Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Leach Reflecting on What He Enjoyed About His Time in D2

In September, I tweeted in a question to Mike Leach's radio show, asking what he had enjoyed most about coaching in D2. A lot of coaches may have listed a couple of things in a sentence or 2. Leach went on for over 10 minutes, filling a whole segment.

There's the obligatory crazy Leach story like seeing David Allen Coe after a Blazers game at the Valdosta American Legion with a $10 t-bone steak (not the best steak in the world), but he reiterates over and over the same things we all love about D2 like exciting and meaningful football...or telling the relatives they'd miss some really great football along the way when they suddenly all wanted tickets when he got to D1 at Kentucky.

Fast forward to the 41:30 mark.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...23243664714367

THAT was awesome....thanks so much for sharing that with us...what a great dude Mike was...no one else on the planet like him. Thanks Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
      THAT was awesome....thanks so much for sharing that with us...what a great dude Mike was...no one else on the planet like him. Thanks Andy!
      Every episode of his Thursday night show was gold. He'd talk for 2-3 minutes about last week's game and then 2-3 minutes about next week's game. The rest was one story after the next or crazy hypotheticals like "If it was just you and a tiger on a deserted island, how would you survive?" He'd talk about this old trapper named Timber Jack Joe who you could smell a couple blocks away before he got to you in the Cody, WY Christmas parade. What a gem he was!

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
        In September, I tweeted in a question to Mike Leach's radio show, asking what he had enjoyed most about coaching in D2. A lot of coaches may have listed a couple of things in a sentence or 2. Leach went on for over 10 minutes, filling a whole segment.

There's the obligatory crazy Leach story like seeing David Allen Coe after a Blazers game at the Valdosta American Legion with a $10 t-bone steak (not the best steak in the world), but he reiterates over and over the same things we all love about D2 like exciting and meaningful football...or telling the relatives they'd miss some really great football along the way when they suddenly all wanted tickets when he got to D1 at Kentucky.

Fast forward to the 41:30 mark.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...23243664714367
        Very cool…first I learned about VSU was back in 1994 when they whooped New Haven. Mumme and Leach were both there.

The Air Raid looked an awful lot to me like the real-life version of the early Madden games when you can call the same few plays and they would work every time. Send everyone deep and throw it as far as you can. It amazes me how small Leach’s playbook was and it didn’t matter-everywhere he went, it worked.

Sure the offense and variations of it are everywhere now, but college football’s a bit more boring with him gone, and that’s not good.

Comment

Love this! Thanks for posting!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X