• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Great plan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Why? I mean, WE like football but is it fair to the 14 sports that has more schools participating in them than football to give football "extra" unearned points??
      Just a realization that football has a disproportionate # of participants, costs a disproportionate amount of money to support, garners a disproportionate amount of attention, and overall has a disproportionate amount of impact on a campus.

Other than football, I keep it purely mathematical.

Comment

Why? I mean, WE like football but is it fair to the 14 sports that has more schools participating in them than football to give football "extra" unearned points??
        I think it is based upon the impact of success and some other factors.

Before others might take offense to anything I say, hear me out. My nephew plays 9U baseball. His team is my favorite team. I want them to win more than any other team I know. I'd let the St. Louis Cardinals go winless so my nephew's baseball team could win all their games. But only 20 spectators, all relatives, are in the stands when the boys play. It doesn't mean my passion for him or his team is less because it doesn't have the reach of the NFL. Heck, I spend a vast amount of time covering Division II Football, which people often confuse with the FCS and D3. It doesn't mean my passion is less because the reach isn't as vast. So I understand the passion for other sports.

I actually think football deserves the most points, but I totally understand the logic for giving it the same as men's basketball. It's the hardest sport. It's an expensive sport. It's the sport that garners the most attention. The basketball championship is on CBS. The football championship is on ESPN. Those are obviously the marquee sports in D2 and should be treated as such. I think it's either intellectually dishonest or political correctness run amok to pretend that shooting sports be treated the same as football.

Comment

I think I said what BlueBlood said, only not nearly as well.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
              Just a realization that football has a disproportionate # of participants, costs a disproportionate amount of money to support, garners a disproportionate amount of attention, and overall has a disproportionate amount of impact on a campus.

Other than football, I keep it purely mathematical.
              I feel the same way. But the point of my question was that there are going to be people who say just that...and perhaps quite a few of them will be from the basketball community who will go from top dog, to co-top dog. I would also imagine that there would be some from the women's sports camp who would question why only a men's sport was given about double it's "real" number of points while no women's sport was given the same.

Seems like every solution is right...AND...wrong at the same time!

I do kind of like your points based on # of schools participating (minus the football bonus). Each school would get a raw score for their total points and then divide by the number of sports that they participate in. Then rank and stack.

Comment

I too find it difficult to believe that these "Directors Cup" rankings are driving kids to or from particular sports or universities. I'd like to meet the star field hockey recruit who says, "I'm going to Millersville because I think they deserve to be a top 50 school in the Learfield Directors Cup standings...and I'm just the woman to get them there!!!!!"
                That's a bit of a stretch, even in a strong field hockey state like Pennsylvania.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think that all D2 sanctioned sports should count, but that the value afforded to each sport should be weighted based on:

1. The number of schools that sponsor the sport
                  2. The number of student athletes that participate in the sport
                  3. The number of conferences that sponsor the sport

I don't think potential student athletes place any weight on a potential school's Directors Cup standings, but where the school ranks on the sport they are wanting to play (ie Football) may matter.

However, I think we want to encourage schools to add sports as opposed to reduce sports sponsorship. Therefore, I would support a more inclusive as opposed to restrictive view of what sports to consider for the standings.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X