Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

"Ohio-Centric" is different than an Ohio conference. If you include UIndy, the GMAC would have 1/3 of it's members outside of Ohio as well as it's conference HQ. The "rumors" of NDC moving to the GMAC seem to be almost exclusively generated on this message board. Over the course of the last nine years, there have been several posters here saying that they have it on "good authority" that NDC would be moving to the GMAC any day now or that the GMAC had a "standing offer" to NDC for membership any time they wanted to join. Inspite of these message board rumors from folks claiming to be in contact with people in the know from the school and form the conference, it just never seems to happen.
    I think the NDC to GMAC rumor will pretty much always be there until they make the move. Yes, everyone and their mother claims to have a source, but I do not think that discredits the idea. I simply think that with the addition of Ashland, the move to the GMAC makes to most sense for NDC purely from an aspect of lowering travel costs across all sports. If the GMAC were to lose KWC, TNU, or add Uindy, the NDC continues to make more sense. Additionally, I think the conference office being in Indianapolis has more to do with the NCAA being housed in Indy and the GMAC commish being an Indianapolis native than anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I think the NDC to GMAC rumor will pretty much always be there until they make the move. Yes, everyone and their mother claims to have a source, but I do not think that discredits the idea. I simply think that with the addition of Ashland, the move to the GMAC makes to most sense for NDC purely from an aspect of lowering travel costs across all sports. If the GMAC were to lose KWC, TNU, or add Uindy, the NDC continues to make more sense. Additionally, I think the conference office being in Indianapolis has more to do with the NCAA being housed in Indy and the GMAC commish being an Indianapolis native than anything else.
      One of the major things that posters of the "NDC is going to move to the GMAC any day now" narrative had to do with some supposed desire by NDC to play against their "traditional" rivals from the NAIA days. Supposedly NDC had this great set of rivals that they had built "years" of tradition with. I kind of debunked this a couple of times showing that the supposed NAIA rivals were not as long or as deep as folks said it was. But if people still believe that, I would point out that as the years have rolled by, NDC has developed a larger pool of "rivals" in the MEC than they ever had in the NAIA. Only argument that could be made now is a "driving distance" one. And again, that is not as great as some would have us believe. But if you believe that it is, I would point out that this has been the case for nine years now and it hasn't been enough for NDC to say, we need to move.

You never know what the future holds but absent somthing that makes an NDC move to the GMAC a slam dunk, it doesn't appear that they have any real desire to move. This has been the case for nine years and counting and it seems to be the case for the forseable future.

Different matter, same conference. Imagine being a school that is part of the GMAC and almost every post about conference changes/expansion includes cutting YOUR team from the conference in favor of another school!! WOW...That's got to be insulting!!!

Comment

One of the major things that posters of the "NDC is going to move to the GMAC any day now" narrative had to do with some supposed desire by NDC to play against their "traditional" rivals from the NAIA days. Supposedly NDC had this great set of rivals that they had built "years" of tradition with. I kind of debunked this a couple of times showing that the supposed NAIA rivals were not as long or as deep as folks said it was. But if people still believe that, I would point out that as the years have rolled by, NDC has developed a larger pool of "rivals" in the MEC than they ever had in the NAIA. Only argument that could be made now is a "driving distance" one. And again, that is not as great as some would have us believe. But if you believe that it is, I would point out that this has been the case for nine years now and it hasn't been enough for NDC to say, we need to move.

You never know what the future holds but absent somthing that makes an NDC move to the GMAC a slam dunk, it doesn't appear that they have any real desire to move. This has been the case for nine years and counting and it seems to be the case for the forseable future.

Different matter, same conference. Imagine being a school that is part of the GMAC and almost every post about conference changes/expansion includes cutting YOUR team from the conference in favor of another school!! WOW...That's got to be insulting!!!
        I will concede that NDC has had this issue in front of them for years, and still decided to not go. However, this was the argument that people used to keep Ashland in the GLIAC and then eventually made the move. I am not claiming NDC will leave tomorrow, but eventually the monetary savings usually supersede the bad blood/politics/etc. that has kept NDC out of the conference given enough time. Additionally, the more "Ohio-centric" the conference gets, the more substantial those monetary savings become. The template for DII conferences should be the GLIAC and the MIAA. A tight geographic set of core schools usually centered around one state or region. I see the future of the GMAC as Ohio and Indiana focused, and the future of the MEC as basically the old WVIAC..

And on the final comment, I would want my school to get in a conference that makes the most sense for the longevity of my school so that it does not run out of money over time and end up like Urbana and Saint Joseph's. That is why I am in favor of Uindy to the GMAC. It makes sense for my school to cut unneeded costs and for the GLVC to become more Missouri/Illinois focused.

Comment

• They have the opportunity to leave every year...and they never do. That includes NDC, UIndy and the GMAC schools that the GMAC apparently doesn't want.

