Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy out at LEC

The local newspaper is reporting, and I have independent corroboration, that Riley Murphy is out as head coach at Lake Erie College.

While the newspaper quotes Murphy as tweeting that he had resigned to seek other opportunities in coaching, at least one source indicates to me that there may be more to the story.

That's interesting. I was really rooting for the guy and the program. Tough job to take given the program history and the man and his staff were garnering actual respect in the conference and a turn around. I believe it was the best ever season for LEC fb.
    all other coaches in the GMAC still intact I assume.

Comment

The interim head coach is Denied "DJ" Boldin, former Detroit Lion, 49ers offensive assistant, and brother of Anquan. He was LECs receiver coach this past season.

Update: The cause of Murphy's leaving was apparently dissension within the team, player threats to transfer if he was kept, and the like. In short, as some in the program have said, "he lost the team".
      Last edited by LECfan; 11-23-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I am kind of curious as to what happened. I know Coach Murphy from his time out west. Its a little shocking that he wouldve lost the locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
          I am kind of curious as to what happened. I know Coach Murphy from his time out west. Its a little shocking that he wouldve lost the locker room.
          If he doesn't mind relocating a few hundred miles east there's an "out of the frying pan..." opportunity available in LOCK HAVEN PA. Beautiful countryside and great hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by LECfan View Post
            The interim head coach is Denied "DJ" Boldin, former Detroit Lion, 49ers offensive assistant, and brother of Anquan. He was LECs receiver coach this past season.

Update: The cause of Murphy's leaving was apparently dissension within the team, player threats to transfer if he was kept, and the like. In short, as some in the program
            have said, "he lost the team".
            Hard to believe, then clean out the whole staff because they either helped to contribute to it, or let it happen. Anonymous sources within the program?? Hopefully, this isn't a keep the kids happy move. If they want to transfer, they probably should because they don't want to be there. Just my thoughts.

Comment

LEC is a tough place to coach any sport. Very little to none student support at home football games as the school does NOTHING to get the students to the off campus high school stadium on game day (no game day student activities, no transportation to the stadium, no tailgating, etc) . LEC only uses athletics to draw students and has no commitment to putting a winning program together which comes directly from staff there. The school would not even contribute to new turf at their "home field" which is why it is adorned with the only the high school mascot. Salaries at LEC are small compared to others in the conf. and coaches move on as soon as they can as there is little support from the school. Guys coach here to get exposure and then move on asap, it has always been the way in every sport there. It is of no surprise that if he left it was because the school answers to the athletes who pay and will not support the coaches. No program will ever be competitive if the person/people hired to lead and supervise is not allowed to do so. If he wants to coach he should have another opportunity soon.

Comment

The head coach is D.J. Boldin, former Detroit Lion, 49ers offensive assistant, and brother of Anquan. He was LECs receiver coach this past season. His "interim" tag has been removed.

Update: The cause of Murphy's leaving was apparently dissension within the team, player threats to transfer if he was kept, and the like. In short, as some in the program have said, "he lost the team".

Further update: Murphy and the AD apparently disagreed about who should be honored at Senior Day, i.e., all seniors or only those that played. Add this to dissatisfaction with his salary (LEC's pay for coaches is very low in all sports) and some student complaints and the end result was a showdown leading to his firing.

For what it's worth, players dad is spot on in his view of the program.

Comment

LEC seems to be on the track that Urbana was before they just shut it down. The world of private college education is changing. If your not keeping up...your going to be left behind.
                  Last edited by unc4life; 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Probably be a last minute "oops, no football",

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                      Probably be a last minute "oops, no football",
                      Probably more like oops no more school. Schools like that are only open because of student athletes. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of their student body were athletes.

Comment

The Murph ended up here

https://gannonsports.com/sports/foot...ly-murphy/1351

Comment

649 total students
                          438 student athletes

Per eada https://ope.ed.gov/Athletics/#/institution/details

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post
                            649 total students
                            438 student athletes

Per eada https://ope.ed.gov/Athletics/#/institution/details
                            Wow! That does sound like the situation Urbana was in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X