Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAC/GLVC/GLIAC/MEC Realignment

I am thinking that there could be some major shifts within these four conferences in the next few years. From what I am hearing, schools are looking to cut travel costs, so here is what I am thinking how it could break down.

GMAC - lose Kentucky Wesleyan, Trevecca Nazarene, Alderson Broaddus, Davis and Elkins (confirmed to be leaving), and Ohio Valley
    add Notre Dame College, Ashland, Urbana, Uindy, and maybe an NAIA school like Marian or Indiana Wesleyan
    GLVC - Lose Uindy and Lewis
    add Oakland City and Kentucky Wesleyan (also try to go after Washburn and/or bring back Lincoln from the MIAA)
    GLIAC - lose Ashland and
    add Lewis (also look at adding some NAIA Michigan schools)
    MEC - Lose Urbana and Notre Dame College
    add AB, D&E, OVU, Salem, and Bluefield

Thoughts?

Re: GMAC/GLVC/GLIAC/MEC Realignment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post
    GMAC - lose Kentucky Wesleyan, Trevecca Nazarene, Alderson Broaddus, Davis and Elkins (confirmed to be leaving), and Ohio Valley
    add Notre Dame College, Ashland, Urbana, Uindy, and maybe an NAIA school like Marian or Indiana Wesleyan
    If the GSC wanted to extend their footprint further into Tennessee (specifically, Nashville), then TNU would seem to be a logical landing spot. Of the adds, Urbana seems to be the most logical of the group that would best fit the GMAC's philosophy. I can't help but feel that Ashland joining the GMAC would seem inevitable in the long-run, but they are more than holding their own in the GLIAC.

GLVC - Lose Uindy and Lewis
    add Oakland City and Kentucky Wesleyan (also try to go after Washburn and/or bring back Lincoln from the MIAA)
    Washburn is in Topeka, Kansas, which would make that a non-starter for a league that currently stretches from KC/Springfield in Missouri to Indianapolis and Louisville. Oakland City brings virtually nothing to the table as a viable D2 program, and since they don't seem to want to schedule a full D2 schedule, maybe they should just drop their NCAA membership.

GLIAC - lose Ashland and
    add Lewis (also look at adding some NAIA Michigan schools)
    I'm not so sure that replacing Ashland with non-football Lewis (though their basketball programs have been among the tops in the GLVC, especially on the women's side) would be an even trade, to put it in that perspective. Replacing Ashland with UIndy, though...

MEC - Lose Urbana and Notre Dame College
    add AB, D&E, OVU, Salem, and Bluefield
    So, basically, bring back the old WVIAC? And, I'm presuming you meant Bluefield College in Virginia and not Bluefield State in West Virginia. That said, Salem got booted out of the GMAC, and that's all the people need to know about that train-wreck of an athletic program. Also, bear in mind that the West Virginia schools currently in the GMAC were part of the reason the WVIAC broke up in the first place, if I'm not mistaken. That said, Urbana for AB doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff; that might be the only logical change out of that group.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Bluefield State College President used to be president of West Liberty and spear headed the MEC conference..

Comment

Thoughts?
        All (except that Urbana is still a college) of what you posted would make sense if it was a start from scratch with no politics or pride involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          If the GSC wanted to extend their footprint further into Tennessee (specifically, Nashville), then TNU would seem to be a logical landing spot. Of the adds, Urbana seems to be the most logical of the group that would best fit the GMAC's philosophy. I can't help but feel that Ashland joining the GMAC would seem inevitable in the long-run, but they are more than holding their own in the GLIAC.

Washburn is in Topeka, Kansas, which would make that a non-starter for a league that currently stretches from KC/Springfield in Missouri to Indianapolis and Louisville. Oakland City brings virtually nothing to the table as a viable D2 program, and since they don't seem to want to schedule a full D2 schedule, maybe they should just drop their NCAA membership.

I'm not so sure that replacing Ashland with non-football Lewis (though their basketball programs have been among the tops in the GLVC, especially on the women's side) would be an even trade, to put it in that perspective. Replacing Ashland with UIndy, though...

So, basically, bring back the old WVIAC? And, I'm presuming you meant Bluefield College in Virginia and not Bluefield State in West Virginia. That said, Salem got booted out of the GMAC, and that's all the people need to know about that train-wreck of an athletic program. Also, bear in mind that the West Virginia schools currently in the GMAC were part of the reason the WVIAC broke up in the first place, if I'm not mistaken. That said, Urbana for AB doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff; that might be the only logical change out of that group.
          Good post CR.

Washburn would greatly increase their travel in a plan that was suppose to decrease travel. What incentive would they have to leave the MIAA for the GLVC anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            Good post CR.

