Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
    No, but we both had disappointing finishes from an all sports perspective. And, if you are having disappointing finishes, it only hurts worse that you are driving further than you need to and spending more money than you need to. That time and money could be used in other ways if you stayed closer to home - with the potential investment helping improve your athletic department. Its not lost on me that both NDC and Urbana have moved down in the Commissioners Cup standings as the years have worn on. They were healthier athletic departments when they arrived. Travel takes a toll. Also, telling OH recruits that almost every conference away game will be played in WV likely takes a toll too.

Like I said before, this isn't a Big 10 / MAC situation. The MEC doesn't have all the "best" teams in OH and WV and the GMAC has all the "lesser" teams in OH and WV (or the opposite).
    So...Again, what benefit would the MEC derive from trading D&E and AB (or Ohio Valley) for NDC and Urbana? You're asking them to give away two programs that are good in a couple of sports and lower middle of the pack in most others for schools that are consistently in the lower third of the GMAC party much across the board.

I am also unclear on how you force a school to change conferences? I mean, the MEC has a whole to fill so if AB or D&E or Ohio Valley want to join, nothing stopping them from applying. While there are rumors about AB and the MEC meeting and they may apply in the future, there is no indication D&E or Ohio Valley have asked to switch conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
      Yeah, I'm not quite sure of the timing there. I don't think you lose your DIII status just because you apply to DII. I think you likely keep your status until the DII process has played out. I know that NDC kept its NAIA status during its DII transitional/provisional years. We were fully NAIA eligible the first two years, and were a bit in limbo that 3rd provisional year.
      I know one of the concerns from Frostburg was to remain D3 eligible at least this coming year. Apparently they have a really good football team coming back and they believe they have a legit shot at the D3 NC.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        I know one of the concerns from Frostburg was to remain D3 eligible at least this coming year. Apparently they have a really good football team coming back and they believe they have a legit shot at the D3 NC.
        Might be a playoff team, but they'll get bounced as soon as they play one of the heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
          Might be a playoff team, but they'll get bounced as soon as they play one of the heavyweights.
          Possibly...But they did make it through two rounds last season before getting bounced by the eventual NC (Mount Union).

Comment

1) Would LEC be for or against NDC joining GMAC due to proximity?
            2) Is Urbana financially stable and what sports would be a benefit to the GMAC?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
              1) Would LEC be for or against NDC joining GMAC due to proximity?
              2) Is Urbana financially stable and what sports would be a benefit to the GMAC?
              I don't think LEC would be in favor of NDC joining the GMAC. Urbana is much more financially stable than they were at this time last year due to the Franklin take over which moved them under them for budget. While adding sports and improving facilities is not an absolute indicator of financial stability, it does give a glimps that the Franklin folks at least see Urbana as a viable entity.

Comment

Who is LEC?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                  Who is LEC?
                  Lake Erie College Storm

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X