Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many full scholarship players do they have?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many full scholarship players do they have?

There have been rumors of schools manipulating (all legal) the scholarship limits to their advantage, and D2football should conduct anonymous surveys of head coaches to find out how many full scholarship student-athletes they have. For those who are not familiar with the D2 football program, it's important to note that there is a limit to the number of scholarships that a school can offer to its players. The limit is 36 full scholarships. However, some people have suggested that schools are manipulating the scholarship limit by offering full scholarships to players from certain states. This allows the school to give out more scholarships than the limit allows. For example, if a school has a different tuition rate for students from a particular state, a student's scholarship may only cost 0.75 instead of the full amount of 1.

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
    There have been rumors of schools manipulating (all legal) the scholarship limits to their advantage, and D2football should conduct anonymous surveys of head coaches to find out how many full scholarship student-athletes they have. For those who are not familiar with the D2 football program, it's important to note that there is a limit to the number of scholarships that a school can offer to its players. The limit is 36 full scholarships. However, some people have suggested that schools are manipulating the scholarship limit by offering full scholarships to players from certain states. This allows the school to give out more scholarships than the limit allows. For example, if a school has a different tuition rate for students from a particular state, a student's scholarship may only cost 0.75 instead of the full amount of 1.
    Those aren't rumors. Most schools have in state rates for out of state students right on their website. Some cover neighboring states, some just cover certain counties in other states, and others cover the entire country.

Although I think your wording confuses the issues. Very few athletes in d2 get a full scholarship. It's very rare. The 36 equivalencies are more often used to give partial scholarships.

Comment

Here is Pitt State's tuition schedule including the list of states who get the in state rate.
      https://www.pittstate.edu/admission/...tml#undefined1

That's 33 states if anyone is counting.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        Here is Pitt State's tuition schedule including the list of states who get the in state rate.
        https://www.pittstate.edu/admission/...tml#undefined1

That's 33 states if anyone is counting.
        With how little funding schools get from states anymore, it just seems reasonable to not change tuition rates.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
          With how little funding schools get from states anymore, it just seems reasonable to not change tuition rates.
          Agreed!

Comment

College enrollment is shrinking nationwide. Any out of state money that comes in is a boon. Out of state rates will be a thing of the past across the Country soon.

KS hits double jeopardy as a shrinking state. They are hitting evolve or die mode in higher education. quicker than some other states may be.

Comment

While I was playing we’d have guys brag about being on a full ride from time to time… what that meant 9/10 times was they had an athletic scholly, an academic scolly for a gpa over 3, a Pell grant, and usually some other scholarship offered by Hays where I think finding money usually was pretty easy if you filled out the applications.

Hays, similar to Pitt, has a ton of states that receive in state tuition and cost of living is dirt cheap so it’s fairly easy to make it to “full ride”

As a side point I did see numerous kids on twitter say they got a full ride from different D2 schools this recruiting cycle and I have to believe it’s similar to what I’m saying in first paragraph/run on sentence.

Comment

Another thing to factor in is that you don't need to be at 36 scholarships during the season. I don't know the exact date but the date that programs need to be at 36 scholarships is during the winter semester. So coaches can find ways to reduce scholarships after the season. Players quitting, transferring, graduating, taking gap semester or getting a scholarship reduction after the season allows them to be over 36 during the season. Example - Player X is a 5th year senior and graduates after the fall semester so he is only on scholarship for half the academic year. He could be on a 0.8 for the fall but that only counts as 0.4 in the winter when the program has to be at 36.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                  Another thing to factor in is that you don't need to be at 36 scholarships during the season. I don't know the exact date but the date that programs need to be at 36 scholarships is during the winter semester. So coaches can find ways to reduce scholarships after the season. Players quitting, transferring, graduating, taking gap semester or getting a scholarship reduction after the season allows them to be over 36 during the season. Example - Player X is a 5th year senior and graduates after the fall semester so he is only on scholarship for half the academic year. He could be on a 0.8 for the fall but that only counts as 0.4 in the winter when the program has to be at 36.
                  I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Comment

More and more schools are doing away with out of state tuition. Previously, some schools would get/be able afford 36 out of state scholarships (say $20,000 x 36 = 720,000) which was better than having 36 in state scholarships (say $15,000 X 36 = 540,000). Both have 36 scholarships but the out of state one has $180k more to play with. That's can get you a few more dudes

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      College enrollment is shrinking nationwide. Any out of state money that comes in is a boon. Out of state rates will be a thing of the past across the Country soon.

KS hits double jeopardy as a shrinking state. They are hitting evolve or die mode in higher education. quicker than some other states may be.
                      This is an interesting thought. I know Delta State's enrollment is falling. Out of state and in state students pay the same.

I wonder if schools will start combining campuses as a potential fix?

I bring this up, because Delta State and Mississippi Valley State are close to each other. Like DSU, MVSU is also struggling with enrollment numbers. I think it would be a good idea to combine the schools. Obviously, it's easier said than done and there are a ton of obstacles. But I think that would help some schools.
                      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X