Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Thoughts So Far

Well, we are now a few weeks in to the season with picture starting to become clearer.

It looks like Ashland is the clear front runner at this point to win the conference in their first season in the GMAC. They have had some impressive wins already, plus they will get their two biggest challenges at home, albeit back to back. I am not sure ODU nor Tiffin has enough to beat Ashland at home, however they both present a tough challenge, and having them back to back could create chaos.

Tough to see the Oilers with only 1 win to this point in the season, but with their tough schedule to start the season, it was always a possibility. To top that off, there is no break on the immediate horizon, with Ferris St coming in to town this weekend. This was for sure a tough start to a season for a new coach. I still think Coach Allen has a bright future with the Oilers. I am a little surprised with the early season struggles with the offense, but they do seem to have picked it up the last few weeks.

As mentioned, I think the conference is Ashland’s to lose this season as it sits right now, with ODU coming in #2, Tiffin #3, then a separation to Findlay, Hillsdale, and the rest of the league from there.

Any other thoughts? I know we had some coaching changes this off-season, how is everyone else seeing their team’s performance to this point?

It's Ashland's 2nd season in the GMAC. Findlay is a work in progress but I agree Allen will be here a long time.

Comment

You’re right, forgot they were in the league last year. I know they played league games, but for some reason was thinking this was their first official season, thanks!

Comment

I wouldn't just give Ashland the crown yet. They have played one conference game. ODU always plays Ashland tough, and Tiffin is strong, and we get them back to back. The one thing helping Ashland this year is what they went through last year. If you didn't follow Ashland much last year they lost about half or more of their initial starting lineup on both sides of the ball to injury. This forced guys into action that probably wouldn't have seen a lot of time. Now you have injured players back, along with backups that have played a decent amount of football. Much better depth on this team then in year past. Still a long way to go.

Comment

Tiffin had 2 heartbreaking losses. Had they won those games the GMAC would be looking at 2 playoff teams. Now, just 1. Had ODU pulled it out vs UIndy and they could have been in the mix too.

one thing for sure, Lake Erie had improved. Will be interesting next year when Thomas More Univ joins, they’ll likely be a bottom feeder but a balanced league schedule means only 2 OOC games will be needed going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
            I wouldn't just give Ashland the crown yet. They have played one conference game. ODU always plays Ashland tough, and Tiffin is strong, and we get them back to back. The one thing helping Ashland this year is what they went through last year. If you didn't follow Ashland much last year they lost about half or more of their initial starting lineup on both sides of the ball to injury. This forced guys into action that probably wouldn't have seen a lot of time. Now you have injured players back, along with backups that have played a decent amount of football. Much better depth on this team then in year past. Still a long way to go.
            For sure, Ashland will have earned the conference and playoff spot if they make it through those two games. As you mentioned, it seems as though Ashland still has the advantage on their talent and depth, but by no means will those games be easy.

Comment

1. Ashland - A very balanced team with a very good QB. ODU and Tiffin both have great teams but I do think Ashland can do enough to finish the season ranked in the top 5 going into the playoffs.
              2. Tiffin - Wow!! I just got to see this team play in person and they are loaded with talent. Should of beat Truman and they were every bit as good as Indianapolis too. Great balance on this team and fun to watch.
              3. ODU - I have only had the chance to watch ODU a little but they appear to be right there with the top 2 teams. Will find out Saturday as I will be watching that game against Ashland. Should be great!
              4. Findlay - I think there is a huge drop off from the top 3 teams. Findlay might get back on track as they have the hard part of the schedule behind them except Tiffin on their last game.
              5. Hillsdale - A very disappointing effort Saturday against Tiffin. Didn’t score and the Charger defense is as soft as they come. Their MLB is tough but QBs are trucking safeties. Bad look.
              6. Lake Erie - Probably will tie with Hillsdale with 3 league wins but that’s not guaranteed for Hillsdale so I could see Lake Erie finishing 5th in the league and I think they would take that finish.
              7. Northwood - The wood actually had a very good opening night win over KW but has looked like typical Northwood over the last 4 weeks. They do have some winnable games left on the schedule but probably not.
              8. KW - Had a great win a few weeks ago against Hillsdale but laid an egg this last Saturday. Only see 1 more league win.
              9. Walsh - Have only scored 40 points this season. Please help Walsh.

