Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At last it's over!

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    Does D2 have the same early signing period as D1?
    From what I read it's only for D1. I would imagine it would have a sort of trickle down effect on recruiting as D1's try to lock their first tier recruits during the early period. I would imagine it would be a bit disconcerting for a player who had made a verbal commit to an offer from a D1 is asked to "hold off" on signing their NLI until February ("regular" NSD). I would think that some players would be wondering how much the school that they had verbally committed to REALLY wants them!

There has been a flurry of recent offers with the most mentioned WLU coach being Dan Hopkins. Also looks like Coach Hopkins is getting with the Twitter program here recently! Couple of nice posts about the new weight room and dome as well as some posts about the areas and schools he will be recruiting in on a particular day or week.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 12-20-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      From what I read it's only for D1. I would imagine it would have a sort of trickle down effect on recruiting as D1's try to lock their first tier recruits during the early period. I would imagine it would be a bit disconcerting for a player who had made a verbal commit to an offer from a D1 is asked to "hold off" on signing their NLI until February ("regular" NSD). I would think that some players would be wondering how much the school that they had verbally committed to REALLY wants them!

There has been a flurry of recent offers with the most mentioned WLU coach being Dan Hopkins. Also looks like Coach Hopkins is getting with the Twitter program here recently! Couple of nice posts about the new weight room and dome as well as some posts about the areas and schools he will be recruiting in on a particular day or week.

Comment

Last edited by HeavenontheHill; 12-21-2018, 04:51 AM.

Comment

As of several years ago, I know at least some of the coaches were aware of the board and would lurk from time to time. They didn't get "coaching tips" but liked to tune in for comic relief...There were some funny guys on the board back then...TouchdownforCarlsBigBoy used to go toe to toe with everyone but particularly CaptCrunch...BadCarl was always up for a good debate and there were a number of others who didn't shy away from saying what was on their mind. Board now is a pale politically correct shadow of what it was back then!

Comment

Good memories, TouchDownforCarlBigBoy, a voice of the past. Carl, if you are still out there, lurking around the Potomac River, around the sewer pipes coming out of Shepherdstown, give us a shout!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
              Good memories, TouchDownforCarlBigBoy, a voice of the past. Carl, if you are still out there, lurking around the Potomac River, around the sewer pipes coming out of Shepherdstown, give us a shout!
              Yea...BigBoy was a hoot! "Shepherd has a stable of horses" and "In Such we Trust" were some of his classic lines of "discussion." Funny stuff when he'd go toe to toe with "Chunchy" on the UC QB who was "super smart!!" And his riffs on Monty's "golden stash" made me blow more than a few drinks out my nose from laughter! Pretty sure either BigBoy or Bad Carl still owes me a bottle of rum over some message board bet we made on some now obscure game! Of course, I think I still owe one of them a bottle of Jack over some other bet we made so I guess we're even!!

Not holding out hope seeing as BigBoy apparently hasn't signed into the forum since Oct 8, 2017, but come back Carl...we miss you even though you where a Sheep fan!!!!
              Last edited by boatcapt; 12-21-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Layton; 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Layton, you do a good job. Don't let that arrogant, know it all creep get to you. Based on his past post he is well satisfied with the results of the football program.
                    Last edited by Sportsnut; 12-22-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

We all want to see them succeed again. They obviously need to make some kind of big changes to get it turned around.

Comment

I'm neither a friend or an enemy to this coaching staff. Just as it's right and OK to praise a HC and staff when they have on field success, it's equally OK to criticize them when they have sustained failure. We heaped large doses of praise on Wailaie and staff back when they were doing very well and no one other than fans of other teams said we should "stop." Now that they have been doing very poorly for an extended period and we are criticizing them, we are told that we should be more supportive. Sorry...can't have it both ways. Not their mom and my love is not absolute.

Past success of this HC and a large chunk of the staff proves that they can be successful. Let's not forget that his first six years as our HC he had a 68.7 winning %. And contrary to what some will say, he did that with three different starting QB's. Over the next eight years including this year that just passed, he has lead a team with a 34.1 overall winning %. The question is is this HC the guy we saw during his first five years who was on an arc to be among the most winning HC's in DII history and has just been the victim of an outrageous eight year string of incredible bad luck, is he the coach who we've seen field bad teams for the last eight years who just got lucky over the first five years of his career or is he somewhere in the middle. Looks like we will continue to get the chance to answer that question because he apparently ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Hopefully the changes in football recruiting starting this year are just the visible tip of the change iceberg and after eight long years of failure, big changes are occurring across the board on the Hilltop. But coaches are creatures of habit and are very reluctant to change unless forced to do so. Let's hope either the appropriate force has been applied behind the scenes OR this coach is different than a typical coach and is willing to make the necessary dramatic changes absent outside pressure.

While I want WLU to succeed and I hope this HC has changed, I'm not confident that that has happen.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 12-23-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Past success of this HC and a large chunk of the staff proves that they can be successful. Let's not forget that his first six years as our HC he had a 68.7 winning %. And contrary to what some will say, he did that with three different starting QB's. Over the next eight years including this year that just passed, he has lead a team with a 34.1 overall winning %. The question is is this HC the guy we saw during his first five years who was on an arc to be among the most winning HC's in DII history and has just been the victim of an outrageous eight year string of incredible bad luck, is he the coach who we've seen field bad teams for the last eight years who just got lucky over the first five years of his career...

Comment

I'd say based on longevity with one program, he's below average. Most programs would probably have canned him at LEAST three years ago.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X