Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Again, not claiming that any conference will tell anyone to leave by force. I think everyone here is talking about TNU and KWC leaving the GMAC on their own accord, and NDC/Uindy joining on their own terms as well. I do not think anyone is claiming the GMAC will kick them out like St. Thomas got kicked out in D3.
    If the GMAC doesn't kick them out, it's likely they'll never leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

If the GMAC doesn't kick them out, it's likely they'll never leave.
      There is no need for the G-MAC to kick either out - these are both charter members! I don't see what the issue is. The OH schools hit both TNU and KWC in one road trip. The burden is TNU's and KWC's - they are the ones racking up the miles. TNU and KWC helped build the conference!

Comment

• And for folks who don't know - TNU is the school that stepped in and kept the conference viable when NDC bailed on the G-MAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I have had that impression a lot during this discussion.

"Thanks for helping us when we were struggling to start a conference, but now that Ashland has left the GLIAC, do pound sand."
          I do not know why people are taking this as we are crapping on TNU and KWC. KWC simply fits in the GLVC better than in the GMAC. TNU is a tougher question, but I think they should at least consider moving on, especially if KWC goes. Conferences and schools change over time. It is not an disrespect to anyone to say that they could fit better somewhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

There is no need for the G-MAC to kick either out - these are both charter members! I don't see what the issue is. The OH schools hit both TNU and KWC in one road trip. The burden is TNU's and KWC's - they are the ones racking up the miles. TNU and KWC helped build the conference!
            Agreed, I am not saying they should be booted. Simply that if I was AD at either one, I would want too explore my other options sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

Agreed, I am not saying they should be booted. Simply that if I was AD at either one, I would want too explore my other options sooner rather than later.
              I know. Another poster said that if the G-MAC doesn't kick them out they'll never leave (like they are a problem). They are not a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

Seconded, this is not an indictment of KWC and TNU. They are fine members and will be happy to have them as long as they stay. I am just saying if I was them, KWC to the GLVC and TNU to maybe the Peach Belt or something makes more sense.

Comment

I know. Another poster said that if the G-MAC doesn't kick them out they'll never leave (like they are a problem). They are not a problem.
                  The discussion about "inviting" KW and TNU to move to a conference that better meets their needs is often part of the seemingly monthly recruing discussion about NDC joining the GMAC. As I've stated, the primary argument people make in favor of this move now is a travel distance one. But when you factor travel to KW and TNU into the average travel distance equation, the GMAC travel distance advantage for NDC largely evaporates.

There clearly is something stopping NDC from jumping conferences that travel distance, shared history, Ohio Centric, etc can't overcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

The discussion about "inviting" KW and TNU to move to a conference that better meets their needs is often part of the seemingly monthly recruing discussion about NDC joining the GMAC. As I've stated, the primary argument people make in favor of this move now is a travel distance one. But when you factor travel to KW and TNU into the average travel distance equation, the GMAC travel distance advantage for NDC largely evaporates.

There clearly is something stopping NDC from jumping conferences that travel distance, shared history, Ohio Centric, etc can't overcome.
                    Yes, it seems well established that there is some sort of bad blood between the GMAC and NDC connected to why NDC left the conference at the beginning. My bet is that given the tighter budgets due to COVID and the nearly 10 years worth of time from the original problem (whatever it was) will push NDC past whatever feelings got hurt and go with the more cost effective option.

Comment

Yes, it seems well established that there is some sort of bad blood between the GMAC and NDC connected to why NDC left the conference at the beginning. My bet is that given the tighter budgets due to COVID and the nearly 10 years worth of time from the original problem (whatever it was) will push NDC past whatever feelings got hurt and go with the more cost effective option.
                      Same thing happened with AB going to the MEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

And D&E going to the MEC, ultimately money generally wins out over bad blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Exactly. I'm sure at some point all can be forgiven.

Obviously, NDC left the G-MAC while it was still in its infancy. They also left their GLIAC affiliate memberships behind (football, soccer, some other sports) only one year after really pushing for membership. So, between the old time G-MAC schools and the former GLIAC/now G-MAC schools, I'm sure its possible that there is still some bad blood. As BoatCapt has pointed out, NDC doesn't appear on G-MAC out of conference schedules as much as you would think a down-the-road school should.

That said, presidents change and ADs change and time moves on. Before you know it, no one remembers why you were so mad.

Comment

Well...The two "principles" that were in place when NDC left the GMAC are still in place...Scott Swain, AD at NDC and Tom Daeger, Comish of the GMAC. Clearly there was some friction between them and quite possibly still is. I would say that any move will not happen until one or both leave. Similar to AB not joining the MEC till the Crehans left.

I've compared driving distance (costs) and as currently configured, the advantage to the GMAC is not that great (If memory serves me, on the order of 40 miles average driving distance difference). And if you add UIndy to the equation, the driving distance advantage for the GMAC shrinks by almost 20 miles. The small distance difference and de minimis saving clearly is not enough to convince NDC that the "juice is worth the squeeze."

Comment

Seconded, this is not an indictment of KWC and TNU. They are fine members and will be happy to have them as long as they stay. I am just saying if I was them, KWC to the GLVC and TNU to maybe the Peach Belt or something makes more sense.
                              The SAC would make the most sense for them, but the other conference has to have a want and a need for them to make it happen.

Comment

Exactly. I'm sure at some point all can be forgiven.

Obviously, NDC left the G-MAC while it was still in its infancy. They also left their GLIAC affiliate memberships behind (football, soccer, some other sports) only one year after really pushing for membership. So, between the old time G-MAC schools and the former GLIAC/now G-MAC schools, I'm sure its possible that there is still some bad blood. As BoatCapt has pointed out, NDC doesn't appear on G-MAC out of conference schedules as much as you would think a down-the-road school should.

That said, presidents change and ADs change and time moves on. Before you know it, no one remembers why you were so mad.
                                Exactly...You would think that a school that really really wanted to join a conference would take every opportunity to schedule them in OOC games. But that clearly doesn't happen. Couple that with the public statements that have come from NDC about how happy they are in the MEC and the insignifigant travel distance savings of jumping to the GMAC and it's pretty clear that there is not a compelling reason or desire to move.

After 9 years and counting, pretty obvious that the "NDC to the GMAC" is more a desire of some than it is a real thing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X