Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
    SMH, LU vs NWMSU.
    you have been complaining about money. Mainly that, allegedly, these Michigan schools have tax payer funded scholarships, all of them. Which seems dubious to me. You just seem to talk a lot about IUP being ready to play but when the opportunity arose they didn’t…
    Never said that. what I said is that like in the higher levels there is disparity of who has money which is a forever reality. Either you accept your position or fix the problem. IUP is a regional
    power in foosball because we fund more than almost everyone in Region 1 but not able to go toe to toe with the fully funded 10 schools that make up the D2 elite. I accept that reality until somebody fixes it.

But thank you for playing.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 12-20-2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      Also, don't get me wrong, I don't think being in a crappy conference should exclude anyone from the POs. When Pitt first started making the playoffs, the MIAA was absolute garbage. Conferences can definitely change.
      Yes. Agree 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

We played Shepherd a few weeks prior.

Keep digging your hole.
        I literally said that right in the post lol.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• The playoff fix is the regional pod system, similar to the world cup. Take the top 2 seeds from every region and they become the "host team" of a 4 team mini playoff to the quarterfinals. Increase the playoff slots to 32 instead of 28 with no byes. From there the winner of each pod makes the quarterfinals, and then it is reseeded nationally. From that point, there will be no fluke Semifinal participant. Its a solution that should satisfy the NCAA in less travel for the first couple rounds (flights) and the purists who want to see better competition make it to later stages of the playoffs. It would have most likely resulted in GV and Ferris making the final this year, which I think we can all agree would have been a better showcase for D2 on the national stage.

And Kle... you said it yourself. I'd argue it's higher than 90% as really its 3 schools who are presently playing a different type of D2 than the entirety of the rest of the division. Why do you think the 100 or so other schools should bend over to the will of GV, Ferris and NWMS? I'm not implying that the rest of us are trying to drag you down, I think Shepherd has made tremendous strides in upping their financial commitment to football over the last decade. We are still a ways away, but inching to try and compete with the best. The solution I'm seeing from a lot of you MIAA and GLIAC frontrunners is that we should all go to D3, which frankly is a stupid declaration.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I literally said that right in the post lol.
            Yes but you were being nonsensical.

Grand Valley beat Ferris Bueller in the first meeting and lost the rematch in the playoffs the same day we lost to Shepherd. You did it too. Yours was more hurtful because your bitter rival got the big prize you all thought was going to be yours.

IUP had a real bad day and Shepherd pounced on every mistake..that is why they lost. They didn’t play that great vs Ashland the week before. Their only hope was to win the region and then get rolled the next week. Again we see our reality. You can’t seem to see what the reality is at this level.

There are 10 schools out of 160 plus that are legit title contenders.

Everyone else has no shot.

Comment

No they got moved because the NE10 decided to participate in the post season. A conference had to move. You were the furthest west. Ashland seemed to beat you in recent past. Not sure what you think they were afraid of…a bunch of private schools in Ohio realized they could have their own league and cut down their travel. I’m waiting for Mercyhurdt and Gannon to bolt to the GMAC..the fit the profile of that league better but the Pee Sack public schools are closed.
              Not quite.

The regions became strictly aligned because of a Title IX complaint related to volleyball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                The playoff fix is the regional pod system, similar to the world cup. Take the top 2 seeds from every region and they become the "host team" of a 4 team mini playoff to the quarterfinals. Increase the playoff slots to 32 instead of 28 with no byes. From there the winner of each pod makes the quarterfinals, and then it is reseeded nationally. From that point, there will be no fluke Semifinal participant. Its a solution that should satisfy the NCAA in less travel for the first couple rounds (flights) and the purists who want to see better competition make it to later stages of the playoffs. It would have most likely resulted in GV and Ferris making the final this year, which I think we can all agree would have been a better showcase for D2 on the national stage.

