Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland moves to GMAC

We are now completely surrounded.

Could be enough to push NDC to consider the switch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
      We are now completely surrounded.

Comment

I thought the were supposed to move to the MEC?

Comment

Comment

Just becasue the MEC wants them doesn't mean NDC wants the MEC. After seeing Urbana shut down, and Wheeling's and UNCP's uncertain futures, I think NDC needs to consider it. I just hope the MEC has a few back-up plans to add schools in case they lose a couple. I hate to see conferences with low numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Just becasue the MEC wants them doesn't mean NDC wants the MEC. After seeing Urbana shut down, and Wheeling's and UNCP's uncertain futures, I think NDC needs to consider it. I just hope the MEC has a few back-up plans to add schools in case they lose a couple. I hate to see conferences with low numbers.
              Which schools could they add ? IMO, the best option for both the GMAC and MEC is a merger with a North (GMAC) and South (MEC) division to counteract the size of the PSAC. Not unlike the P5 superleagues in D1. Then if the weaklings, WHEELING, UNC-P, KWU etc drop out or leave they have the option of shifting like the PSAC East-West instead of cutting games to an unsustainable level. Almost no chance this will happen but it's better done now than when the bottom falls out.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Seems like a no brainer and I'd be surprised if they're not currently considering the move. NDC would be a great add for the G-MAC.

Comment

Would the GMAC be considered the premier SR1 conference now potentially?

GMAC- hillsdale, Ashland, ODU, Findlay, ND down the road potentially.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Seems like a no brainer and I'd be surprised if they're not currently considering the move. NDC would be a great add for the G-MAC.
                        Agree. Seems like just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I would consider the PSAC and GMAC right on par with each other. 2 great conferences with much depth, and no 1 trick pony.

Comment

Football may drive the bus, but I'd argue that the non-revenue sports (soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc.) would definitely benefit from having six rivals within a 60-90 minute drive of South Euclid. Ursuline is practically next door in Pepper Pike, Lake Erie is a short hop up I-90 in Painesville (Lake County), the Canton duo (Malone/Walsh) are about 30 minutes south - if I-77 cooperates - and Ashland is about 75 minutes down I-71. Tiffin is less than two hours via the Ohio Turnpike and Ohio Dominican (Columbus) is about the same distance as Wheeling/West Liberty, only it's a straight shot down 71. That more than offsets longer road trips to Hillsdale (about 3:15 via Ohio Turnpike/Indiana Toll Road), Philippi (about four hours via Ohio/PA Turnpike and I-79) or Owensboro (7:15 via I-71 to Louisville and I-64/US 231).

Don't underestimate the reduction in lost class time and travel expenses (ie. no need for as many hotels, shorter drives, etc.) for the smaller sports. It's a big difference making a pair of same-day trips to Canton compared to overnight (or longer) trips to Charleston, Wheeling/West Liberty or Fairmont/Buchannon every season. And, the GMAC could organize the basketball schedule so longer road trips (ie. Ohio Valley/A-B, KWC/TNU could be scheduled for the outlying schools during winter breaks, depending on when they fall.

I'm sure football will have some influence on the direction of NDC athletics as a whole, but I can't help but think that, strength of schedule notwithstanding, they might come around to the idea of joining the GMAC.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Right now, yes. Honestly, though, I think you could say the PSAC and GMAC probably the two contenders, but the addition of Ashland is a game changer for the GMAC.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X