Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Field Advantage

What, if any, antics should a home team utilize for the sake of home field advantage? There's a reason behind the question that I'll expand on a little later.

For those using mobile who may not be able to see the answer choices:

1. Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    2. Stadium playing music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    3. Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors the home team's first downs and scores
    4. None of the Above - or anything else for that matter. At the D-II level it's hostile and unsportsmanlike.
    5. Other - Explained below (one add-on in the General Discussion section was allowing the crowd to use noisemakers).
    Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming 3rd down
    41.18%
    Stadium music played for an opponent's upcoming 3rd down
    17.65%
    Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors first downs and scores by the home team
    17.65%
    None of the above, It's unsportsmanlike, hostile and unnecessary at this level
    17.65%
    Other - Explanation provided below
    5.88%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Raymond Franze; 10-28-2018, 09:39 PM.
    I can be reached at [email protected].

Comment

Re: Home Field Advantage

???
      What Poll?

Comment

Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
        ???
        What Poll?
        Polls are not viewable on mobile for some reason.

Comment

Are you saying they played music 'during' the play? If that is the case ... not a fan of that at all.

That's like the home team blasting music during a free throw in basketball. The crowd can make all the noise they can ... but pumped in sound shouldn't be allowed.

At IUP we have the exact opposite. Our 'competition' band sits in the endzone and loves to blast songs while IUP is in the red zone. Makes sense, right?

Comment

@ Nick - Shep '05 ... thanks for clearing that up regarding the poll options not viewable for those using mobile. I added the choices in the original post.
            @ IUPbigINDIANS ... the music ended prior to the actual play

I added them on the original message at the top, but for those on using a mobile device and can't utilize the actual poll feature, here are the options available regarding what antics should a home team be allowed/utilize to create a home field advantage atmosphere:

3. Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors the home team's first downs and scores
            4. None of the Above - or anything else for that matter. At the D-II level it's hostile and unsportsmanlike.
            5. Other - Explained below (one add-on in the General Discussion section was allowing the crowd to use noisemakers).

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Franze View Post
              @ Nick - Shep '05 ... thanks for clearing that up regarding the poll options not viewable for those using mobile. I added the choices in the original post.
              @ IUPbigINDIANS ... the music ended prior to the actual play

I added them on the original message at the top, but for those on using a mobile device and can't utilize the actual poll feature, here are the options available regarding what antics should a home team be allowed/utilize to create a home field advantage atmosphere:

If the music ends prior to the actual snap ... probably no issue and not illegal. In that case, yes, I'd just call it a home field advantage.

Comment

As long as they don't play loud music, make obnoxious noises or emphatic sounds during the snap operation and play..I'm fine with the rest. That's home field advantage. Actually, most schools now practice with loud music to create the distractions during practice so really it isn't something people don't prepare for anyway

Comment

Bands are overrated as a "home field advantage" tools...except to the performers in the band and their parents that come to games just to see them play. Until a marching band reaches a certain size, they are more of an embarrassment...kind of like having a 10,000 seat stadium with 8,500 empty seats.

Comment

I said I would reveal the inspiration for the poll. A couple of weeks ago at a game, a fan (family member probably) of the visiting team approached the press box staff to--I'll be polite--express frustration over the lack of sportsmanship because the home team played music (recorded songs via speakers, not the band) when the visiting team reached 3rd down. The fan was livid because it wasn't fair as the music didn't play when the home team had an upcoming third down play; and that the visiting team didn't do that to their opponents during home games.

I looked it up, the MEC policy is that music (speaker, band) in between plays is acceptable as long as it ceases prior to the Center taking his stance over the ball. And I can attest the home team adhered to that policy. The music did not continue while the Center was over the ball.

Definitely one of the most unique situations I've witnessed at a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Franze View Post
                      I said I would reveal the inspiration for the poll. A couple of weeks ago at a game, a fan (family member probably) of the visiting team approached the press box staff to--I'll be polite--express frustration over the lack of sportsmanship because the home team played music (recorded songs via speakers, not the band) when the visiting team reached 3rd down. The fan was livid because it wasn't fair as the music didn't play when the home team had an upcoming third down play; and that the visiting team didn't do that to their opponents during home games.

I looked it up, the MEC policy is that music (speaker, band) in between plays is acceptable as long as it ceases prior to the Center taking his stance over the ball. And I can attest the home team adhered to that policy. The music did not continue while the Center was over the ball.

Definitely one of the most unique situations I've witnessed at a game.
                      Did you tell them to get lost?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Did you tell them to get lost?
                        As a guest in the press box, I felt it was more appropriate for the school's staff to handle the situation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X