Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ABC-Ya Later Bowl

It was/is an embarrassing way to go out. In reviewing Shepherd's schedule for next year, I'm placing the over/under on wins at 6 and, I'm taking the under after watching yesterday. Also, the over/under on McCooks being the coach is 4 years - I'm taking the under as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nova2wv View Post
      It was/is an embarrassing way to go out. In reviewing Shepherd's schedule for next year, I'm placing the over/under on wins at 6 and, I'm taking the under after watching yesterday. Also, the over/under on McCooks being the coach is 4 years - I'm taking the under as well.
      You don't follow the program close enough if you were embarrassed about this season's finish. Just go back and look at the cluster of winning we've had over the last 15 years or so. It's a good couple recruiting classes... about 3-4 years of really solid finishes... and then a dud around .500 because we need to reload in recruiting. This season was always going to be one of those "duds."

Granted its a stronger conference we are moving to, so yea perhaps we need to dial back the expectations initially. But if you've been around the leadership in our AD and HC, we aren't going up there just to be part of a stronger conference. The idea is to continue to be successful and make a run at things like we always have. Look at the contributing players this year. QUITE a few underclassmen with freshman and sophmores all over especially on Defense.

Now i will say if they don't get stronger guys at DT and interior of the OL, then yes it might not be a smooth transition at first. Line play was the issue this year, and it was the reason we got upset in round 1 last year. Our defensive line is soft. No other way to put it. Our offensive line can't get tough yards when they need it either. That needs to change, in a hurry.

Comment

Was at the game Saturday & you have to give Wise credit, IMO they just wanted it more, to finish out the season & conference with a statement.
        The wind was a factor, & I know we are a pretty young team this year, but the interceptions, fumbles, dumb penalties were certainly not what you want in the last game of the season.

Totally agree on both lines needed to be strengthened & recruited better. As we well know, that's been Shepherd's & SR1's achilles heel when getting deep in the playoffs.

Comment

I said it at the beginning of the year after the 1st game and I'll say it again now -- McCooks needs to gain the respect of this team and after watching Sat. he doesn't have IT!!!!! In what should have been a statement win/building towards next year/motivation for the off-season or whatever you want to call it - the younger players are not hungry and don't have the discipline. Going to the PSAC will be an eye-opener and if we don't get some leadership, running ground attack, kicking, etc..... My over/under on McCooks will be 3 years. It will be a classic case of a great OC who goes to HC because they are next in line and put in their due -- The job should have gone to Kline!

Comment

Originally posted by nova2wv View Post
            I said it at the beginning of the year after the 1st game and I'll say it again now -- McCooks needs to gain the respect of this team and after watching Sat. he doesn't have IT!!!!! In what should have been a statement win/building towards next year/motivation for the off-season or whatever you want to call it - the younger players are not hungry and don't have the discipline. Going to the PSAC will be an eye-opener and if we don't get some leadership, running ground attack, kicking, etc..... My over/under on McCooks will be 3 years. It will be a classic case of a great OC who goes to HC because they are next in line and put in their due -- The job should have gone to Kline!
            It's a big offseason for Shepherd this year. The Lineman presently in this program are flat out not strong enough or tough enough. It will be a long year in the PSAC if they don't get it figured out up front. I have faith that they will get it figured out, but we'll see.

In McCooks defense sometimes the upperclassmen are the ones most resistant to any changes and you just need to let them go so that you can work on the younger guys (I think Kline and McCook are a good ying and yang for each other, I wanted Kline having played for him). Winter workouts hopefully will be demanding as it usually is, and the team will buy in.

Comment

my wife and i attended the game on Saturday - it was the first time in over 10 years of attending games -heat/heavy rain/snow/cold - that we walked out early. To many unforced errors - special teams play resulting in TD for Wise, punts going less than 10 yards, bad penalties, etc. they had moments of splendor during the year, but not nearly enough. to many interceptions (avg 2+/game), soft lines (both lines). Need to improve in several areas - both on and off the field to be respective in the PSAC next year. three losses is not many but it could have been none - even the ND game was winnable.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X