Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland's Lee Owens to retire?

Ashland announced this afternoon Ashland's head football coach Lee Owens has scheduled a press conference for 1pm on Friday. My guess is he will announce his retirement. Ashland football has come a long way under Owens. I would think Ashland would be a pretty desirable job for someone, with the current facilities and coming off a conference championship. Will be interesting to see what direction they choose.

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
    Ashland announced this afternoon Ashland's head football coach Lee Owens has scheduled a press conference for 1pm on Friday. My guess is he will announce his retirement. Ashland football has come a long way under Owens. I would think Ashland would be a pretty desirable job for someone, with the current facilities and coming off a conference championship. Will be interesting to see what direction they choose.
    Wow, that would be a big job. You could argue that its the best job in region 1 as well with the facilities and pretty good local recruiting.

Comment

Is it even plausible to think that they could get Taylor Housewright to come back to Ashland, or is he already too far entrenched into a D1 path? The risk, of course, is that someone who is proving himself already the way he is at a higher level (even though he hasn't been a head coach yet) would likely only be there for a handful of years. Just a thought/interesting query...

Comment

That would be a heck of a get for Ashland.

wonder if the coach at Wheeling would be a target, he’s a Mount Union grad who’s done well at a school with no money or facilities. Imagine what he could do at a D2 school with first class facilities and a much larger athletic budget

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
          Is it even plausible to think that they could get Taylor Housewright to come back to Ashland, or is he already too far entrenched into a D1 path? The risk, of course, is that someone who is proving himself already the way he is at a higher level (even though he hasn't been a head coach yet) would likely only be there for a handful of years. Just a thought/interesting query...
          Tony I would imagine Tyler would be interested. He’s an Ashland native. He led AU to the playoffs as their qb. In a tight community like Ashland, there’s no doubt Taylor would be a popular choice. With the new indoor facility, AU has a Top 10 football complex. I think Taylor and other AU players who are coaches would be interested. Plus I think a couple bigger names will go after this job

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
            I have been told by multiple people that the door is open if Housewright wants to come home. I think his career might be on a higher path, then AU. It will be interesting to see who applies. Ashland has put themselves in a very good position to get a good coach.

Comment

Thanks, Guys.

Yeah, I would think Ashland would LOVE to have him back. I covered him when he was playing for you guys, and remember that he was an Ashland native. Would be a neat sell for him to "come home" for his first Head Coaching position.

My worry for AU is (as I mentioned before) his stay might not be a long one, particularly if he can steer things the way you all would want. Still a VERY young fella, so getting him to hang out for anything longer than a few years (particularly if he has ambitions beyond D2) could be tough.

Sure seems like he's talented...MSU scoring nearly 45 a game this year, and doing it with 330+ per game on the ground. When you can score that much by running the ball all over people, you're doing some things right. Both of those are BIG jumps over last year when they won 12 times on their way to the finals. They sure look to be headed back again...

That might be AU's other problem in this quest (if it indeed is one)...he's already doing this at an elite level in FCS...does he stay on his D1 track? Going back to coach his alma mater in his home town has to be attractive, but there is also pressure to perform and to stay if he makes that move. Have to wonder if the $ would actually be enough as well...both short and long term.

AU's gig is one of the (if not the) most attractive that is still open as of this moment...

Comment

Sounds like it wont be Housewright for AU. I figured he has his sights set on bigger goals. Hope AU can get a new coach in here in the next few weeks.

Comment

From my understanding, Taylor is not one of the finalists. My source says there’s a couple of experienced, successful D2 coaches, AU OC Doug Geiser, and a surprise finalist who is well known in the football world

Comment

Originally posted by eagler927 View Post
                    From my understanding, Taylor is not one of the finalists. My source says there’s a couple of experienced, successful D2 coaches, AU OC Doug Geiser, and a surprise finalist who is well known in the football world
                    I will be happy with anyone other than Doug Geisel. I really hope AU goes outside the program is find a new coach.

Comment

I actually would be surprised if Geiser gets the AU job. I could be wrong, if I think he would have already been named if he was the selection. Hopefully AU’s hiring committee moves the search along so we don’t fall behind in putting together a staff and thus hurting our recruiting

Comment

Latest rumor…job offer is to someone outside the program that will create some buzz. If there’s no agreement, Doug Geiser could still get the job

Comment

Latest rumor…job offer is to someone outside the program that will create some buzz. If there’s no agreement, Doug Geiser could still get the job
                          Lets hope some of the football boosters help make this happen....hope they can have a new coach in place this week.

Comment

Looks like AU swung and missed. If you love AU football you can’t be happy with where this program is headed.

Comment

Ashland will announce today that offensive line coach Doug Geiser will be the new Head Coach. Honestly I don't know what to say. This is without a doubt the worst coaching decision I have ever seen any program at AU make. Geiser might be the worst coach in the GMAC next year. I think there are 5 other guys on AU's staff right now I would have picked over him. Tough day to be an Eagle.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X