Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Over the past month I had a chance to attend five D2 spring games/practices; two in the GLIAC and three from G-MAC. Spoke to head and assistant coaches on a variety of subjects, below is a synopsis of their updates/predictions.

1. By 2020 both Ashland & Northwood will be leaving the GLIAC for the G-MAC
    2. I asked if UIndy would be joining either GLIAC or G-MAC and while all of the coaches would love to see UIndy in their league, none of them felt UIndy would be leaving their current conference
    3. I inquired if any Indiana or Michigan NAIA school would make the jump to D2, specifically Indiana Wesleyan since they have excellent facilities & quality sports teams and could excel in either league, none of those five coaches or their staff thought that was a possibility
    4. Inquiring that if both Ashland & Northwood left the GLIAC, leaving just seven football schools remaining, the two GLIAC coaches thought that scenario would be a disaster
    5. The G-MAC coaches seem more optimistic on their conference's future, even with Malone dropping football and Lake Erie's program on life support...noted their geography as being in their favor to continue to expand
    6. My final question to the G-MAC coaches was if Notre Dame College would leave the MEC and come over...all three loved that idea and stated they had no knowledge of NDC's intentions but suggested they would likely not leave since they are having so much success in that conference

Not a lot of updates...but maybe some info that is new to some of you and worth more discussion and/or investigation

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

While I would be happy to have Northwood in the G-MAC, I just can't imagine that ever happening. Of course, you're a GLIAC fan so you would know more about their thoughts than I do. I think Ashland will jump and would not be surprised if UIndy stays where they are, although they would be a great add.

Comment

I still believe that the Falcons will eventually end up in the GMAC. It makes way too much sense not happen. However, I agree with point number 6 above. Recent success and a perceived easier path to playoffs may delay the move for awhile.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
          Ashland has point blank stated they are not headed to the GMAC.
          In 2018 they said they would revisit the issue in 2020.

Comment

Comment

I highly doubt that Seton Hill would give up membership in a league there at least five of their divisional rivals are two hours or less away from Greensburg for travel deep into West Virginia, Kentucky and Nashville. Cal U AND IUP are about 45 minutes to the west and northeast, respectively; Pitt-Johnstown is about an hour east; and Clarion and Slippery Rock are about 90 minutes away.

By contrast, Alderson Broaddus would be Seton Hill's closest rivals in the GMAC (two hours); Walsh/Malone are 2 hr, 30 min between Greensburg and Canton); Lake Erie is about 2 hr, 45 min away.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                In 2018 they said they would revisit the issue in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  I highly doubt that Seton Hill would give up membership in a league there at least five of their divisional rivals are two hours or less away from Greensburg for travel deep into West Virginia, Kentucky and Nashville. Cal U AND IUP are about 45 minutes to the west and northeast, respectively; Pitt-Johnstown is about an hour east; and Clarion and Slippery Rock are about 90 minutes away.

By contrast, Alderson Broaddus would be Seton Hill's closest rivals in the GMAC (two hours); Walsh/Malone are 2 hr, 30 min between Greensburg and Canton); Lake Erie is about 2 hr, 45 min away.
                  KWC and TNU have already openly discussed leaving the GMAC due to their travel. Seton Hill wants a conference to fit all their needs athletically. GMAC would be the best fit for them and have already expressed interest to the conference to become full members.

Comment

My best guesses are that no one is interested in joining the G-MAC and that even schools currently in the G-MAC aren't interested in being in the G-MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                      My best guesses are that no one is interested in joining the G-MAC and that even schools currently in the G-MAC aren't interested in being in the G-MAC.

Comment

Perhaps these schools should consider making a move to D3..honestly it might be the best solution for them.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit that I could be incorrectly reading the annual report information, but it looks like Findlay is operating in the black as well (92.4 Mil operating support and revenue vs. 91 Mil operating expense).

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                            Perhaps these schools should consider making a move to D3..honestly it might be the best solution for them.

Comment

Originally posted by oilerftbll View Post
                              I'll be the first to admit that I could be incorrectly reading the annual report information, but it looks like Findlay is operating in the black as well (92.4 Mil operating support and revenue vs. 91 Mil operating expense).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X