• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on the future of the MEC

https://therecorddelta.com/article/t...t-six-years-in

Re: Article on the future of the MEC

Comment

You missed the first sentence of that quote..."pure speculation at this point." The "word on the street" he is referring to is probably this message board.

Also worth noting that UVa-Wise did not do the same thing moving from D3 to DII...They moved from NAIA to DII.
      Last edited by boatcapt; 07-18-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        You missed the first sentence of that quote..."pure speculation at this point." The "word on the street" he is referring to is probably this message board.

Also worth noting that UVa-Wise did not do the same thing moving from D3 to DII...They moved from NAIA to DII.
        LOL. You're probably right!

Comment

UVa.-Wise moving from NAIA (Division 2.5) was easier for them to move up to DII than it will be for Frostburg State going from DIII to DII

Comment

Originally posted by pennbraz View Post
            UVa.-Wise moving from NAIA (Division 2.5) was easier for them to move up to DII than it will be for Frostburg State going from DIII to DII
            Why do you think that? From what little I've looked at, I think Frostburg is going to quickly be a good member of D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              Why do you think that? From what little I've looked at, I think Frostburg is going to quickly be a good member of D2.
              Frostburg is set up to become good quickly but obviously, the proof will be in the pudding. Maryland is considered one of the top states for recruits in the nation (DC/Maryland/Virginia). They are located in a state with only one other DII member AND that school recruits primarily in only 2 to 3 Maryland Counties. Frostburg will also be able to offer lower in-state tuition Maryland recruits than DII's in WV, PA or VA. Frostburg has facilities that are on par with or exceed in some cases, the DII programs they will be competing against for recruits. Their "Regional Tuition" is pretty generous in both amount and area...certainly that isn't going to trump in-state, but they will be able to hold their own when a PA school for example and Frostburg are competing for a Eastern Ohio athlete. As with a number of WV schools, Frostburg also participates in the Academic Common Market meaning they can offer in-state tuition for recruits from participating states (WV, VA and others). Also, unlike many of the schools they will be recruiting against in WV and PA, their enrolment level is pretty stable showing only minor yearly up and down fluctuations.

No guarantees but they do have a number of advantages that could result in rapid success.

Comment

The "word on the street" he is referring to is probably this message board.
                I would hope that a former SID has better sources than this board, but I guess you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                  I would hope that a former SID has better sources than this board, but I guess you never know.
                  Even so, I wish they'd stop looking and start buying. :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    I think it won't happen overnight for Frostburg to be good in many of their teams, but it will be in a good situation to become one in reasonable amount of time. It will all depend on scholarship $$, the players they are able to get and the coaches. Some sports it will be quicker for them than others. I have nothing against Frostburg and for it to move up to the MEC and DII is a good thing for the school as it is the level for a very good student-athlete experience.

Comment

Frostburg has some pretty solid programs, some middle of the road ones, and a couple that are pretty bad. Best programs are Football, Baseball and Softball were they are consistent winners and often nationally ranked in D3. Men's Soccer has been very good in the recent past but the last two years have been sub par (and sub 500). Women's Soccer is a quality program with a winning tradition. Volleyball has been bad but has shown a couple of years of good results so they seem to be on the up swing. The two basketball programs have been bad for a while. The men's program just hired a new HC but his credentials coming in are not very strong. Women's program has improved a little under a 3rd year HC but they are still sub 500.

Not a MEC sport but it will be interesting to see what happens with women's Field Hockey. They have been bad but there are so few DII FH teams that I think a turn around can happen pretty quickly. I know the play a lot of FH in MD high schools and put a lot of players on D1 squads so perhaps there is a pool of DII caliber players they can tap that are currently going out of state.

I think the big problem going from a non-athletic scholarship level to one that offers athletic scholarships is that basic difference. It's not enough to look for the "same type" of players you've looked for in the past and just offer them athletic scholly $'s. You are now looking for an almost completely different "level" of athlete (and often a different "level" of student). Having never done this before, D3 coaches can find it hard to shift gears. At best, it probably takes a year or two for them to shift gears and refocus on DII athletes...at worst, a good D3 coach may never figure out how to recruit DII well.

