Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if a D-II school made the right decision to go D-I?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
    Was talking realignment on CSN and UCF was brought up.

They may be the biggest success story for a school coming from lower divisions to the P5. The Knights were D3 in the late 70s, D2 in the 80s (UNA played them several times), I-AA in the 90s, and into FBS as an Indy in the late 90s. Then, the MAC, to CUSA, to the AAC, and now to the Big 12. An interesting and impressive 45 years of transitions for them.
    Orlando metro area is 2.5 million people and growing. Their large TV market made for an easy choice by the Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

If my memory severs me correctly they would have made the playoffs in 2021 but weren’t elegible yet.
      You are correct. They did lose their coach and took a little step back last season. It'll be interesting which way they move next season.

Comment

They may be the biggest success story for a school coming from lower divisions to the P5. The Knights were D3 in the late 70s, D2 in the 80s (UNA played them several times), I-AA in the 90s, and into FBS as an Indy in the late 90s. Then, the MAC, to CUSA, to the AAC, and now to the Big 12. An interesting and impressive 45 years of transitions for them.
        They even held the title of the Man for a bit in 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
          Is there any evidence of a d3 school moving up to d2 and being successful? I always imagine Washington and Jefferson moving to the PSAC and how they would do?
          Not D3 but NAIA University of Sioux Falls made an immediate impact in football upon joining the NSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Not D3 but NAIA University of Sioux Falls made an immediate impact in football upon joining the NSIC.
            Pitt came from NAIA and there are many others who did the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Pitt came from NAIA and there are many others who did the same.
              I don't know much about NAIA but I assume their athletic departments are closer in talent to D2 than D3?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I don't know much about NAIA but I assume their athletic departments are closer in talent to D2 than D3?
                idk much about d3.

Naia is like D2.5. Less schollies, but lower academic requirements.

Comment

idk much about d3.

Yeah, I don't know much about D3 either. It seems to be a mixed bag. Lots of schools that can legitimately compete like Whitewater, but a lot that are just kinda there. I guess the same can be said for every division, but D3 seems so much more diverse.

Comment

As far as moving up goes, some schools definitely Peter principle out and just get in over their heads. Others use it as an opportunity to thrive.

I think it has to be done with overall growth in mind. It can't be the only driving force, but needs to be a small part of the big pic growth plan.

Comment

IUP played them in the 1987 Playoffs in the Citrus Bowl. It was IUP's first ever NCAA playoff appearance. We lost 12-10.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP played them in the 1987 Playoffs in the Citrus Bowl. It was IUP's first ever NCAA playoff appearance. We lost 12-10.

Here's a cool vintage recap of UCF beating UNA on a last-second FG in the Citrus Bowl in 1988.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

idk much about d3.

12 fewer scholarships, but non-varsity scholarships don't count against the number.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

What is the best example of any D2 school moving up in the last 50 years? There's some that find FCS football success, like NDSU. But who are the success stories at the Division I level as a whole, or FBS football? Boise State is the best football example in the last 50 years, and their ceiling was winning the Fiesta Bowl. They have not been competitive in any other sport. NDSU, for all the FCS titles they have won, have not won anything in any other sport. And those are the two most successful examples! Anyone moving up is torpedoing their entire athletic program from winning anything besides maybe in one sport, if they hyperfocus all their assets there.
                            NDSU men's basketball has made four NCAA Tourney's and beat Oklahoma in 2014. Not torpedoing there ... baseball has also been good, making the NCAA's twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

12 fewer scholarships, but non-varsity scholarships don't count against the number.
                              We used to say NAIA stood for "No Athletic Investigations Allowed".

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

NDSU men's basketball has made four NCAA Tourney's and beat Oklahoma in 2014. Not torpedoing there ... baseball has also been good, making the NCAA's twice.
                                If those are the "highlights" of the athletic department outside of football, then the athletic department has failed. If you put yourself in a position where the absolute best you can hope for is just MAKING the NCAA tournament in a sport and MAYBE pulling an upset in the first round, then you've failed.
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X