X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Why...big picture view that doesn't bode well for private colleges and even remote possibilities would suggest considering all options. The GMAC has done a great job in it's growth but this situation is unique in American collegiate history. For many years the PSAC was exclusively PASSHE schools but when they needed to expand for stability, the first four on board were private schools. There really isn't any relationship other than sports in what seems to be a successful partnership. You are correct it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into.
    Just because a merger between the GMAC and MEC should happen (at least according to some posters upthread), that doesn't mean either side wants it to happen, nor does it mean that it needs to happen.

The GMAC deserves a lot of credit for building a high quality all-sports conference capped off by the addition of Ashland. I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up being enough for NDC to also make the move into the GMAC within the next year or two, since they're essentially an outpost on Lake Erie compared to the rest of the MEC's footprint in West Virginia/Western Maryland now that the MEC's other Ohio school, Urbana, is permanently closed.

Even with all that said, MEC football rode the Shepherd coattails until they left for the PSAC (a move I never thought would've happened, but the dumpster fire that was Cheyney athletics kinda made that move a necessity for both sides). MEC football then latched on to the success in Cleveland with NDC, and now it wouldn't surprise me if that's gone in a few years, if not sooner.

If/when NDC leaves, who does that leave for the MEC in football? Fairmont? Frostburg? UNC Pembroke? Basketball shouldn't be as badly effected, unless West Liberty and Fairmont decide to shock the world and push their way into the PSAC or something equally ridiculous (and, yes, I'm being sarcastic here).

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by CousinRoy View Post
    Who's next Northwood? Indy? Notre Dame?

Who leaves? Ohio Valley? AB? Trevecca?
    Trevecca would seem like the logical candidate to leave the G-MAC, but the only options for the Nashville based school would seem to be either the SAC (too far west from Carson-Newman, Tusculum, etc.) or the GSC (Tennessee based non-football schools in the league including Lee, Union and Christian Brothers, but I have my doubts that the GSC is even interested).

Notre Dame seems like the logical next member of the GMAC expansion, though weren't they one of the charter members of the league before they bolted for the MEC along with Urbana (or am I misremembering)?

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Ferris State hasn't exactly been chopped liver either. But, outside of Grand Valley, Ferris and Ashland, the GLIAC is slowly turning pretty spare. I wonder where that leaves UIndy as far as their status in the GLVC is concerned. Could they be the next to make a move, either to the GMAC or possibly send all sports to the GLIAC? Because with Bellarmine moving (or at least still planning to move) to D1 and the recent closing of St Joseph College in Western Indiana a few years ago, that pretty much leaves Southern Indiana and, to a lesser extent, Lewis as their remaining travel partners in basketball, etc., and really without a scheduling partner for football, if you want to look at it that way (UIndy, IINM, is the only GLVC school in the Eastern Time Zone; the rest of the league is on Central Time in Illinois and Missouri).

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Indianapolis should stay right where they are...
    Hillsdale should move back to the GLIAC...
    NDC should move to the GMAC...
    Hillsdale should stay right where they are.
    NDC should move to the GMAC.
    I no longer care what Indianapolis does.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
    I can't see how NDC won't be joining the GMAC relatively soon. The only question in my mind is, will AB & MEC put differences aside for finances and geographic sense.

UIndy should be taking a good look at GMAC now, KWU should consider the Morehead State route and play down (NAIA Bluegrass) for football, LEC is suspect for long term sustainability.

Final 2019 CPU rankings of my predicted conference out of 167 D2 schools

1) Ashland-30
    2) UIndy-19
    3) Hillsdale-77 (had 2019 weird schedule results, normally in the 30-40 range)
    4) Findlay-42
    5) Tiffin-35
    6) ODU-18
    7) NDC-13
    8) Walsh-126

7 extremely solid programs, and Walsh who plays at the best facility in all of D2...

Should for their own benefit find other schools to play:
    KyWes-150
    LEC-122

Should be in MEC: AB-151
    Indianapolis should stay right where they are...
    Hillsdale should move back to the GLIAC...
    NDC should move to the GMAC...

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Your first sentence is telling. I seem to think you want to assist state school athletic programs that are in leagues that aren't looking that hot right now.
    Most people who attended public universities don't think in public/private terms.

Leave a comment:

• D2Ohio
    replied
    I can't see how NDC won't be joining the GMAC relatively soon. The only question in my mind is, will AB & MEC put differences aside for finances and geographic sense.

UIndy should be taking a good look at GMAC now, KWU should consider the Morehead State route and play down (NAIA Bluegrass) for football, LEC is suspect for long term sustainability.

Final 2019 CPU rankings of my predicted conference out of 167 D2 schools

1) Ashland-30
    2) UIndy-19
    3) Hillsdale-77 (had 2019 weird schedule results, normally in the 30-40 range)
    4) Findlay-42
    5) Tiffin-35
    6) ODU-18
    7) NDC-13
    8) Walsh-126

7 extremely solid programs, and Walsh who plays at the best facility in all of D2...

