Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I don't think the MEC actually wanted D&E ... but Shepherd joining the PSAC caused some chips to fall.
    D&E is a complete head scratcher from the MEC standpoint. Outside of having a couple of sports (wrestling and swimming) that help a little, it makes zero sense from the MEC standpoint. They were a bottom feeder back in the WVIAC (and one of the reasons for the conferences ultimate demise), they were a bottom feeder in the GMAC and there is about a 99.99% chance they will be an across the board bottom feeder in the MEC. Now for THEM, it is a good thing...less travel and a bigger share of conference NCAA money than what they were getting.

Comment

Shepherd joining the PSAC caused some chips to fall.
      Yep. And that's' pretty much why I don't think that musical chairs is over. Chips will continue to fall, and chips falling may (or may not) cause schools and conferences to make changes. And if changes are made, more chips fall.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
        Yep. And that's' pretty much why I don't think that musical chairs is over. Chips will continue to fall, and chips falling may (or may not) cause schools and conferences to make changes. And if changes are made, more chips fall.
        But "chips falling" have nothing to do with the yearly reporting of eminent moves for the same cast of characters. Kind of like me predicting when I was 8 years old that I was going to be a successful business tycoon and make a million dollars, living my life largely unemployed and on public assistance then winning the lottery when I am 60 and saying "SEE! I TOLD you I was going to make a million dollars in business!!" Kind of like Jean Dixon who predicted THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of things, got one or two right and proclaimed herself a psychic and modern day Nostradamus! It's actually called the "Jean Dixon Effect"...Accepting the few true predictions a person makes while deliberately ignoring mountain of false predictions.
        Last edited by boatcapt; 06-05-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          But that still begs the question, if they are such a good geographic fit, why haven't they moved already? I mean if it is such a logical thing and such a big financial savings, I'd think they would have jumped at the chance to save money in these financially challenged times that most small schools find themselves in. Particularly in the case of NDC and Urbana that are supposed to "standing offers" from the GMAC, why haven't the jumped at the chance? Clearly there is something that is holding them up and making the GMAC not as good a fit as people on this board seem to think it is.

In the case of NDC, I proffer the following:

NDC is in a good place athletically in the MEC. They are coming off a football season were they won the SR1 and conference titles and in the process nocked the previous, and now departed, "top conference dog." With Shepherd gone, they probably believe they have the inside track to conference supremacy, the NCAA playoffs and if conference history holds, multiple SR1 titles. From a basketball standpoint, NDC see's its star on the ascendency in the MEC. Again, NCAA playoffs are a distinct possibility. Wrestling will be a full MEC sport starting this fall and along with NDC, the MEC will have a number of pretty good ranked DII teams in WU, WLU and UNCP. Swimming, while not a fully independent MEC sport (yet) will have seven teams competing with D&E, Frostburg and UNCP coming aboard to compliment NDC, Fairmont, Urbana and WVW.
          My gut still tells me that the Falcons will eventually be a GMAC school. Just because they haven't acted yet doesn't mean that they eventually won't. However, I don't really care as much as I used too. NDC will be fine in either conference.

I'm not aware that there is a "standing offer" from the GMAC. I had heard that there had been one years ago, but that before they loaded up on GLIAC schools. A lot has changed since then.

I agree that NDC is in a good place athletically in the MEC. I really hear no gripes from anyone other than that the constant travel into WV can get a bit tiring and repetitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
            My gut still tells me that the Falcons will eventually be a GMAC school. Just because they haven't acted yet doesn't mean that they eventually won't. However, I don't really care as much as I used too. NDC will be fine in either conference.

I'm not aware that there is a "standing offer" from the GMAC. I had heard that there had been one years ago, but that before they loaded up on GLIAC schools. A lot has changed since then.

I agree that NDC is in a good place athletically in the MEC. I really hear no gripes from anyone other than that the constant travel into WV can get a bit tiring and repetitive.
            Is it your gut or your heart??!! The standing offer from the GMAC was reported by someone on this board based on information they had gotten from unidentified sources. Could have been a total fabrication I suppose but I do recall it being mentioned a number of times over the years.

