3 Notre Dame (OH) 9-1 9-1
    4 Indiana (PA) 9-1 9-1
    5 Shepherd 8-2 8-2
    6 West Virginia St. 7-2 7-2
    7 West Chester 8-2 8-2
    8 Tiffin 8-1 8-1
    9 Urbana 7-3 7-3
    10 Ohio Dominican 6-2 6-2
    It's the final week of the season and I'm surprised this hasn't been more of a topic, but what are thoughts on the most recent rankings, or the process in general?

To me the G-MAC is getting absolutely hosed while the MEC and PSAC are WAY overvalued. The glaring problem here is the fact that at 6-3, the freakin Urbana University Knights are even sniffing the top ten, much less being in ninth. All their games have been against conference opponents and the MEC, let's face it, is not that good outside of their top two or maybe three.

So let's say that a 3-loss team does deserve to be in, here's where I'd actually argue for the Oilers. All else aside, let's look at losses. Both Findlay and Urbana lost to Notre Dame, Findlay by 5 on the road, Urbana by 20 at home. Advantage FINDLAY. Another Urbana loss is to Frostburg State who, while they're 8-2, look at their most recent win, a ten-point win at home to winless Kentucky Wesleyan. Findlay's other loss, #2 Ferris State (heard of them), and it was by one point on the road. As far as those two losses go, advantage FINDLAY. Then the most obvious problem, a 31-7 loss at home to a sub-.500 Fairmont State team. That's an absolute beat down. Findlay's last loss, Ohio Dominican, who we all know is a good program and this season, has beaten a top-25 team on the road (Shepherd). Again, advantage FINDLAY.

WHAT IS THE COMMITTEE DOING HERE??

Let's look at the 'Let's Get Oily' Regional Ranking (maybe I'm biased, but I doubt there's a three-loss team in the region with a better resume than Findlay / so I gave them the 10th spot because if they beat Tiffin this week, 100% the Oilers deserve a playoff spot)
    SUPER REGION ONE
    1 Kutztown 10-0 10-0
    2 Slippery Rock 9-0 10-0
    3 Notre Dame (OH) 9-1 9-1
    4 Indiana (PA) 9-1 9-1
    5 Tiffin 8-1 8-1
    6 Shepherd 8-2 8-2
    7 West Virginia St. 7-2 7-2
    8 Ohio Dominican 6-2 6-2
    9 West Chester 8-2 8-2
    10 Findlay 7-3 7-3

I've pointed it out on the PSAC board but I agree, Urbana being ranked is atrocious. I generally agree with your ranking, if anything I think WV State is ranked too high. Not only should Findlay be ranked above Urbana, but California should be ranked above Urbana as well. The committee has to be adhering too closely to some flawed metric, because otherwise I do not see any logical explanation for Urbana over Findlay. Luckily I think Urbana will save the committee for themselves by losing to Truman State.

Comment

This week will be very interesting because there are quite a few games that could either help or hurt a team on the outside looking in. Notre Dame has West Virginia St. on the road this week. An NDC win would end WV St.'s season you would think, opening up a spot in the top 7.

Also I think you're right, Truman State should have no problem beating Urbana on the road which definitely knocks Urbana out of the conversation.

Kutztown/Slippery Rock really doesn't mean much at this point as they are both locks for the playoff field.

Cal U at West Chester could be interesting. A win for Cal would probably knock West Chester out and then arguably, you could slide Cal U up into the 7 spot, even with three losses. But is West Chester wins, they're a lock. Keep an eye on this game..

IUP maybe has a trip-up type game at Shippensburg. They haven't been good this year but, two weeks ago put up 65 points. I dont care who you play, if you can score 65, you can move the ball at least a little bit. But, even an IUP loss probably doesn't knock them out either.

Worst case for the G-MAC is Findlay beats Tiffin and Urbana pulls an upset. Because then you're probably looking at a three-way tie for your conference title, and none of those teams make the postseason...

Comment

Yeah, the Urbana problem will fix itself. They'll pick up either a fourth loss or a good win.

Comment

Comment

I find it easier to wait until all of the games have been played and the committee has announced their selections. Then, of course, I b!tch about what a terrible job they did. (no smilies available)

Comment

Are we lucky to have Scott Miles breaking this down for us or what?

https://www.d2football.com/super-reg...view-11-14-19/

Good read here on the topic

Comment

Well WV St and Urbana both lost and ODU won, does this open the door for two GMAC teams (Tiffin and ODU) to make the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by oilerftbll View Post
                  Well WV St and Urbana both lost and ODU won, does this open the door for two GMAC teams (Tiffin and ODU) to make the playoffs?
                  Highly unlikely. I don't see a way ODU passes West Chester.

It's going to be 5 PSAC teams plus Notre Dame and Tiffin. Unless, of course, the committee slips New Haven into the #9 spot at the last second, but they've given absolutely zero reason to think they'd do that.

Comment

What does it take to get an auto-bid for a conference?

Comment

Originally posted by oilerftbll View Post
                      What does it take to get an auto-bid for a conference?
                      If the conference's highest-ranked team is in the top 9, that team gets in.

Comment

The conference with the most football schools gets 5 bids out of 7. And yes, the PSAC has good football.

But it is way past time for the G-MAC to expand. You can't tell me this conference can't get Urbana.

Comment

You're preachin' to the choir, JDon.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                            The conference with the most football schools gets 5 bids out of 7. And yes, the PSAC has good football.

But it is way past time for the G-MAC to expand. You can't tell me this conference can't get Urbana.
                            The problem arises because it almost goes without saying that the PSAC gets the STATE GAME participants in because the committee likes league championships. Add to that teams that lost only one game to the participants and you get 2 more likely. Then add a team that lost two games to two top ranked PO teams and you get five. With eight teams in the league even adding 1-3 teams won't easily get the GMAC to that league championship. The only real option that I see would be an arrangement or merger with the 11 team MEC. This would have the effect of pleasing the committee and getting those two and possibly a third in. Add the best in the NE10 and it would possibly fall out 3,3 and 1 or or 4,2 and 1.

Comment

I became even more pessimistic about the GMAC adding schools with the announcement of the GMAC/GLVC Scheduling Alliance. Upon further review that alliance is currently only for the 2021 and 2022 seasons, so hopefully SOMEBODY is working on a plan for 2023 and beyond. When someone first suggested a GMAC/MEC merger it did not seem like a good idea to me in the least. HOWEVER, since the GMAC has shown no signs of expansion since Tiffin (or even a passing interest), it may be time to give that possibility further consideration. I really don't know but, as JDON stated, it's past time for the GMAC to expand. I'll add to that and say...do something, anything to help GMAC schools in football scheduling and post season consideration.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X