Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malone Drops Football -Immediately

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Agree, football is always the target then they make up the math to justify the decision. I'm a little surprised that Lake Erie hasn't done the same thing.
    I remember when LEC started football. It was a way of getting males to enrole at what was at that time was a small largely female college. Dropping football would be a 180 degree shift.

Comment

Small colleges have been adding football to increase enrollment (and paid tuition) for years now. It seems to be accepted math at this point. St. Leo just announce 2 weeks ago that they are exploring adding football "to help boost enrollment". That's what makes Malone's move a little curious. I'm having a hard time believing that they are actually going to save $1M. I'm wondering if the teams chronic lack of success is the bigger issue.

Comment

Mansfield dropped football after a winless season in 2006. Immediate hit to make enrollment. They've been playing sprint football since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
          Mansfield dropped football after a winless season in 2006. Immediate hit to make enrollment. They've been playing sprint football since 2008.
          Curiosity ... do they handle Sprint 'game day' like an actual football game (sell tickets, concessions, etc.?) or is it more like glorified intramural ball?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Curiosity ... do they handle Sprint 'game day' like an actual football game (sell tickets, concessions, etc.?) or is it more like glorified intramural ball?
            The only difference is the maximum weight of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
              Sad day.

Also, this clearly bucks the trend where small schools are adding/maintaining football as an enrollment and tuition driver. In the press release, Malone states that dropping football will eliminate expenses of approximately $1 million annually. They don't say how much tuition/income they will lose. Per Dept of Education, Malone has 116 football players, which is approximately 10% of the school's 1135 full-time undergraduates.
              If the football team is accounting for 10 percent of your enrollment, you're in deep dookie.

Comment

I hadn't paid any attention to any of this and then saw a big hole in Hillsdale's schedule today.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
                  I hadn't paid any attention to any of this and then saw a big hole in Hillsdale's schedule today.
                  SURPRISE!!!

Comment

This will be a very interesting move for the school. Blueblood's point about the tuition is a very valid point as is Herb Street's about the percentage. Yes the school will save roughly 1 million annually but cutting football. The problem is the school itself could be in positions to lose about $1,006,444 in tuition from players who are no longer attending the university and paying their own way, and that assumes Malone was offering the full 36 scholarship limit.

I have been working on my Master's in sports management and this type decision has been a focus of one of my classes. The hidden costs to a school of cutting sports. Some schools have actually been adding lower cost sports in an effort to bring in students to a school. These sports are lower cost sports or sports in which the facilities already exist. For example, in the GLIAC, SVSU added men's and women's swimming and diving, NMU reinstated a men's team (to go along with the women's team), and Davenport has added a women's swim and dive team. SVSU's decision to add swimming and diving brought in an additional 50 students to the university that already had a 50 meter pool capable of hosting meets including championship meets. The scholarship limit for swimming and diving combined is 16.2, meaning 33.8 student athletes are paying their own way to attend SVSU. This amounts to roughly $303,000 in revenue to the school. I highly doubt the cost to the school is significantly higher than this if it is even higher. I could see the university actually making money as a whole (not the athletic department itself) based on having added these teams. That $303,000 in revenue is just tuition and does not include the other fees the university gets from housing and other sources related to those students attendance. NMU adding a men's team means an additional $210,000 in revenue from non-scholarship tuition. It likely did not increase expenses significantly as the school already had a women's team and thus the facilities.

Comment

Which private in mec gmac psac drops football or other sports in the next two years?

The cost of football requires plenty of kids living on campus paying full price...

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post
                        Which private in mec gmac psac drops football or other sports in the next two years?

The cost of football requires plenty of kids living on campus paying full price...
                        Lake Erie would be the obvious guess, but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post

I think the ultimate question is can the school afford to lose 64 to 100 students who are paying tuition and R&B? In Malone's case, that is a 7.5% drop in enrolment by this one act. And that decline is locked in every year. In schools with smaller total enrolment, that loss % is even greater.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            I think the ultimate question is can the school afford to lose 64 to 100 students who are paying tuition and R&B? In Malone's case, that is a 7.5% drop in enrolment by this one act. And that decline is locked in every year. In schools with smaller total enrolment, that loss % is even greater.
                            Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              Exactly.
                              You know what I've never been able to find? Well...According to my wife, my keys! But for the sake of this thread, an honest independent cost/benefit analysis of what a football program really costs. Seems like the "studies" that schools commission tend to sque to what the college administration wants to hear...If the President wants football, the cost is very low and if the President doesn't really want football, the cost is through the roof. I know there is a lot of variability but there should be a median cost projection for starting a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                You know what I've never been able to find? Well...According to my wife, my keys! But for the sake of this thread, an honest independent cost/benefit analysis of what a football program really costs. Seems like the "studies" that schools commission tend to sque to what the college administration wants to hear...If the President wants football, the cost is very low and if the President doesn't really want football, the cost is through the roof. I know there is a lot of variability but there should be a median cost projection for starting a football team.
                                It'd be easier to find your keys.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X