I look for Football, Baseball and Softball to become good rather quickly (3 years?)...men's and women's Soccer and women's Volleyball to take a little longer but ultimately become solid DII programs...Sadly, I think men's and women's Basketball have a pretty long road to hoe before they become respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                        Even so, I wish they'd stop looking and start buying. :smile-big:
                        I don't have an inside contact, but I'm only one degree of separation. "Word on College Road" is that NDC and the GMAC remain in contact, but that a move is not necessarily imminent. There are things that are out of NDC's control that would have to happen first. While my gut still thinks that a move makes too much sense to not eventually happen, I do think that there is a decent chance that the we remain MEC for a long time. I'm fine with that. We will be fine in either conference. The MEC switch from UVA-Wise to Frostburg is beneficial to NDC.

Comment

Frostburg has some pretty solid programs, some middle of the road ones, and a couple that are pretty bad. Best programs are Football, Baseball and Softball were they are consistent winners and often nationally ranked in D3. Men's Soccer has been very good in the recent past but the last two years have been sub par (and sub 500). Women's Soccer is a quality program with a winning tradition. Volleyball has been bad but has shown a couple of years of good results so they seem to be on the up swing. The two basketball programs have been bad for a while. The men's program just hired a new HC but his credentials coming in are not very strong. Women's program has improved a little under a 3rd year HC but they are still sub 500.

Not a MEC sport but it will be interesting to see what happens with women's Field Hockey. They have been bad but there are so few DII FH teams that I think a turn around can happen pretty quickly. I know the play a lot of FH in MD high schools and put a lot of players on D1 squads so perhaps there is a pool of DII caliber players they can tap that are currently going out of state.

I think the big problem going from a non-athletic scholarship level to one that offers athletic scholarships is that basic difference. It's not enough to look for the "same type" of players you've looked for in the past and just offer them athletic scholly $'s. You are now looking for an almost completely different "level" of athlete (and often a different "level" of student). Having never done this before, D3 coaches can find it hard to shift gears. At best, it probably takes a year or two for them to shift gears and refocus on DII athletes...at worst, a good D3 coach may never figure out how to recruit DII well.

I look for Football, Baseball and Softball to become good rather quickly (3 years?)...men's and women's Soccer and women's Volleyball to take a little longer but ultimately become solid DII programs...Sadly, I think men's and women's Basketball have a pretty long road to hoe before they become respectable.
                          As usual, you made some pretty good points Boat.

We will have to play the wait and see game to see how this pans out, because this can go either way. Will Maryland resident kids playing at other D-II, FCS and MAYBE FBS programs that are not getting any playing time consider Frostburg St knowing that there is a pretty solid chance they would get some playing time after assuming the team only has "D-III players" there?

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                            I don't have an inside contact, but I'm only one degree of separation. "Word on College Road" is that NDC and the GMAC remain in contact, but that a move is not necessarily imminent. There are things that are out of NDC's control that would have to happen first.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                              As usual, you made some pretty good points Boat.

We will have to play the wait and see game to see how this pans out, because this can go either way. Will Maryland resident kids playing at other D-II, FCS and MAYBE FBS programs that are not getting any playing time consider Frostburg St knowing that there is a pretty solid chance they would get some playing time after assuming the team only has "D-III players" there?
                              From a recruting standpoint, it truely is all about the coaches. The DMV produces MANY quality D1 football players and as witnessed by Shepherd and some other out of state DII's, many quality DII players as well. Question will be can the Frostburg staff make that shift from IDing D3 level in state talent to DII level and make the case to those players that staying "home" is in their best interest? They will have a financial advantage but financials dont always win the day.

I think their early recruting will be strongly influenced by what they do this coming season. If they make another deep playoff run or even win the D3 NC, they will be able to pitch a pretty strong case to MD players (STRONG national D3 program stepping up to DII to show them how football is played in MD...+ cheaper in state tuition...in a place were your parents can easily come see you play).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X