Comment

• "...and the GMAC schools that the GMAC apparently doesn't want." ??? If that was true the GMAC could just form a new league and leave some schools out. I can't imagine them doing something so lowdown and dirty.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
              If that was true the GMAC could just form a new league and leave some schools out. I can't imagine them doing something so lowdown and dirty.

Comment

They have the opportunity to leave every year...and they never do. That includes NDC, UIndy and the GMAC schools that the GMAC apparently doesn't want.
                I never claimed that the GMAC was going to kick anyone out. I just think the best option for Uindy and NDC is to join the GMAC, and for TNU and KWC is leave it.

Comment

• True, TNU has always been an oddity. No schools near it really, no true fit conference geography wise. I wonder if it would make more sense for them to go independent and schedule whoever they need to from the various conferences they do not quite fit into.

Comment

I never claimed that the GMAC was going to kick anyone out. I just think the best option for Uindy and NDC is to join the GMAC, and for TNU and KWC is leave it.
                    Not hard to find posts concerning the posters desire to have NDC's join the GMAC. The senario often painted centers on travel distance and includes NDC joining and TNC and KW going "elsewhere." Basically telling TNC and KW, thank you for being there when we needed you, but we don't need you anymore.

Comment

I will concede that NDC has had this issue in front of them for years, and still decided to not go. However, this was the argument that people used to keep Ashland in the GLIAC and then eventually made the move. I am not claiming NDC will leave tomorrow, but eventually the monetary savings usually supersede the bad blood/politics/etc. that has kept NDC out of the conference given enough time. Additionally, the more "Ohio-centric" the conference gets, the more substantial those monetary savings become. The template for DII conferences should be the GLIAC and the MIAA. A tight geographic set of core schools usually centered around one state or region. I see the future of the GMAC as Ohio and Indiana focused, and the future of the MEC as basically the old WVIAC..

And on the final comment, I would want my school to get in a conference that makes the most sense for the longevity of my school so that it does not run out of money over time and end up like Urbana and Saint Joseph's. That is why I am in favor of Uindy to the GMAC. It makes sense for my school to cut unneeded costs and for the GLVC to become more Missouri/Illinois focused.
                      THe difference between NDC and Ashland is that Ashland made numerous official statements over the years that showed they were actively looking and considering a conf move. Beyond this message board and the supposed "sources" they say they have, i don't recall seeing ANY official or even quasi official statement from NDC saying they were looking OR unhappy in any way with their membership in the MEC. Perhaps after 9 years, we should their lask of statement OR movement as a statement that they are happy being in the MEC and have no intention on leaving?

I wonder why the GMAC faithful that are all about forming it as an "Ohio Confrence" aren't actively lobbying for Central State to join?? Seems like if travel distance is the end all and be all that drives conferences, the GMAC can make a MUCH bigger case for Central joining the GMAC than NDC.
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 12-12-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I wonder why the GMAC faithful that are all about forming it as an "Ohio Confrence" aren't actively lobbying for Central State to join?? Seems like if travel distance is the end all and be all that drives conferences, the GMAC can make a MUCH bigger case for Central joining the GMAC than NDC.
                        Central State is an HBCU and was ecstatic to get an SIAC invite. They still seem very happy.

Comment

THe difference between NDC and Ashland is that Ashland made numerous official statements over the years that showed they were actively looking and considering a conf move. Beyond this message board and the supposed "sources" they say they have, i don't recall seeing ANY official or even quasi official statement from NDC saying they were looking OR unhappy in any way with their membership in the MEC. Perhaps after 9 years, we should their lask of statement OR movement as a statement that they are happy being in the MEC and have no intention on leaving?

The problem with Central State is they burned all their bridges in the conference as they left it. Numerous NCAA violations and the subsequent years spent in a weird NAIA/D2 then the SIAC move have made them an island amongst the Ohio schools it seems. Most of the GMAC seem to avoid scheduling them too.

Comment

Not hard to find posts concerning the posters desire to have NDC's join the GMAC. The senario often painted centers on travel distance and includes NDC joining and TNC and KW going "elsewhere." Basically telling TNC and KW, thank you for being there when we needed you, but we don't need you anymore.
                            Well It seems like the more likely that KWC or TNU will see a move to add NDC/Uindy as the writing on the wall that the conference seems unlikely to expand with members near them, so they do their due diligence and find a conference with a better fit. Assumedly, that means KWC in the GLVC again, and maybe TNU to GSC/Peach Belt? Not sure where to put TNU to be honest.

Comment

I wonder if it would make more sense for them to go independent and schedule whoever they need to from the various conferences they do not quite fit into.
                              This makes no sense at all. Why would they do that?

Comment

Neither would willingly leave the conference unless they had better options available to them. At this point, it does not look like that is happening. What would really be better options for them?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X