Washburn would greatly increase their travel in a plan that was suppose to decrease travel. What incentive would they have to leave the MIAA for the GLVC anyway?
            I think Washburn is a option to look at for competitiveness, they could end up being the last private school left in the MIAA so they ,ay be looking to bounce.

Comment

1. I see Oakland City a a "buying low" kind of scenario. If you got in a new AD (of which they are hiring now), that wanted to really work to commit fully to D2, they could build a program to be competitive with the rest of the GLVC in a few years, similar to like the GLIAC adding Davenport for example. Suck for a few years, but now more competitive.
              2. I see TNU leaving if and only if KWC goes. Being in Nashville is really hard for them already and without KWC, they would have to go probably.
              3. Yes basically make the old WVIAC
              4. I see Lewis and Uindy moving for geography. With Purdue Northwest and Wisconsin Parkside in the GLIAC, I think Lewis is a logical step if the GLIAC loses anyone, and losing Ashland seems like an when not an if.
              5. Uindy left the GLIAC because they hated travelling to the northern Michigan schools and they now have the same issue with the GLVC, the GMAC just make sense and now is near same level competition wise in many sports.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
                All (except that Urbana is still a college) of what you posted would make sense if it was a start from scratch with no politics or pride involved.
                That is more or less the idea

Comment

Love how these scenarios almost always start with the GMAC shedding their bottom feeders to other conferences and then cherry picking from the top of the other conferences!!

Here's one I came up with:

MEC picks up Ashland, Ohio Dominican, Findlay, Bowie, Fayetteville State and Edinboro and break into East/West divisions:

MEC West:
                  NDC
                  Urbana
                  WLU
                  WU
                  Ashland
                  Ohio Dominican
                  Findlay
                  Edinboro
                  Fairmont

MEC East:
                  Glenville
                  Concord
                  UC
                  WVS
                  WV Wesleyan
                  UNCP
                  Frostburg
                  Bowie
                  Fayetteville State

Mercyhurst and Seton Hill go to the GMAC
                  U Indy goes to the GLIAC
                  Lincoln PA goes to the PSAC
                  Wise goes to the CIAA

Comment

I think Washburn is a option to look at for competitiveness, they could end up being the last private school left in the MIAA so they ,ay be looking to bounce.
                    Washburn is public. Newman will be the only MIAA private as of July 1.

Comment

This is just not realistic. It's wishful thinking to see change for change's sake and could eliminate or harm Washburn's rivalry with Emporia State - 60 minutes away. Every move you propose is influenced by what's best for the GMAC.

Comment

Call this the no-way-this-happens-cause-it-makes-too-much-sense realignment:

SR1 breaks into two conferences...The Great Mountain East Conference and the New England Keystone Conference, aligned thusly:

GMEC Midwest Division:
                        OD
                        Tiffin
                        Findlay
                        Ashland
                        Walsh
                        Lake Erie
                        NDC
                        Urbana
                        Mercyhurst
                        Seton Hill

GMEC Eastern Mountain Division:
                        WLU
                        WU
                        Fairmont
                        Frostburg
                        Cal
                        Concord
                        AB
                        WVS
                        UC
                        Glenville

NEKAC Keystone Division:
                        Shippensburg
                        Millersville
                        Lock Haven
                        ESU
                        SRU
                        IUP
                        Buro
                        Clarion
                        Gannon
                        Shepherd

NEKAC New England Division:
                        New Haven
                        Pace
                        Assumption
                        Bentley
                        So Con
                        Amer Int
                        St Anselm
                        West Chester
                        Kuztown
                        Bloomsburg

Comment

It's an interesting concept, but some of the splits confuse me. Cal may be the closest to WV, but it makes more sense for them to be in the "NEKAC" with the other PASSHE schools and put Gannon into the "GMEC". Then swap Gannon and Seton Hill's divisions.

And then if you're going to have a "New England" division, I'm pretty confused why you wouldn't put the most northeastern PA school, ESU, in there. Swap them out with Bloomsburg or West Chester.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            Call this the no-way-this-happens-cause-it-makes-too-much-sense realignment:

SR1 breaks into two conferences...The Great Mountain East Conference and the New England Keystone Conference, aligned thusly:

GMEC Midwest Division:
                            OD
                            Tiffin
                            Findlay
                            Ashland
                            Walsh
                            Lake Erie
                            NDC
                            Urbana
                            Mercyhurst
                            Seton Hill
                            No way Hillsdale gets left out. No reason to include Urbana.
                            Are not Gannon and Mercyhurst dance partners

Comment

One thing, for sure, somebody has a whole lot of time on his hands. :smile-big:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X