Comment

Originally posted by gmacking98

We need to clear house, Our HC is 10-33(includes this season so far). And we are running the same offense as the last few years. The OC seems to not adapt to the talent on the roster and more wants the roster to adapt to his offense.
                I agree probably time for a change. I got to see Walsh play in person earlier this season and thought during warmups that the team looked decent but when the game started it just looked like an unmotivated group that wasn’t getting the most out of their players. When that happens it’s time to change something. They do finish the season with some winnable games so I do hope they get 1 or 2 wins for the guys. Hate to see any team finish with 0 wins.

Comment

Hard to tell what’s going on behind the scenes. A 10-33 record seems to lean towards a potential issue with coaching for sure, but sometimes the players own some of the responsibility.

Comment

So far, Hillsdale with a nice bounce back with a big win over Northwood, Tiffin and Findlay roll, while LEC takes care of Walsh.

Right now, midway through 3, ODU up 7-0 on Ashland. Where’s all of our ODU and Ashland posters at? I know Ashland always had active posters on the GLIAC forum. I’m just surprised to not see any conversation by either side with this big game.

Comment

Right after posting that, heck of a pass by Ashland to put them on the board and tie it up 7-7 with little time left in the 3rd.

Comment

Heck of a game tonight!! Brenner (QB) did not practice all week due to Hip Pointer at Walsh during 1st qtr last week. Tried to go in warmups but AU went with back up. He played well but zero threat to run the ball. Brenner went in 2nd half and led the Eagles to 2 scores. The last score a 94 yard drive that took over 5 min. Defense held ODU to under 30 yards of offense in 2nd half. GMAC Championship next week in Ashland!

Comment

Glad to see Brenner was able to play and get the win. AU defense reminds me of those late 80,s early 90’s defenses under d coordinator Gary Keller, flying to the football and living in the other teams backfield. Holding teams to 9.2 points per game this year!

Comment

Eagles fan sweated it out against ODU. Now Tiffin comes to town. One question...why would you play Tiffin on Homecoming? I always like to have a sure "W" on Homecoming weekend.

This is a huge game for AU. Win this one and you have a great shot at an undefeated season and a good seeding in the playoffs. Tiffin will be ready. There chances at making the playoffs hinge on winning this game.

Overall, I'm excited where we are at with GMAC Football. Obviously there's no Ferris or GVSU, but Ashland is showing it's back to a playoff level. Tiffin has been consistently good as has ODU. We know Findlay is a solid program. It appears the middle of the road teams in the conference are getting more competitive. It's good the GMAC is not in Region 3. That region is a nightmare! It's actually unfair to only have 7 teams come out of that region. Let's hope the GMAC keeps getting better, to the point we can count on 2-3 teams making the postseason every year.

Comment

Originally posted by eagler927 View Post
                              Eagles fan sweated it out against ODU. Now Tiffin comes to town. One question...why would you play Tiffin on Homecoming? I always like to have a sure "W" on Homecoming weekend.

This is a huge game for AU. Win this one and you have a great shot at an undefeated season and a good seeding in the playoffs. Tiffin will be ready. There chances at making the playoffs hinge on winning this game.

Overall, I'm excited where we are at with GMAC Football. Obviously there's no Ferris or GVSU, but Ashland is showing it's back to a playoff level. Tiffin has been consistently good as has ODU. We know Findlay is a solid program. It appears the middle of the road teams in the conference are getting more competitive. It's good the GMAC is not in Region 3. That region is a nightmare! It's actually unfair to only have 7 teams come out of that region. Let's hope the GMAC keeps getting better, to the point we can count on 2-3 teams making the postseason every year.

Agreed. I think that the GMAC has become a solid conference, particularly for SR1. GMAC teams have shown well in postseason play over the past few season as well. To your point, it’s not the GLIAC, but it’s going to be tough to consistently compete with those state-funded schools; which is essentially why the GMAC was formed. If the GMAC could pull in Notre Dame, there’s no reason that this couldn’t be a top conference in SR1 in terms of depth top to bottom.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X