Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC Attendance

I am curious about attendance all over the D2 world. Last year I did an RMAC attendance thread, in which I listed the attendance of every game played in an RMAC stadium every week and I also listed all RMAC teams ranked based on home attendance, updated weekly. I am wondering if anyone here wants to do a MEC attendance thread? The attendance is almost always listed in boxscores posted online on teams' athletic websites. I will check back here to see if anyone does this. If anyone would like an idea of how this might look, you can check out last year's RMAC attendance thread which I started and updated weekly.

??????https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...tendance/page4

Anecdotally, attendance figures as posted in the box scores seem to have little correlation with the number of people actually attending games. Don't know if it is still this way, but several years back UC would give tickets away with purchases from local Wendys (purchase a small chicken nugget, get two tickets to the upcoming home game free). Box score during that period of time would report "attendance" at 10,000+ every home game but when you looked at the stands, CLEARLY there were no where near 10,000 people at the game. Also, some schools (WLU) don't seem to count people coming through the gates.

Comment

Opening day attendance figures...

Frostburg State's 3,200.

Charleston 2,000
      Last edited by sportsvine; 09-06-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Opening day attendance figures from Sat 9/7

Wheeling 2,824

Notre Dame 2,459

West Virginia Wesleyan 846

Comment

I have no idea how Wheeling could count attendance. All they did was charge for parking for each vehicle and not how many people were in it. They had no actual ticket booth to buy tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
            I have no idea how Wheeling could count attendance. All they did was charge for parking for each vehicle and not how many people were in it. They had no actual ticket booth to buy tickets.
            So admission was free? If you lived nearby and walked to the game (or got dropped off close to the stadium and walked in), you wouldn't have to pay admission to enter? Perhaps their attendance figure was purely based off of cars and number of occupants in the cars that paid for parking?

Comment

That's why I'm skeptical of all "attendance figures." No consistency in what the term means. Does it mean people who have brought tickets? Does it mean people actually went through the turnstyles? Does Is it cars in the parking lot? Are tickets given to local charities included? Is it a WAG by the SID? Etc...etc...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

So admission was free? If you lived nearby and walked to the game (or got dropped off close to the stadium and walked in), you wouldn't have to pay admission to enter? Perhaps their attendance figure was purely based off of cars and number of occupants in the cars that paid for parking?
                I believe so. Once we parked there was no set place to go to get tickets like everyone else has. We just walked to the away bleachers and sat down.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  That's why I'm skeptical of all "attendance figures." No consistency in what the term means. Does it mean people who have brought tickets? Does it mean people actually went through the turnstyles? Does Is it cars in the parking lot? Are tickets given to local charities included? Is it a WAG by the SID? Etc...etc...etc.
                  Regardless of all of your points, which are fair and valid points, I find this sort of information interesting. There are some pretty good discussions in some of the other conference attendance threads I've created.

Comment

MEC home openers attendance from week 2

Concord 1,830

Fairmont St 981

Urbana 2,006

Comment

MEC home openers not mentioned so far.

Glenville State 1,450

West Liberty 1,795

All MEC teams have now hosted a game.

Comment

Ad3