Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything to this rumor?

D & E coming back to the MEC for all sports except football, UNC-Pembroke coming in for football only. Frostburg will be joining the MEC. If this would happen it would take some of the sting out of losing Shepherd and Wise

Re: Anything to this rumor?

Only place I've heard the D&E rumor is on this message board and one post on a consulting companies Twitter site. UNC-P was a hot rumor, at least on this message board, about four years ago. That would be a long drive BUUUUUTTTTT...adding them and Frostburg would lock down the 11 game schedule so in effect, they would become the OOC game for each team. I think for it to make sense, there would need to be some other additions which would allow the conference to split into NW/SE divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
      Saw this on the D&E site. They said many of the WVIAC schools used to have cabooses at their athletics complexes. They just recently brought theirs back. AB guys, did/do you have one?

Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
        D & E coming back to the MEC for all sports except football, UNC-Pembroke coming in for football only. Frostburg will be joining the MEC. If this would happen it would take some of the sting out of losing Shepherd and Wise
        Unless UNC-P is dissatisfied with the fact that Limestone went from being a 'scheduling alliance partner' to an 'associate member' of the SAC while Pembroke hasn't (at least, as far as I know), I would be stunned if they considered an offer to become an associate member in the MEC, considering the long drive from that part of North Carolina. If UNC-P was considering becoming an affiliate of a conference besides the SAC, then it would've been the CIAA, considering most of those schools are in North Carolina, though with Chowan remaining in the CIAA as a football affiliate, that door appears to have been closed. I'm not to sure what to make of the Davis & Elkins rumors, though. Unless they're seriously considering bringing Alderson Broaddus back into the fold, which I seriously doubt given the animosity between the two sides, I don't see how D&E is even a good fit for the MEC at this stage.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Hahahaha!! The D&E +1 to the MEC for NDC and Urbana is a thought you've had many, MANY times in the past...most recently about a week ago!!!

Still waiting for your thoughts on why such a "trade" would be a good thing for the MEC. Beyond some small travel savings, I cant see any reason why the MEC would want D&E.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            Unless UNC-P is dissatisfied with the fact that Limestone went from being a 'scheduling alliance partner' to an 'associate member' of the SAC while Pembroke hasn't (at least, as far as I know), I would be stunned if they considered an offer to become an associate member in the MEC, considering the long drive from that part of North Carolina. If UNC-P was considering becoming an affiliate of a conference besides the SAC, then it would've been the CIAA, considering most of those schools are in North Carolina, though with Chowan remaining in the CIAA as a football affiliate, that door appears to have been closed. I'm not to sure what to make of the Davis & Elkins rumors, though. Unless they're seriously considering bringing Alderson Broaddus back into the fold, which I seriously doubt given the animosity between the two sides, I don't see how D&E is even a good fit for the MEC at this stage.
            While UNCP would be a great fit for the MEC from an on field standpoint, I think the distance is just too great. The ONLY whay it makes sense is if there are other schools in the mix that would allow the conf to split into divisions.

Nothing beyond idle speculation here but if the MEC were to add a Southern Virginia, AB and Ashland plus one other football school to go along with Frostburg and UNCP, then you get to a point were you can split the conf into two divisions and distance becomes much less of an issue. Yea, alot of speculation there but thats the only way UNCP makes sense to me.

Of course, conference moves sometimes dont make a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Hahahaha!! The D&E +1 to the MEC for NDC and Urbana is a thought you've had many, MANY times in the past...most recently about a week ago!!!

Still waiting for your thoughts on why such a "trade" would be a good thing for the MEC. Beyond some small travel savings, I cant see any reason why the MEC would want D&E.
              Last edited by Stea1th; 07-04-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Oh, and happy Fourth!

Comment

For rivaleies to truely be rivalries, the two schools in them need to be roughly equivilent. In the WVIAC days, the schools that D&E had rivalries with were Ohio Valley, Salem, Bluefield and to a much lesser extent AB. Except for Bluefield, these schools ended up in the GMAC so it eould seem that from a traditional rivals standpoint, they are in the right conference.

Travel distance is also a bit disceving. Sure, there are schools in the MEC that would benefit from a shorter game v D&E than NDC, but not all. I note that WLU and WJ are further from D&E than they are from NDC.

Concerning schools being were they eant to be, i havent heard of any drum beat from NDC or Urbana leadership about their wanting to leave. If you believe posters here who said they heard from reliable sources that the GMAC had approached NDC and Urbana and offered them spots, NDC and Urbana not taking the offers seems to undicate they are happy with the MEC.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 07-04-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I note that WLU and WJ are further from D&E than they are from NDC.
                    Yes, you guys are our shortest trip in the MEC. Most are much longer. There are 7 schools with equal to shorter (some much much shorter, like down the street shorter) trips in the GMAC.

Comment

Concerning schools being were they eant to be, i havent heard of any drum beat from NDC or Urbana leadership about their wanting to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post

Comment

Comment

So we're left to believe a message board poster that has been posting for going on three years now that NDC is "unhappy" in the MEC and looking to move to the GMAC.

Comment

So we're left to believe a message board poster that has been posting for going on three years now that NDC is "unhappy" in the MEC and looking to move to the GMAC.
                              Captain, you can believe whatever you want.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X