X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazette: Report recommends merging boards of some WV state institutions

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/e...87ab51a89.html

Comment

Re: Gazette: Report recommends merging boards of some WV state institutions

The state will not make tough decisions. They had a chance to close WV Tech, but what did they do......move it to Beckley, closer to Concord and Bluefield where probably Bluefield needs to be mothballed. Concord and Bluefield are around 10 miles apart, in a area of declining population. Bluefield, VA College is just several miles from Bluefield. WV. Bluefield, WV really is not needed other than to help the local economy. Could you put a dorm there and convert it to a regional drug rehab facility? Try and work out a deal with VA and NC along with WV residents to send people there to be rehabbed. Also, the state is full of these community colleges which is keeping the enrollment of the four year schools down. Promise scholly sucks. Kids use it then go out of state for jobs.

Comment

Couple of observations. First this organization appears to have been largely dormant since 2003. Second, the enrolment data that they are pinning a number of their recommendations on ends in 2015...much has changed in the intervening three years AND this data is readily available. Third, I agree with many of their recommendations...Combining Concord and Bluefield makes sense...shared state-wide services for General Counsel, data/information services, student financial aid administration, procurement, library services and establishing a common on-line course system all make sense.

It seems that one of their other major recommendations is to re-establish a strong "state-wide" Chancellor. I don't agree or disagree with this as I believe there are ample examples of states that have a state-wide regional college system that are successful with a strong central Chancellor and probably an equal number of examples of states that are failing with one as well.

But really the greatest thing that makes me suspect of this report is its reliance on old data. Any time I see a report that is relying on outdated data to reach a conclusion in spite of the existence of readily available newer data, it makes me wonder about the validity of the reports findings...If the newer data shows the same things that the old data shows, why didn't they use it...Perhaps the new data paints a different picture so it was ignored? Hopefully, when this report actually hits the street, it will contain the most up to date information.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          Couple of observations. First this organization appears to have been largely dormant since 2003. Second, the enrolment data that they are pinning a number of their recommendations on ends in 2015...much has changed in the intervening three years AND this data is readily available. Third, I agree with many of their recommendations...Combining Concord and Bluefield makes sense...shared state-wide services for General Counsel, data/information services, student financial aid administration, procurement, library services and establishing a common on-line course system all make sense.

It seems that one of their other major recommendations is to re-establish a strong "state-wide" Chancellor. I don't agree or disagree with this as I believe there are ample examples of states that have a state-wide regional college system that are successful with a strong central Chancellor and probably an equal number of examples of states that are failing with one as well.

But really the greatest thing that makes me suspect of this report is its reliance on old data. Any time I see a report that is relying on outdated data to reach a conclusion in spite of the existence of readily available newer data, it makes me wonder about the validity of the reports findings...If the newer data shows the same things that the old data shows, why didn't they use it...Perhaps the new data paints a different picture so it was ignored? Hopefully, when this report actually hits the street, it will contain the most up to date information.
          Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
            Link?
            This report contains 2012-2016 enrolement numbers:

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl..._5July2018.pdf

And the "Fall 2017" link under Headcount Enrollment at West Virginia Public and Private Institutions of Higher Education by Residence, Attendance, and Gender will open a spreadsheet that shows fall of 2017 enrolement here:

http://www.wvhepc.edu/resources/repo...-publications/

To summarize:

5-year enrolment change % using the most current years (2013-2017):

Bluefield -21%
            Concord -12%
            Shepherd -8%
            West Liberty -7%
            Glenville -3%
            Fairmont -1%
            WV State +48%

5-year enrolment declines used by the report (2010-2014):

Bluefield -27%
            Glenville -23%
            Fairmont -18%
            Concord -15%
            Shepherd -6%
            West Liberty -5%
            WV State -5%

2016-2017 enrolment change %:

West Liberty +16%
            WV State +15%
            Shepherd +8%
            Concord +6%
            Glenville +4%
            Fairmont +4%
            Bluefield +2%

While enrolment declines are never good, the actual current 5-year numbers are quite a bit better than the numbers the reports authors uses to justify their findings. I note that in other parts of the report they use 2017 information...Leaves me to wonder why they chose to use old data when it came to enrolment. Perhaps "showing" two schools with 20+% enrollment declines and four schools with double digit % declines "proves" their case better than one school with 20+% enrollment decline and one other with a double digit decline???
            Last edited by boatcapt; 07-05-2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

PLEASE tell me that you didn't expect NCHEMS to use numbers from a report released on July 5, 2018 (from the name of the file) in their draft report of April 3, 2018.

