Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by laker View Post

UNO dropping football (which I hated) also probably helped MSU to the 2014 title game with the offensive linemen who came from that area.
    Nebraska Omaha…IUP beat them the two times they faced off. Once in Indiana (they weren’t scared to come here unlike others) and once in Omaha. 2003 and 2005.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Of course. I have been doing this crap for over two decades. I probably know the dynamics of each area of the country better than almost anyone.

It's not easy like you envision, but it's also harder than it is in your neck of the woods.

In 2004, I had zero compassion for the schools that sponsored a D1 sport but tried to reduce scholarships in football.

I have always had compassion for IUP because of what the conference did to them.
      You do realize that was 30 years ago.

And it ended 15 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

But the consequences from it are still with us.

Somebody should have gone to jail for that crime against IUP.

:-)

Comment

Of course, but I believe momentum is real.

Comment

It's easier to tear down than to build back.

Comment

Please elaborate. In 1994, the NCAA scholarship limit dropped to 36. The PSAC limit gradually reduced to 25 in 1996.

In 1993, IUP had 29. But per an earlier post from Burgland, at no time from 1998-2012 was IUP above 22. One would think if they were previously at 29, and their conference capped them to 25, that they would have been up against that cap from that time forward. Or leave the conference in search of a more accommodating one.

Comment

• Is it easy to get into a psac school? Do they have high academic requirements like Truman or Mines?

I ask because I wonder if they have capped enrollments.

That would put them at a disadvantage in a way. Schools like that don't have sales in their mission like schools who are trying to grow do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  Is it easy to get into a psac school? Do they have high academic requirements like Truman or Mines?

That would put them at a disadvantage in a way. Schools like that don't have sales in their mission like schools who are trying to grow do.
                  I think that is more like an overabundance of schools. One thing that has helped Shepherd with funding is that the area around the school is growing. More people + More businesses + More alumni = More money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I think that is more like an overabundance of schools. One thing that has helped Shepherd with funding is that the area around the school is growing. More people + More businesses + More alumni = More money.
                    Most MIAA schools are in that same boat. They are trying to grow enrollment, and have sales and fundraising as an integral part of their mission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      Is it easy to get into a psac school? Do they have high academic requirements like Truman or Mines?

Capped? Enrollment across the system has dropped like a rock since the peak around 2010-2012. It’s why they consolidated 6 schools into two triads. It’s a joke.

IUP had 15K a decade ago. Now it’s like 9500 students. Only West Chester has a higher enrollment than a decade ago.
                      Last edited by IUPNation; 02-28-2023, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Please elaborate. In 1994, the NCAA scholarship limit dropped to 36. The PSAC limit gradually reduced to 25 in 1996.

In 1993, IUP had 29. But per an earlier post from Burgland, at no time from 1998-2012 was IUP above 22. One would think if they were previously at 29, and their conference capped them to 25, that they would have been up against that cap from that time forward. Or leave the conference in search of a more accommodating one.
                        You are assuming all of the money in 1993 was endowed. It could be the yearly haul was cut to stay under the limit. Also IUP got slammed by Title IX violations in the 90’sxwere maybe some funding got shifted when more women’s sports were added to be in compliance.

After Frank retired, donors didn’t warm up to The Lou Tepper and His son Curt didn’t rub the locals well either so there is about a decade of pre 1993 funding maybe not being there. It’s probably why some donations shifted to the much popular Joe Lombardi and his basketball program. A lot happened and we’ve yet to recover from the rest of the Pee Sack stabbing IUP in the back.

I gather by the locals who post that Torterella is well liked by donors so maybe fund raising is finally slowly back on the upswing. He does get the transfers.
                        Last edited by IUPNation; 02-28-2023, 12:11 PM.

Comment

(1) Please elaborate. In 1994, the NCAA scholarship limit dropped to 36. The PSAC limit gradually reduced to 25 in 1996.

(2) In 1993, IUP had 29. But per an earlier post from Burgland, at no time from 1998-2012 was IUP above 22. One would think if they were previously at 29, and their conference capped them to 25, that they would have been up against that cap from that time forward. (3) Or leave the conference in search of a more accommodating one.

(1) How can I elaborate on the concept of momentum?

(2) I can only speculate. My speculation might be totally off.

IUP was dominating the region and winning a lot of games. They were semifinalists in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, and 1994. They made the championship game in 1990 and 1993.

Scholarships are reduced by the conference by 1996. When did the reductions begin? It's hard not to see at least a correlation between reductions and IUP achievement.