Should for their own benefit find other schools to play:
    KyWes-150
    LEC-122

Should be in MEC: AB-151

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied
    When the MEC was formed, private charter members of the WVIAC were cast to the side. I am not interested in going down that road again because I know exactly how it will turn out.....the West Liberty Way...which is exactly what you are suggesting. I don't speak for other league members. But I don't think some of the G-MAC schools want to listen to the West Liberty Way. I think a lot are very satisfied with Commissioner Daeger and his way.

I am going to repeat.....no one suggested this four years ago. Every one was a big fan of the MEC and what they were doing. So you should be happy with their course now. Right?

The G-MAC has 13 schools. How many more does it need to survive as a conference? Why is there a need to merge when you have shown in the past four years an ability to expand, expand and expand? I actually believe the G-MAC could add one or two more privates if it wants and when it wants. It actually may before the end of the month of June.

Your first sentence is telling. I seem to think you want to assist state school athletic programs that are in leagues that aren't looking that hot right now. I honestly feel that is your perspective. As I said, I didn't hear this talk 4 years ago. Welp, it is what it is. Isn't that the way the MEC was designed? Hey, we were told that you gotta add UVA-Wise, a public school, to your league. How has that ordeal turned out? UVA-Wise has hopped to their 4th conference in 8 years. But they were this big necessity for the WVIAC. It looks like when the MEC was formed that a lot of the old private WVIAC schools were there to be cast off to the side. But now, according to you, "trust the process of merging with those guys; they will help your league members". I am sorry but maybe you need to clarify your point of view better. I am not trying to be insulting when I say that.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Why would the G-MAC right now want to merge with any conference? I don't get this! This conference, especially the commissioner, has taken a conference on life-support to now a conference with a clear vision and a promising future.

The G-MAC was left for dead no more than 5 years ago. Nobody reached out to the G-MAC then. Certainly not the MEC. And when the G-MAC originally tried to expand with two southern NAIA schools, two members of the NCAA expansion committee from some of these same conferences voted NO. Oh well. Maybe the G-MAC would not have expanded with former GLIAC members had the KY/TN NAIA expansion had gone along as planned.

The G-MAC has gone from 2 football schools to 9 football schools in less than 5 years. The other two conferences, quite frankly, are losing members to other conference or picking up members that don't have football.

The G-MAC is a conference comprised of ALL private schools with similar values. The MEC is run by a holdover form the old West Liberty administration.....an administration that spent their entire lives in the public sector. Do you really see any similarities between the G-MAC and MEC? I am not interested in schools like Fairmont State and West Liberty wanting to call the shots because many of us know with experience how things will turn out with any such merger.

A merger AIN'T happening!
    Why...big picture view that doesn't bode well for private colleges and even remote possibilities would suggest considering all options. The GMAC has done a great job in it's growth but this situation is unique in American collegiate history. For many years the PSAC was exclusively PASSHE schools but when they needed to expand for stability, the first four on board were private schools. There really isn't any relationship other than sports in what seems to be a successful partnership. You are correct it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied
    Why would the G-MAC right now want to merge with any conference? I don't get this! This conference, especially the commissioner, has taken a conference on life-support to now a conference with a clear vision and a promising future.

The G-MAC was left for dead no more than 5 years ago. Nobody reached out to the G-MAC then. Certainly not the MEC. And when the G-MAC originally tried to expand with two southern NAIA schools, two members of the NCAA expansion committee from some of these same conferences voted NO. Oh well. Maybe the G-MAC would not have expanded with former GLIAC members had the KY/TN NAIA expansion had gone along as planned.

The G-MAC has gone from 2 football schools to 9 football schools in less than 5 years. The other two conferences, quite frankly, are losing members to other conference or picking up members that don't have football.

The G-MAC is a conference comprised of ALL private schools with similar values. The MEC is run by a holdover form the old West Liberty administration.....an administration that spent their entire lives in the public sector. Do you really see any similarities between the G-MAC and MEC? I am not interested in schools like Fairmont State and West Liberty wanting to call the shots because many of us know with experience how things will turn out with any such merger.

A merger AIN'T happening!

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I'm not sure why Northwood would ever leave the GLIAC. They're directly in the middle of the entire GLIAC footprint. A change to any other conference would blow up their travel budget. Their closest opponent would be Hillsdale at 3 hours and then Findlay at 4.5 hours and NDC at 5 hours. Right now they can reach every GLIAC school besides Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Wisconsin-Parkside within 4 hours.
    This conference is really screwed by their geography very much like the NE10. Other than FCS schools moving down or D3 schools moving up there truly are no apparent options. Like the MEC they could merge with GMAC in a Northern/Southern two division league which would mitigate the threat of schools closing/dropping FB, but like the MEC I don't see them taking this radical, but logical, step.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by CousinRoy View Post

I'm not sure why Northwood would ever leave the GLIAC. They're directly in the middle of the entire GLIAC footprint. A change to any other conference would blow up their travel budget. Their closest opponent would be Hillsdale at 3 hours and then Findlay at 4.5 hours and NDC at 5 hours. Right now they can reach every GLIAC school besides Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Wisconsin-Parkside within 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• CousinRoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GetOily
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim McElwain View Post
    RIP GLIAC

Leave a comment:

Ad3