And Kle... you said it yourself. I'd argue it's higher than 90% as really its 3 schools who are presently playing a different type of D2 than the entirety of the rest of the division. Why do you think the 100 or so other schools should bend over to the will of GV, Ferris and NWMS? I'm not implying that the rest of us are trying to drag you down, I think Shepherd has made tremendous strides in upping their financial commitment to football over the last decade. We are still a ways away, but inching to try and compete with the best. The solution I'm seeing from a lot of you MIAA and GLIAC frontrunners is that we should all go to D3, which frankly is a stupid declaration.
                That's a good idea. I understand that some schools just can't fund. I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with conferences that don't allow full funding for those who can.

I do wish there was an option for some of the teams to go d3 or naia for football only. It would allow them to compete for championships.

As far AD the PSAC having too many state football schools. Ks has 4 D2 and 2 D1 state schools. To have the same amount per capita, PA would have 18.668 D2 and 9.334 D1 schools. Do they have more than that?

Comment

As far AD the PSAC having too many state football schools. Ks has 4 D2 and 2 D1 state schools. To have the same amount per capita, PA would have 18.668 D2 and 9.334 D1 schools. Do they have more than that?
                  I was told there would be no math involved.

Comment

• Looking at total post secondary schools, PA has a hair less per capita than KS.

I assume that counts all the jucos?

Comment

That's a good idea. I understand that some schools just can't fund. I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with conferences that don't allow full funding for those who can.

I do wish there was an option for some of the teams to go d3 or naia for football only. It would allow them to compete for championships.

The PSAC has 16 D2 schools, 3 FBS schools, 8 FCS schools, and 28 D3 football sponsoring schools. Not including the JUCO's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

The PSAC has 16 D2 schools, 3 FBS schools, 8 FCS schools, and 28 D3 football sponsoring schools. Not including the JUCO's.
                        If they are all state funded, and all give max football scholllies, they are at 91% of where KS is when looking at fball schollies per capita. That doesn't count JuCos.

KS does have a higher tax burden per capita, though.

I'm not trying to prove a point. Just having fun with numbers.

Comment

Yes but you were being nonsensical.

Grand Valley beat Ferris Bueller in the first meeting and lost the rematch in the playoffs the same day we lost to Shepherd. You did it too. Yours was more hurtful because your bitter rival got the big prize you all thought was going to be yours.

IUP had a real bad day and Shepherd pounced on every mistake..that is why they lost. They didn’t play that great vs Ashland the week before. Their only hope was to win the region and then get rolled the next week. Again we see our reality. You can’t seem to see what the reality is at this level.

There are 10 schools out of 160 plus that are legit title contenders.

Everyone else has no shot.
                          That's literally what I'm saying. So if there's only 10 schools out of 160 that are legit title contenders, we should make sure as many of those 10 go as far as possible in to the playoffs as possible, rather than throwing free spots to poverty SR1.
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

To take this a step further, I think all football divisions in general should be divorced from other sports. Football has such an outsized influence on college athletics and a lot of problems could be solved by just making football its own system.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That's literally what I'm saying. So if there's only 10 schools out of 160 that are legit title contenders, we should make sure as many of those 10 go as far as possible in to the playoffs as possible, rather than throwing free spots to poverty SR1.
                              ****Keep the politics out of the regular areas******

Comment

• Posting here because the other thread got way off topic and is a bit of a mess.

This is an excellent summary by Matt Burglund of why the D2 playoff system is what it is, and why SR1 has failed to be competitive at the national stage. Quite a few quotes from coaches and columnists: https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...08dac051f.html

The underlying theme remains that the programs that benefit most from unregionalized playoffs are the outlier programs in D2. You're not going to get the majority of D2 programs on board with the idea of "get competitive or drop to D3" because they have no incentive to do that... they are the majority. You can push for regional lines to be blurred, certainly; I think that would be a step that improves the Final Four product. But an FCS-style bracket is not realistic. You want an FCS bracket... go to FCS. That's who it's there to serve.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X