But back to the speculation on momentum. IUP sees that the reductions are hurting the programs ability to go deep in the playoffs and win the region, much less win a national championship.

Decisions are made in the athletic department. "If we can't fund enough to get to the national championship, why don't we simply fund at a level to be competitive regionally?

Reductions in higher ed contributions are happening around them. "Let's divert and better balance funds since we can't win it all anymore." They are no longer bumping up against the 25 limit.

Success on the field wanes. Interest wanes. IUP Is just another PSAC program.

In the near past, the limitations are removed. But people who would have been supporting a nationally relevant IUP are no longer as interested in financially supporting. It's not as easy to get people to start giving again as it would have been to keep them supporting the program.

Quite frankly, some of the previous supporters are no longer with us and their families didn't have the same experience they did.

(3) You know that's political suicide and a non-starter in Pennsylvania. It's not even relevant.

Record Playoff Appearances Semifinals Championship Game
                          10-2 1987 - -
                          8-3 1988 - -
                          11-2 1989 1989 -
                          12-2 1990 1990 1990
                          12-1 1991 1991 -
                          8-1-1 x - -
                          13-1 1993 1993 1993
                          10-3 1994 1994 -
                          8-3 x - -
                          8-3 1996 - -
                          5-5 x - -
                          10-2 1998 - -
                          9-4 1999 1999 -

Comment

(1) How can I elaborate on the concept of momentum?

(2) I can only speculate. My speculation might be totally off.

IUP was dominating the region and winning a lot of games. They were semifinalists in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, and 1994. They made the championship game in 1990 and 1993.

Scholarships are reduced by the conference by 1996. When did the reductions begin? It's hard not to see at least a correlation between reductions and IUP achievement.

But back to the speculation on momentum. IUP sees that the reductions are hurting the programs ability to go deep in the playoffs and win the region, much less win a national championship.

Decisions are made in the athletic department. "If we can't fund enough to get to the national championship, why don't we simply fund at a level to be competitive regionally?

Reductions in higher ed contributions are happening around them. "Let's divert and better balance funds since we can't win it all anymore." They are no longer bumping up against the 25 limit.

Success on the field wanes. Interest wanes. IUP Is just another PSAC program.

In the near past, the limitations are removed. But people who would have been supporting a nationally relevant IUP are no longer as interested in financially supporting. It's not as easy to get people to start giving again as it would have been to keep them supporting the program.

Quite frankly, some of the previous supporters are no longer with us and their families didn't have the same experience they did.

(3) You know that's political suicide and a non-starter in Pennsylvania. It's not even relevant.
                            Record Playoff Appearances Semifinals Championship Game
                            10-2 1987 - -
                            8-3 1988 - -
                            11-2 1989 1989 -
                            12-2 1990 1990 1990
                            12-1 1991 1991 -
                            8-1-1 x - -
                            13-1 1993 1993 1993
                            10-3 1994 1994 -
                            8-3 x - -
                            8-3 1996 - -
                            5-5 x - -
                            10-2 1998 - -
                            9-4 1999 1999 -
                            Thanks for your explanation on momentum and glad you figured it out.

PSAC football scholarship limit
                            1994 - 30
                            1995 - 28
                            1996 - 26

And now we're learning that there were Title IX violations and ineffective fundraiser as coach.

(3) Bad sentence structure again. "You know...." No I don't. There's someone on this message board always saying how revolutionary and forward thinking the school is, so why not? In 2014, legislation was introduced that would have done just that.

Comment

Thanks for your explanation on momentum and glad you figured it out.

PSAC football scholarship limit
                              1994 - 30
                              1995 - 28
                              1996 - 26

And now we're learning that there were Title IX violations and ineffective fundraiser as coach.

(3) Bad sentence structure again. "You know...." No I don't. There's someone on this message board always saying how revolutionary and forward thinking the school is, so why not? In 2014, legislation was introduced that would have done just that.
                              It wasn’t poor sentence structure. Instead, it was an assumption in a hastily written post.

I am unconcerned with any hyperbolic claims made by anyone else in this thread.

Is it your position that IUP could have moved to a different conference without suffering any political consequences in the state?

Comment

It wasn’t poor sentence structure. Instead, it was an assumption in a hastily written post.

I am unconcerned with any hyperbolic claims made by anyone else in this thread.

Is it your position that IUP could have moved to a different conference without suffering any political consequences in the state?
                                I'll just say this. No Division II team in West Virginia wants to play Shepherd since it left the MEC. In fact, I have heard that the MEC has told institutions not to schedule Shepherd in football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X