Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Right now, yes. Honestly, though, I think you could say the PSAC and GMAC probably the two contenders, but the addition of Ashland is a game changer for the GMAC.
    They are both deep with strong programs.

Consider PSAC football Tier 1 (in no order): Slippery Rock, IUP, California, West Chester, Shepherd.

Top 5 you can say are pretty even. The next tier likely favors the PSAC, mid-conference depth-wise (Shippensburg, Bloomsburg, Mercyhurst, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are both deep with strong programs.

Consider PSAC football Tier 1 (in no order): Slippery Rock, IUP, California, West Chester, Shepherd.

Top 5 you can say are pretty even. The next tier likely favors the PSAC, mid-conference depth-wise (Shippensburg, Bloomsburg, Mercyhurst, etc.).
      The GOLDEN BEARS ????

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The GOLDEN BEARS ????
        West bias. Lol. Yes, you are correct. Kutztown, too.

Comment

https://ledenews.com/mountain-east-w...ho-comes-next/

Comment

Good article tackling a lot of problems facing the MEC. One it only hinted at but which looks very real to me is the possibility of NDC moving to the GMAC. No matter how many charts you draw up a Northern Ohio college is a much more logical fit in an Ohio conference than a WV one.
            A joint effort to get AB and/or SHU to join the MEC would seem like their best option. The only possible downside to going after SHU is the PSAC would then have an open spot in the West for nearby FROSTBURG. It will be interesting to watch even with all of the other craziness.

Comment

Honestly, even the PSAC is a better option for NDC. You have Edinboro, Mercyhurst and Gannon right there, a shortish drive East on 90. Seton Hills joins the MEC and NDC leaves and takes their spot? That would kind of backfire wouldn't it lol.

Comment

Good article. I don't know if Seton Hill would want to join the MEC because of geography. Can someone do a chart on travel?

If Bluefield adds football that would be phenomenal for the conference. I still don't know if AB wants to make the move. I can see it happening because of location, but once again, they were with the GMAC since its beginnings and hung on to the 3 member football conference years ago. It is much much better now.

I do think it is inevitable that NDC goes to the GMAC. I think that is more likely than AB going to MEC.

Are there any other D-3s in Maryland close by? I know FSU was on their own island. How about D-3's in southwestern PA?

Can the MEC make a run at Cumberland and Georgetown like the GMAC did years ago? I know they were denied D-2 membership years ago, but I am just throwing out names.

Comment

I think most of the DIII teams in SWPA that would fit geographically are in the PAC. If they were interested in moving up, might work. Geographically, Central State would be better off in the G-MAC or even the MEC, but they aren't leaving their conference. Only other D2 school in Maryland is Bowie State ... they aren't jumping ship either. Would kind of help FSU, but even still, that's a near 3-hour drive. A-B's gym is going to be a problem no matter what conference they are in.

Comment

If I had to guess:
                    NDC to the GMAC
                    AB to the MEC
                    Frostburg to the PSAC (at some point)

Comment

The article mentions Central State, Ohio's publicly funded HBCU, which is currently in the SIAC and formerly part of the GMAC. Part of the reason Central State left the GMAC was because they didn't sponsor the required number of core sports. From the article:

Central State would also encounter the same issues with the MEC as they did with the GMAC. From the G-MAC bylaws:

BYLAW 4: RECOGNIZED SPORTS

Section 1 Conference Championship Sports

1.1 Each institution must sponsor the following core sports:

1.1.1 Men -- Soccer, Basketball, and Baseball.
                      1.1.2 Women -- Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball and Softball.

From the MEC Constitution:

Section 3 Membership Requirements

Members of the conference agree to:

3.3 Satisfy the Conference core sports sponsorship requirements stipulated in the Conference Bylaws. Each member institution is required to compete in the following sports:

3.3.1 The Board of Directors may determine whether or not it may wish to grant an exception to the core sports requirement. An exception would require 2/3 vote.
                      3.3.3 (sic) New members may be required to sponsor a sport(s) as a condition of membership.

Central State currently sponsors the following sports:

MEN: Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Track (Indoor and Outdoor) and Volleyball
                      WOMEN: Basketball, Cross Country, Track (Indoor and Outdoor) and Volleyball

Unless Central State adds some combination of soccer, baseball and/or softball, the MEC will probably not consider them for membership.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by DasHewz80 View Post
                        Honestly, even the PSAC is a better option for NDC. You have Edinboro, Mercyhurst and Gannon right there, a shortish drive East on 90. Seton Hills joins the MEC and NDC leaves and takes their spot? That would kind of backfire wouldn't it lol.
                        Hadn't thought of NDC in the PSAC but you are quite correct that they are much closer to all of the West schools than to the MEC. Ready to make the swap private for private whenever they're ready. The connection vs GU, MC and BORO would save them a lot versus UC, GSC and either FSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                          If I had to guess:
                          NDC to the GMAC
                          AB to the MEC
                          Frostburg to the PSAC (at some point)
                          Unless a PASSHE school closes or UPJ/one of the private schools (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill) decides to leave the PSAC, there simply isn't a spot for Frostburg in the PSAC at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Hadn't thought of NDC in the PSAC but you are quite correct that they are much closer to all of the West schools than to the MEC. Ready to make the swap private for private whenever they're ready. The connection vs GU, MC and BORO would save them a lot versus UC, GSC and either FSU.
                            As stated upthread (or perhaps it was in one of the other Ashland to the G-MAC threads), NDC has at least six G-MAC schools which are within the same travel footprint of NDC as Gannon/Mercyhurst/Edinboro - at least four are within an hour or less in Painesville, Pepper Pike (the next town over from South Euclid) and two in Canton.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Unless a PASSHE school closes or UPJ/one of the private schools (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill) decides to leave the PSAC, there simply isn't a spot for Frostburg in the PSAC at this time.
                              Correct....at this time.

Comment

What is the deadline for notification for leaving?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X