Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Long overdue. No offense, but Mankato's stadium is pretty blah compared to some of the other D2 powers, especially the press box. At least that was the case when I covered a UMD-Mankato in 2016.
    No offense taken, it's been time.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

That's just to start. Grand Valley, and Augustana come to mind. Just waiting on Conference invites
      What makes the most sense in the short term for GVSU is all-sports in the Horizon, and OVC associate membership for football, until they have enough of a track record to join the MVFC. But I get the sense that the Horizon doesn't want GVSU, and I suspect it's because they know that GVSU would compete immediately, eventually dominate the conference, and potentially outgrow them (and subsequently depart for the MVC or MAC). So they're probably stuck in D2 unless/until they're willing to stomach the OVC for all-sports.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

What makes the most sense in the short term for GVSU is all-sports in the Horizon, and OVC associate membership for football, until they have enough of a track record to join the MVFC. But I get the sense that the Horizon doesn't want GVSU, and I suspect it's because they know that GVSU would compete immediately, eventually dominate the conference, and potentially outgrow them (and subsequently depart for the MVC or MAC). So they're probably stuck in D2 unless/until they're willing to stomach the OVC for all-sports.
        That would be my take as well. Not to mention the GV fans believe whole heartedly that the Horizon Michigan schools won't ever invite them out of spite?
        Who knows if the OVC even would take them, but that's what makes sense at the moment outside of Horizon

Comment

Teams aren't usually turned down for being "too good" it's normally about dollar signs. If GV Can make the conference money, they'll get in.

Comment

With the future of the Gulf South in jeopardy, we could see a potential D1 move by a couple of the current members in the next several years.

Comment

I remember when I was at Pitt and living with some of the players there was rumblings about some very early talks about Pitt moving up to D1. That was back around 01-03 time period. The guys all agreed it really wasn't the best idea. But I think with the upper deck being just completed and the plans for the west side renovations coming together. I think there was just a bit of hype about it.

Comment

Another school is closing. Iowa Wesleyan is NAIA but was D3 in the UMAC when I saw them play.

Southeast Iowa university announces closure at end of academic year | KTVO

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X