Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GMAC/GLVC/GLIAC/MEC Realignment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    It's an interesting concept, but some of the splits confuse me. Cal may be the closest to WV, but it makes more sense for them to be in the "NEKAC" with the other PASSHE schools and put Gannon into the "GMEC". Then swap Gannon and Seton Hill's divisions.

And then if you're going to have a "New England" division, I'm pretty confused why you wouldn't put the most northeastern PA school, ESU, in there. Swap them out with Bloomsburg or West Chester.
    Point was to break down the existing conferences...not just rebrand them. Perhaps it's not perfect (ESU vice WCU/Bloom) but it is an attempt to look at it from a strictly geographic standpoint.

To answer another persons observation, yea, I know there are a couple of teams left out (Hillsdale and UNCP) but since they are outliers and it was MY idea, I cut them free!

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
      One thing, for sure, somebody has a whole lot of time on his hands. :smile-big:
      Hahahaha!! I just work (and type) very, very fast!!

Comment

I do think some shifting will continue, but I don't see a huge seismic shift in the D2 landscape in the near future. I think whatever does spur the move will be another major player jumping to D1. Wherever that happens in the eastern half of the country will likely make a difference in what happens. Currently two schools, Augustana and Dixie State are making the move, but I don't think those will create a hug shift. Losing Dixie actually helps the RMAC by cutting it to a 10 school football conference, eliminating the bye week during the season.

I could see a few single teams move from one conference to another, such as the above mentioned TNU to the GSC.

I think Lewis could end up making a move to the GLIAC, while Indy goes to the GMAC in the future. I still don't think Ashland makes the move to the GMAC in the near future though. this might end up being a long term move if the GMAC develops into a stronger conference.

The GLVC is an interesting situation with their ever expanding westward movement. At what point do schools like Lewis, Indy and even Bellarmine decide enough is enough and decide to move east. I think for Lewis and Indy that time might come pretty soon. For Bellarmine they are still close enough to the rest of the GLVC they don't move.

Also, how many NAIA schools will make the leap to D2, throwing the balance off even more. NAIA has a problem with membership in some areas of the country, which could impact NCAA D2 in the future. For example, the Northeast is virtually devoid of NAIA schools, but some other areas have a denser population like the Mid-West and Southeast, where a team moving up could cause a shift in alignment.

I don't see any major shifts in the northeast that would trickle down into the GLVC, GLIAC, MEC, PSAC. LIU Post is closing as a separate school and combining with Brooklyn at the D1 level and Merrimack just moved to D1 after the 2019 season, but this doesn't really hurt the conferences those schools are in. The NE 10 will be at 14 schools and the ECC will be at 9, which are workable for their conferences. The NE10 might look for an additional football member as they are down to 9, which makes scheduling difficult, but I don't see them being a huge draw, plus the area is rich with low budget FCS teams and D3 teams they may be able to use to fill a football bye week.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
          I think Lewis could end up making a move to the GLIAC, while Indy goes to the GMAC in the future. I still don't think Ashland makes the move to the GMAC in the near future though. this might end up being a long term move if the GMAC develops into a stronger conference.

The GLVC is an interesting situation with their ever expanding westward movement. At what point do schools like Lewis, Indy and even Bellarmine decide enough is enough and decide to move east. I think for Lewis and Indy that time might come pretty soon. For Bellarmine they are still close enough to the rest of the GLVC they don't move.
          I always thought of UIndy as being a super long shot for the G-MAC. However, I never thought of the "what if Lewis goes to the GLIAC" angle. On top of that, there has been recent talk of Bellarmine going D1. Discussion regarding that was hot about a month ago (with their basketball coach even talking about it on the radio), but I've heard nothing about it recently. Couple that with the still-somewhat-recent loss of St. Joes and KWC, and I think I'll move UIndy to a solid "Maybe".

