Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

I would imagine that there are a couple teams in the G-MAC that are hurting financially although I don't know that for sure. What I have heard is that there are several D3 schools in the area that are really hurting.

Comment

I don't really know that D3 saves much money. On the Dept. of Education website, the OAC schools' athletic expenses seem pretty similar to the G-MAC schools' expenses - except for the missing scholarship $. We all know that D3s "discount" on the other side of the ledger, so I'm not really sure that there is much net difference if a D2 isn't giving out maximum scholarships in all sports.

I'm sure that some/most G-MAC schools are hurting. Small private schools all over the country are hurting. The G-MAC is certainly not alone, nor is D2. D3s and NAIAs are having issues too. The landscape is changing. Having a lot of sports teams can probably get a school up to 400-500 kids. After that, you have to have things that attracts the "common" student. You have to have a "something" and there aren't many parameters to what that something is. Cedarville's "thing" is sticking to its guns - and remaining an unapologetically faith-based institution (its not just "historically Baptist"). From what I can tell, that is Trevecca's thing too. Hillsdale is a bastion of political conservativism (which is why I can never get their enrollment and athletic budget numbers from the Dept of Education - because they don't send them to the government). I'm closely following the potential Bellarmine D1 move. I think that their admin is of the mindset that this will be their "thing". They want to become a better-known entity and going D1 will (hopefully) get their name out there and will (hopefully) lead to more "common" students wanting to attend a "more recognizable" university. Its a bold move - but I can understand and appreciate the reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
        Seton Hill wants a conference to fit all their needs athletically. GMAC would be the best fit for them and have already expressed interest to the conference to become full members.
        That is interesting. If the GMAC can somehow swing Seton Hill, Gannon and Mercyhurst, I bet both Ashland and NDC are in.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
          I don't really know that D3 saves much money. On the Dept. of Education website, the OAC schools' athletic expenses seem pretty similar to the G-MAC schools' expenses - except for the missing scholarship $. We all know that D3s "discount" on the other side of the ledger, so I'm not really sure that there is much net difference if a D2 isn't giving out maximum scholarships in all sports.

I'm sure that some/most G-MAC schools are hurting. Small private schools all over the country are hurting. The G-MAC is certainly not alone, nor is D2. D3s and NAIAs are having issues too. The landscape is changing. Having a lot of sports teams can probably get a school up to 400-500 kids. After that, you have to have things that attracts the "common" student. You have to have a "something" and there aren't many parameters to what that something is. Cedarville's "thing" is sticking to its guns - and remaining an unapologetically faith-based institution (its not just "historically Baptist"). From what I can tell, that is Trevecca's thing too. Hillsdale is a bastion of political conservativism (which is why I can never get their enrollment and athletic budget numbers from the Dept of Education - because they don't send them to the government). I'm closely following the potential Bellarmine D1 move. I think that their admin is of the mindset that this will be their "thing". They want to become a better-known entity and going D1 will (hopefully) get their name out there and will (hopefully) lead to more "common" students wanting to attend a "more recognizable" university. Its a bold move - but I can understand and appreciate the reasoning.
          My ability to "understand and appreciate the reasoning" gets clouded by the laundry list of schools for whom this has NOT worked out. Sure seems like an expensive route to take with the primary, intended gain being more notoriety in the hopes of driving some additional enrollment. Seems even riskier given their proximity (about three miles or so as the crow flies) to a Power 5 school that already owns the mindshare of that media market.

Would never say it won't work, and I firmly believe in the risk/reward principles. BUT, I would openly question whether this is an instance where discretion wouldn't be the better part of valor. That's my view from the cheaps...maybe there is more involved than I would know about...

Comment

What I am hearing from those involved in GMAC meeting:

Seton Hill/UIndy most likely to join GMAC

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

NDC/Urbana possible (50/50)

No talks AT ALL concerning Ashland

Comment

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

Does the '1 other PSAC school' include Seton Hill? Or are you hearing UPJ? Those are the only privates in the PSAC. No chance one of the other PSAC West schools leave.

Comment

Seton Hill is a dumpster fire athletic program. They can leave. The others not so much.

That said, the travel alone would be financial suicide being the PSAC offers relatively short trips -- especially in West play.

It would be shocking if either Erie school even considered a move. UPJ ... no chance.

Comment

I have long shared my skepticism of this. I never say never, and I understand the reasons 'why'. I also understand the reasons 'why not'...and in mind that list isn't short. I notice you typed "most likely to join", but didn't write something to the effect of it being pending/imminent.

Interesting to watch, no doubt. Has been for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
                    Does the '1 other PSAC school' include Seton Hill? Or are you hearing UPJ? Those are the only privates in the PSAC. No chance one of the other PSAC West schools leave.

Comment

My understanding was that for Hurst or Gannon to make the jump, the other would have to commit as well
                      Gotcha. So, hypothetically, they're a package deal? One isn't leaving without the other.

Comment

I've said for years that NDC will eventually be a GMAC school. I just have no idea when.

Comment

I would think NDC will likely be losing one of the schools closest to ND in the MEC because I don't think Wheeling Jesuit is going to survive after this upcoming school year. It looks real bad at Wheeling.

NDC will probably continue to have good success in the MEC, but travel distance has seemed to drive a lot of conference shake ups lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                            I've said for years that NDC will eventually be a GMAC school. I just have no idea when.
                            The odd conference out in this discussion seems to be the MEC. With the PSAC and potentially the GMAC poaching one or more schools, added to the possible loss of financially distressed institutions like WJU, it seems that this league will be scrambling in the next 5 years to put together a 9 game league schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                              The odd conference out in this discussion seems to be the MEC. With the PSAC and potentially the GMAC poaching one or more schools, added to the possible loss of financially distressed institutions like WJU, it seems that this league will be scrambling in the next 5 years to put together a 9 game league schedule.
                              Do you mean that they will have to *gasp* play OOC games?

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                                Do you mean that they will have to *gasp* play OOC games?
                                Likely 2 or 3 which isn't always possible.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X