Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Playoff Bracket

Describe what you would consider to be the perfect playoff bracket and selection process.

Money is not an issue. Angering those left out is not an issue. Current NCAA playoff guidelines are of no concern.

In fact, any reference to current guidelines in creating you own will result in expulsion!

Start by weeding out the garbage.

1- If your conference doesnt allow teams to have 36 schollies, you're out.
    ----1a if half the teams in your conference aren't at least 90% fully funded, you're out.

​​​​​​2-If your conference is in a silo, you're out.
    ---2a- if you do a conf agreement for ooc games (making a siloesque mess) you're out.

3- If you don't play 10 games against D2 teams with 9 of them being from conferences that aren't DQED by number 1 above, you're out. (Exceptions given for cancelled games)

I think this narrows it enough to help a lot. At this point I will wait for people to suggest some criteria. There are really no national experts on the d2 level, so polls are out. It will likely have to be some kind of metrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

----1a if half the teams in your conference aren't at least 90% fully funded, you're out.

---2a- if you do a conf agreement for ooc games (making a siloesque mess) you're out.

3- If you don't play 10 games against D2 teams with 9 of them being from conferences that aren't DQED by number 1 above, you're out. (Exceptions given for cancelled games)

I think this narrows it enough to help a lot. At this point I will wait for people to suggest some criteria. There are really no national experts on the d2 level, so polls are out. It will likely have to be some kind of metrics.
      If you do all 3 of those things, and do metrics by WP, OWP, OOWP, and rank teams nationally and not regionally, then we'd probably be where we need to be. 28 teams, top 4 get byes.

Even if they wanted to stick to the regional model, I support what cross country does in Division II. More national meet qualifying spots are handed out to schools in regions which perform well at nationals. So if 5 of the top 10 schools at the national championship meet all come from one region, the next year, that region gets to have more schools qualify for the national championship meet than the region that only had 1 team finish in the top 10, for example.
      Last edited by KleShreen; 12-27-2022, 09:02 PM.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

1. How many D2 teams are actually fully funded? I was trying to find whether or not Hays is fully funded the other day and could never find the data I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by washeduptiger View Post
          1. How many D2 teams are actually fully funded? I was trying to find whether or not Hays is fully funded the other day and could never find the data I wanted.
          The last I heard, they were a few years ago, and they have less money problems than most D2 schools.

Comment

• Split the conferences into 4 geographic regions, each with 6 automatic playoff spots
            • Every conference with at least 8 football-playing members gets an automatic bid within their region for the highest-ranked team (not necessarily conference champion)
            • Remaining regional spots are at-large and based primarily on WP, OWP, OOWP metrics
            • The two regions represented by last year's final get one extra playoff spot each. If two teams from the same region make this year's final, then that region gets two extra playoff spots next year
            • This accounts for 26 total playoff spots. The remaining 6 playoff spots are selected by committee, based on metrics, indices like Massey, the d2football/coaches polls, and general knowledge about the strengths of different regions/conferences.
            • Once the 32 playoff teams are selected, distribute the teams into four regions of 8 geographically. Once teams are placed into a region, they are seeded 1-8 primarily based on metrics, but matchups can be shifted by one seed if it benefits travel costs and/or avoids a conference rematch.
            • Reseed the semifinalists 1v4 and 2v3
            I think this provides a realistic balance between regionalization and nationalization. You would likely see one or two GLIAC schools placed with the northeast region every year, which would make the folks on here happy.

Comment

Changing SOS models would be a good start. https://www.patreon.com/posts/applying-margin-75101887

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                Changing SOS models would be a good start. https://www.patreon.com/posts/applying-margin-75101887
                This!
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Honestly the way they do it for FCS looks pretty good to me...

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Comment

Not gonna lie its not all that bad really? GVSU and Ferris ending up in the final would be about correct this year anyway I think? My GLIAC bias aside I could see worse plans than this for sure...Many years ago Brandon and I had come up with a plan where we would go our to a steakhouse and draw the whole thing out on a napkin and call it in to the NCAA...I still think that plan has some merits...but thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Leaving out conferences below 36 scholarships would've left out a recent NC winner, much more recent than even almighty Grand Valley's last natty. Doesn't seem at all perfect, just elitist.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Leaving out conferences below 36 scholarships would've left out a recent NC winner, much more recent than even almighty Grand Valley's last natty. Doesn't seem at all perfect, just elitist.
                          lol why are you so obsessed with Grand Valley? Jealousy? I mean Grand Valley hasn't won a damn thing in so long according to you, yet they keep absolutely burying your team every time they play, so what does that say?
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                            Matt has played around with that and it looks pretty damn good.

Comment

What's the criteria for FCS playoffs?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X