Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then demand they switch regions instead of coming for the Northeast. Why shouldn’t YOUR conference be put in with one of them. Aren’t you just having it easy in Region 4. The Northern Sun is SILO and doesn’t even play a conference championship game when it could but somehow our region is the problem?
    You cannot simply objectively look at the results from the playoffs the last several years and not see a difference. There is being and advocate, and then there is being a leach. Every region shouldn't be guaranteed to be the final 2 of the final 8 teams playing. An effort should be made to get the best 8 teams, regardless of region, conference to be the last 8 teams playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I'm not singling out the NE, but over the last 20 years or so, it's not uncommon to see playoff teams that would be middle of the pack at best in a power conference, and not unheard of to see a po team that would only win 2 to 4 games in a power conference.

Look at UNK for example. They went from getting a 1st round bye while playing in the RMAC in 2011 to going 3-8 in the MIAA in 2012.

Truman struggled mightily near the bottom of the MIAA for a long time, but started making the playoffs right away in the GLVC. I'm sure there is similar evidence amongst the other power conferences.

Because of that, I pretty strongly disagree that the rest of the playoff field is on pretty similar footing. If they are, then clearly the selection process is super broken.

I've seen evidence of that too sure. There are teams every year in every region that fit that profile and they typically get blown out in the first round unless they "luck out" and are forced to play a team they competed with in conference in the first round.

Who do you feel was snubbed out of the playoff field this year?

Comment

• I'm fiddling with a wins-above-bubble type of system... this is what I got for 13 at-large spots (assuming Wayne State gets the NSIC auto bid):
        1. Ferris State
        2. West Florida
        3. Davenport
        4. Minnesota State
        5. Shepherd
        6. Limestone
        7. Wingate
        8. West Georgia
        9. Virginia Union
        10. Northwest Missouri State
        11. Saginaw Valley State
        12. Harding
        13. Truman

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I've seen evidence of that too sure. There are teams every year in every region that fit that profile and they typically get blown out in the first round unless they "luck out" and are forced to play a team they competed with in conference in the first round.

Who do you feel was snubbed out of the playoff field this year?
          If a guy named reload asks,, I didn't say this,, but ESU comes to mind from the MIAA. Their defense wasn't too far behind that of Pitt and NW this season, and their O was probably the better of those 3 teams. They could have beaten a lot of the playoff teams, imo.

I watched every MIAA game this year, so I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the Countr, but I imagine several teams were in that same boat.

Comment

I do believe that Region 1 wouldn't just lose every single playoff game they played if paired outside their "region."
            I agree with this as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
              I'm fiddling with a wins-above-bubble type of system... this is what I got for 13 at-large spots (assuming Wayne State gets the NSIC auto bid):
              1. Ferris State
              2. West Florida
              3. Davenport
              4. Minnesota State
              5. Shepherd
              6. Limestone
              7. Wingate
              8. West Georgia
              9. Virginia Union
              10. Northwest Missouri State
              11. Saginaw Valley State
              12. Harding
              13. Truman
              How did you come up with this list?

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

While a whole conference is slower to shift, a single team can definitely do so in a year. It is important that there is still an opportunity for that to happen, and a way to make sure it is rewarded.
                Yea, and I wasn't meaning to imply different than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then demand they switch regions instead of coming for the Northeast. Why shouldn’t YOUR conference be put in with one of them. Aren’t you just having it easy in Region 4. The Northern Sun is SILO and doesn’t even play a conference championship game when it could but somehow our region is the problem?
                  The Northern Sun has produced two national champions and two other runners-up since 2008. The PSAC hasn't produced either since 2000. They've shown they're capable of beating the best of the best.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think this argument has met the end point. Some are arguing what the ruling might ultimately be politically speaking and you seem to be arguing for what you believe to be the only way it should be. I agree with you mostly. Region 1 hasn't earned 25% of the entire bracket, but I think some are underselling that the entirety of the region is garbage. I am definitely Biased and I do believe that Region 1 wouldn't just lose every single playoff game they played if paired outside their "region."

It's been beat to hell, but there is a top 4-6 teams and then everyone else, IMO, is on pretty similar footing after that.
                    They wouldn't lose every single game. I don't think anyone is saying teams from SR1 don't deserve to be in the playoffs at all. What I have tried to argue is that no region deserves to be guaranteed 7 spots, and guaranteed to have a team in the semi finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                      Here's my stab at what I think a realistic immediate step would be. Playoff selection is the exact same as it currently is. Seed teams 1-8, with each SR getting at least 1 seed. Seeded teams placed in SR quadrants as close as is applicable. Any unseeded teams in their SR's top 4 were kept in their SR, and unseeded teams outside their SR's top 4 were fluid and could be moved to other SR's.

It's not perfect. I think there's room to improve the distribution of teams across the SR3 and SR4 quadrants if more teams could be flexed out of region (for example, NWMSU swapping in for Bemidji gets rid of a conference rematch). But as a first step, I think it represents an improvement for the "competitiveness" crowd without completely alienating the "regionality" crowd. Because, clearly, no solution is going to completely please everyone.

Sorry, not sure why the image is so blurry... something about the upload I guess.

Click image for larger version Name:	altbracket1.png Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	743996
                      In my opinion, this is not an improvement. Plus, there are more flights than either really happened or theoretically happened in the FCS format.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

The Northern Sun has produced two national champions and two other runners-up since 2008. The PSAC hasn't produced either since 2000. They've shown they're capable of beating the best of the best.
                        Since 2000, I believe there have been 5 national champs outside of SR3 or SR4, and 4 of them have Valdosta State. I think every effort should be made to put the top 28 teams in the playoffs. No system will be perfect, but I think it can be better. Then, I think the conversation should change to what can be done, if anything, to help elevate the level of play in areas where it's a little behind so that teams in what is now an SR that maybe went from 7 spots down to 5 earned their way back to 7 or 8 spots. That would be great for D2 football IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

In my opinion, this is not an improvement. Plus, there are more flights than either really happened or theoretically happened in the FCS format.
                          Thank you for your honesty, at least. Sadly, I suspect we will probably never come to any form of agreement on this.

Comment

For me that's the hard part.. has to be some consideration for travel obviously, and pairings the first couple rounds would not be as simple as straight up seeds, just as they aren't in FCS. In FCS, teams bid for the right to host games. It's not the only consideration, as supposedly North Dakota out bid a number of teams that hosted this year and still didn't get a home game, but the brackets certainly aren't completely based on seed. Imagine throwing that complexity into this conversation!!

Comment

How did you come up with this list?
                              Making a lot of assumptions...

I went back to the MOV-based SOS spreadsheet and tried to estimate expected win totals for the 13th-best non-champion against each team's schedule, then compared it to actual results. (Of course it doesn't work well for silos, but nothing does...)

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Thank you for your honesty, at least. Sadly, I suspect we will probably never come to any form of agreement on this.
                                I think that's the case. I believe you've been discussing this in good faith the entire time and I really respect that. We simply disagree.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X