Has boatcapt ever found anything free of conspiracy?

Comment

PLEASE tell me that you didn't expect NCHEMS to use numbers from a report released on July 5, 2018 (from the name of the file) in their draft report of April 3, 2018.

It's possible Boat killed Kennedy.

Comment

The report has been there since January of this year. A side by side comparison between the version I downloaded in January and this shows the changes are in the Community and Technical College portion of the report (Addition of a chart and addition of one footnote).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    It's possible Boat killed Kennedy.
                    I didn't...But I know who did (Rhymes with Moswald)!

Comment

And the "Fall 2017" link under Headcount Enrollment at West Virginia Public and Private Institutions of Higher Education by Residence, Attendance, and Gender will open a spreadsheet that shows fall of 2017 enrolement here:

West Liberty +16%
                      WV State +15%
                      Shepherd +8%
                      Concord +6%
                      Glenville +4%
                      Fairmont +4%
                      Bluefield +2%
                      Where are you getting these figures from because they don't configure based on the HEPC data that I am seeing? I am very curious to see how you came up with this percent of change. I am using page 11 of the 2016 HEPC Total Headcount Data & the 2017 Total Headcount Data.

Comment

West Liberty +16%
                        WV State +15%
                        Shepherd +8%
                        Concord +6%
                        Glenville +4%
                        Fairmont +4%
                        Bluefield +2%
                        These numbers are not correct by the headcount enrollment released.

West Liberty's headcount in 2016 was 2310 & in 2017 was 2443. That is an increase of +5.8% in one year.
                        WV State's headcount in 2016 was 3542 & in 2017 was 3877. That is an increase of +9.5% in one year.
                        Shepherd's headcount in 2016 was 3779 & in 2017 was 3736. That is a decrease of -1.1% in one year.
                        Concord's headcount in 2016 was 2451 & in 2017 was 2194. That is a decrease of -10.5% in one year.
                        Glenville's headcount in 2016 was 1641 & in 2017 was 1672. That is an increase of +1.9% in one year.
                        Fairmont State's headcount in 2016 was 4049 & in 2017 was 3881. That is a decrease of -4.3% in one year.
                        Last edited by JDonAB92; 07-07-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                          These numbers are not correct by the headcount enrollment released.

West Liberty's headcount in 2016 was 2310 & in 2017 was 2443. That is an increase of +5.8% in one year.
                          WV State's headcount in 2016 was 3542 & in 2017 was 3877. That is an increase of +9.5% in one year.
                          Shepherd's headcount in 2016 was 3779 & in 2017 was 3736. That is a decrease of -1.1% in one year.
                          Concord's headcount in 2016 was 2451 & in 2017 was 2194. That is a decrease of -10.5% in one year.
                          Glenville's headcount in 2016 was 1641 & in 2017 was 1672. That is an increase of +1.9% in one year.
                          Fairmont State's headcount in 2016 was 4049 & in 2017 was 3881. That is a decrease of -4.3% in one year.
                          You're going to make boatcapt break out the abacus.

Perhaps your data paints a different picture so it was ignored? :wink:

Comment

I took my data from one HEPC report to another HEPC report. I did not pick and choose from different reports.

The 2016 HEPC headcount came from page 11 of this resource:

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl...genda-Item.pdf

You compare that to the data from the 2017 HEPC found here:

I might add that both of these use the words "credit headcount". You have to be consistent in the data that you use.
                            Last edited by JDonAB92; 07-07-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Wvhepc rules allow a four year college to offer college course to hs students for $25 a credit offered as a hs class by hs teacher...

This can be included in FTE...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X