Comment

I don't see any major shifts in the northeast that would trickle down into the GLVC, GLIAC, MEC, PSAC. LIU Post is closing as a separate school and combining with Brooklyn at the D1 level and Merrimack just moved to D1 after the 2019 season, but this doesn't really hurt the conferences those schools are in. The NE 10 will be at 14 schools and the ECC will be at 9, which are workable for their conferences.
            Staten Island is moving up from D3 to replace LIU Post in the ECC, so they'll have 10.

Comment

I don't see any major shifts in the northeast that would trickle down into the GLVC, GLIAC, MEC, PSAC. LIU Post is closing as a separate school and combining with Brooklyn at the D1 level and Merrimack just moved to D1 after the 2019 season, but this doesn't really hurt the conferences those schools are in. The NE 10 will be at 14 schools and the ECC will be at 9, which are workable for their conferences. The NE10 might look for an additional football member as they are down to 9, which makes scheduling difficult, but I don't see them being a huge draw, plus the area is rich with low budget FCS teams and D3 teams they may be able to use to fill a football bye week.
              Just to clarify, the LIU Post campus is remaining open. It's the athletic teams which are merging to form the D1 program. Most of the major sports at LIU will be based in Brooklyn, others will be based at Post.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

UIndy has now lost NKU, KWC, St Joes and Bellarmine in recent years. Time to consider a move?

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...ae2c7e255.html

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

One thing, for sure, somebody has a whole lot of time on his hands. :smile-big:
                  Realignment threads happen every summer and they rarely play out in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

UIndy has now lost NKU, KWC, St Joes and Bellarmine in recent years. Time to consider a move?

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...ae2c7e255.html
                    Yes, if U Indy wants some decent rivalry games. Lewis and Southern Indiana (and Bellarmine) balked at adding football. My guess is U Indy is waiting for Ashland and maybe NDC to join the GMAC though. Also, no idea why the GLVC offices are still in Indy with so many St Louis area colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

Also, no idea why the GLVC offices are still in Indy with so many St Louis area colleges.
                      G-MAC can top that - its offices are in Indy, and they've never had a member from IN.

Comment

The NAIA national office has commented that they are in active discussions with 15+/- NCAA members. TNU is certainly one of them. Not sure who else of the group you listed. But I suspect Oakland City would be more interested in joining the NAIA KIAC as it's growth has now made it more of an option for them.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
                          The NAIA national office has commented that they are in active discussions with 15+/- NCAA members. TNU is certainly one of them. Not sure who else of the group you listed. But I suspect Oakland City would be more interested in joining the NAIA KIAC as it's growth has now made it more of an option for them.
                          This makes sense. Some schools should move up to Division II. Some should move to the NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

Also, no idea why the GLVC offices are still in Indy with so many St Louis area colleges.
                            Well, when you look at the GLVC from when I was at UIndy (late '90's), you find:
                            UIndy, St. Joe's (RIP), IPFW (now Fort Wayne, now D1), Kentucky Wesleyan (to GMAC), Northern Kentucky (now D1), Bellarmine (soon to be D1), Southern Indiana, Lewis, Wisconsin-Parkside (to GLIAC), Quincy, SIU-Edwardsville (now D1), and brand new member Missouri-St. Louis. Kentucky has been entirely lost, Wisconsin has been entirely lost, Indiana is cut in half, no expansion into any of those states (or Michigan or Ohio, though those were never likely). Expansion was all Illinois and points west.

Indianapolis is a lot more centrally located for that conference --more so than any other alternative. Also keep in mind that Ashland was once a member, which stretched the conference further east. (They left a long time ago, however.) From that, the word "still" is just a matter of inertia -- easier (and cheaper) to not move at all, or just move across town, than to move to another state. As for why the GMAC is there, my best guess is whoever selected it isn't very good at darts.

Conference realignment has substantially changed the composition and geography of the GLVC, which is why I don't feel that UIndy needs to feel any particular loyalty to it. Of the schools we were gunning for back in those days, only USI is still around regularly. Most of them aren't D2 anymore (the ones mentioned above, plus IUPUI as a crosstown rival). One isn't open anymore.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X