Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Championship Venue

What are people on the board's opinion on having the D2 Championship at McKinney ISD's high school stadium? I left this question broad intentionally as there are many possible interpretations of this question, and I want to hear (read) any thoughts you may have. Is there a stigma to having the title game at a high school stadium?
    Go Bronchos!

Fine ... it's nicer than most D2 stadiums, it's in a warmer climate, it's a neutral site, airports near by and, most importantly, they bid for it and wanted it. How many cities the week before Christmas want this event (excluding all Northern cities)? That's the sound of crickets by the way.

Comment

My only knock is it being an exlcusive high school stadium (meaning no college also uses it as their home field). Outside of that I agree with Try II and it checks off pretty much every other box.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
        What are people on the board's opinion on having the D2 Championship at McKinney ISD's high school stadium? I left this question broad intentionally as there are many possible interpretations of this question, and I want to hear (read) any thoughts you may have. Is there a stigma to having the title game at a high school stadium?
        It's literally nicer than almost every D2 facility..at least on camera it does. I mean the only D2 venue that is equal or better is West Texas A&M's beautiful facility.

It seems like a good choice. It's nobody's home field and it's located in a major metro area that easy to get to by air. It's also near plenty of hotels. There is no need for fans to book up rooms months in advance in hope their team makes to to the game only to have to cancel them when they bow out. I hear that is what the MO was for most when the game was in Florence with the limited amount of hotel rooms.
        Last edited by IUPNation; 03-16-2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Haven't not seen it first hand, there appears to be a lot of pluses for McKinney. The stadium looks like it checks every box. Still, I'm not sure how great the Friday night fan experience and tailgating are. I'm not talking about BBQ and the like, but places to gather with a group of like minded fans. I just don't have any data on that part.

And, for me, I think the biggest issue is location. Yes, it's not too bad to fly into Dallas, but due to it's location, it's not that cost effective for many to fly, get that rental, etc. Personally I'm good with having to fly, but I think it locks out a lot of potential fans from attending. So, yeah, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but a location more in the middle MIGHT allow more to take a drive vs almost forcing one to fly.
          And, FWIW, there were bids from northern locations. I'm not saying they were better, but they were submitted when Florence quit hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
            Haven't not seen it first hand, there appears to be a lot of pluses for McKinney. The stadium looks like it checks every box. Still, I'm not sure how great the Friday night fan experience and tailgating are. I'm not talking about BBQ and the like, but places to gather with a group of like minded fans. I just don't have any data on that part.

And, for me, I think the biggest issue is location. Yes, it's not too bad to fly into Dallas, but due to it's location, it's not that cost effective for many to fly, get that rental, etc. Personally I'm good with having to fly, but I think it locks out a lot of potential fans from attending. So, yeah, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but a location more in the middle MIGHT allow more to take a drive vs almost forcing one to fly.
            And, FWIW, there were bids from northern locations. I'm not saying they were better, but they were submitted when Florence quit hosting.
            I think that's a fair analysis of Friday nights after the championship game left Florence.

It's also harder to have Friday night activities the farther people have to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post
              Fine ... it's nicer than most D2 stadiums, it's in a warmer climate, it's a neutral site, airports near by and, most importantly, they bid for it and wanted it. How many cities the week before Christmas want this event (excluding all Northern cities)? That's the sound of crickets by the way.
              This.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think that's a fair analysis of Friday nights after the championship game left Florence.

It's also harder to have Friday night activities the farther people have to travel.
                I think a week notice for fans to plan a trip to the game hinders attendance. Many will need to take time off which may not always be possible. Last minute flights can be expensive unless you are booking it minutes after your semi final game has ended. If you drive, you have to plan a day or two for travel depending how far away you are from North Texas.

They should hold the D2 and 3 title games the same day as the FCS game in January. It will never happen but you’d probably see better attendance.
                Last edited by IUPNation; 03-17-2023, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think a week notice for fans to plan a trip to the game hinders attendance. Many will need to take time off which may not always be possible. Last minute flights can be expensive unless you are booking it minutes after your semi final game has ended. If you drive, you have to plan a day or two for travel depending how far away you are from North Texas.

They should hold the D2 and 3 title games the same day as the FCS game in January. It will never happen but you’d probably see better attendance.
                  I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I agree.
                    Frisco and McKinney are right next to each other. They could have a combined fan experience for both games. The two stadiums are not far apart.

The NCAA doesn’t do anything smart.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 03-17-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Frisco and McKinney are right next to each other. They could have a combined fan experience for both games. The two stadiums are not far apart.

The NCAA doesn’t do anything smart.
                      I understand the desire to let it stand on your own and not lump them all together, whether that's a directive from the NCAA or elsewhere. But then again there needs to be the understanding that it won't be a major event. Is it more or less beneficial if D2 has its title game in the shadow of the FCS game?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I understand the desire to let it stand on your own and not lump them all together, whether that's a directive from the NCAA or elsewhere. But then again there needs to be the understanding that it won't be a major event. Is it more or less beneficial if D2 has its title game in the shadow of the FCS game?
                        It would be part of a double header on TV.

2 games, 2 towns, one day. I’m kind of surprised Frisco and McKinney haven’t pushed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

The FCS title game is on ABC. The D2 and D3 title games have gone against bowl games. What channel was last years game on? Was it the U? Heck I would try to package the three as a triple header, even if they are at different locations. Stagg Bowl at 11, D2 at 2:30, FCS as Saturday Night Football.
                          Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post

The FCS title game is on ABC. The D2 and D3 title games have gone against bowl games. What channel was last years game on? Was it the U? Heck I would try to package the three as a triple header, even if they are at different locations. Stagg Bowl at 11, D2 at 2:30, FCS as Saturday Night Football.
                            Doesn't the FCS championship game occur the same weekend as the final week of the NFL regular season since the league added another game? If so, I'd feel more comfortable scheduling all the lower divisions championships against NFL week 18 than FBS bowl games. Let's be honest most of the NFL playoff spots/seeds are already secured in week 18. A handful of games matter that weekend, but not the entire slate.

I'm not a TV exec with a job on the line, but I think it would be worth trying it for a season or two. I'd be willing to bet the D2 and D3 championships would get higher ratings than usual in your suggestion.

SN: Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium at the Naval Academy is way too big of a venue for the Stagg Bowl.

Comment

great stadium, decent weather. they want it

good for them

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X