I think as time goes by the chances of NDC and Urbana moving becomes more and more remote. Say what you will about the distance or secondary teams that make the playoffs not living up to expectations, but you can't argue with the success the conference has had since its birth. MEC is only six years old and already member schools have already won 5 National Championships, claimed 19 Atlantic/SR1 crowns, had over 100 NCAA playoff berths with all member schools having at least one team make the playoffs. And that doesn't even count the individual NCAA accolades MEC athletes have won in individual sports. Pretty good showing for a conference that sprang in part from the WVIAC who's crowning accolade was having one member team participate in one NC game in its 20 years of existence.

I'm not going to do it, but it would be interesting to compare the MEC's success in it's first 6 years against the first 6 year success of the so called "powerhouse" DII conferences.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 06-06-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

But "chips falling" have nothing to do with the yearly reporting of eminent moves for the same cast of characters.
              Agreed. Chips will continue to fall and schools and conferences will react as they see fit. They will not consult this board for wisdom. BTW - I just re-read both your's and Insidesource's recent rumored-move reports. I don't think either of you portrayed any of the moves as imminent. It just sounds like a lot of "maybe somedays" to me.
              Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM. Reason: imminent/eminent

Comment

Agreed. Chips will continue to fall and schools and conferences will react as they see fit. They will not consult this board for wisdom. BTW - I just re-read both your's and Insidesource's recent rumored move reports. I don't think either of you portrayed any of the moves as eminent. It just sounds like a lot of "maybe somedays" to me.
                Yearly topic this time of season. It kills time in the off-season.

Comment

Yearly topic this time of season. It kills time in the off-season.
                  For sure. I always enjoy folks sharing what they've heard and good old fashion speculation.

Comment

Is it your gut or your heart??!!
                    Both....and my brain.

Comment

What's really sad is that someone with less than 10 posts says that he heard something from some people involved in some GMAC meeting and people jump all over it like something is going to happen. The only thing more pathetic is the fact that I look forward to reading every post. :smile-big:

Comment

Last edited by WVIAC-F-EVER; 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Agreed. Chips will continue to fall and schools and conferences will react as they see fit. They will not consult this board for wisdom. BTW - I just re-read both your's and Insidesource's recent rumored-move reports. I don't think either of you portrayed any of the moves as imminent. It just sounds like a lot of "maybe somedays" to me.
                          Nothing was imminent - just relaying info from my source that comes directly from within the meetings. GMAC wants to expand but is not just letting anyone walk in. The institutions mentioned were indeed discussed about as potential members in the future. However, there is no expected or anticipated movement at this time....

And oh, I 110% assure you my source is credible.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                            What's really sad is that someone with less than 10 posts says that he heard something from some people involved in some GMAC meeting and people jump all over it like something is going to happen. The only thing more pathetic is the fact that I look forward to reading every post. :smile-big:
                            I assure you my source sits in the GMAC meeting every May and hears every discussion that goes on behind close doors. My lack of posts are due to me trying to protect their identity.

My username is not InsideSource for nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
                              I assure you my source sits in the GMAC meeting every May and hears every discussion that goes on behind close doors. My lack of posts are due to me trying to protect their identity.

My username is not InsideSource for nothing...
                              Rest assured, I have no desire to know the identity of your source. As JDonAB92 has stated on this thread and I have stated on a few other threads, this Conference needs to add football schools sooner not later. They can discuss and discuss but if no one wants to join the G-MAC you can't make them, which is probably the case. 7 conference football games is getting old fast and there are a few current schools who could jump to another league with more football schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
                                Nothing was imminent - just relaying info from my source that comes directly from within the meetings. GMAC wants to expand but is not just letting anyone walk in. The institutions mentioned were indeed discussed about as potential members in the future. However, there is no expected or anticipated movement at this time...
                                If true, this attitude from schools is ridiculous and shows any lack of urgency of the current situation.

I would venture to say that if this continues that the football schools will break away from the non-football playing members. Ohio Valley doesn't feel the lack of football schools in this conference like Alderson Broaddus does. Trevecca Nazarene does not feel the same as say Ohio Dominican does. Ursuline probably could care less about the football situation as say Findlay does.

My own opinion is that Ashland has been given enough time to make a decision. I am a little tired of this "we aren't ready now, but will look at it again a few years from now". One way or the other, it is time to move on. I am not interested in giving one school carte blanche in this situation. If they enter as a member, that attitude is likely to continue and I, for one, am not in favor of it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X