Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alderson Broaddus to the Mountain East

ABU athletic department just announced seconds ago.

Coming in for this year, as well. Immediate replacement for Urbana. Amazing that they have 650 student-athletes, according to their AD.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
      Coming in for this year, as well. Immediate replacement for Urbana. Amazing that they have 650 student-athletes, according to their AD.
      How soon before NDC announces to GMAC ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

How soon before NDC announces to GMAC ?

Comment

In an article of an interview with Amos after the Urbana closure. He said that the MEC had been in contacted by four football playing schools and two that didn't currently play about joining the conference. Amos indicated that WVU Tech was the school that did not currently have football. He didn't indicate who the other schools were but clearly AB was one. Seporate interview of the Salem AD and basketball HC seems to indicate the second non-football playing college is Salem. During the same interview, the AD said that football may be on the table to make Salem more desirable.

With the current 11 teams for the 2020 football season, coupled with the reduction in games from 11 to 10, the MEC can enact their plan of a closed schedule. I would look for the conf to increase to 12 in 2020.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 06-07-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

BoatCapt, you are much calmer regarding AB addition than I anticipated.

Comment

Time to cancel the MEC... and go back to calling it the WVIAC minus shepherd.

Comment

Why is there such a disregard for certain schools in WV? I know it seemed for a long time that AB was on the outside looking in, and I am just wondering why that was? Also, why did Salem drop football? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know.
                Thank you
                Last edited by Tdobson; 06-08-2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                  Why is there such a disregard for certain schools in WV? I know it seemed for a long time that AB was on the outside looking in, and I am just wondering why that was? Also, why did Salem drop football? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know.
                  Thank you
                  It may be ALMOST HEAVEN but it's also the home of a bit of a disagreement in the southwest corner where the TUG FORK runs into the BIG SANDY. The mountain folk of WV do tend to hold grudges. They'll sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                    BoatCapt, you are much calmer regarding AB addition than I anticipated.
                    They have been begging to join the MEC since the day it was created. It was bound to happen at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                      Thank you
                      Ahhhhh...History of the MEC, Cliff Notes version:

There was the WVIAC which was made up of football playing schools, and not football playing schools. The football playing schools wanted the conference as a whole to commit more effort (and resources) to becoming national powers. The non-football playing schools treated intercollegiate athletics as little more than intermural. This became more and more contensous, particularly when NCAA $'s were distributed by the conf with non-football playing schools demanding and equal slice of the pie even though they were doing nothing to earn the $'s. AB, which had been one of the non-football playing schools and voted acordingly, decided to start a football program and commit more to inter-collegiate athletics. Along came UVa-Wise which was an NAIA program looking to step up to DII and start a football program to boot. AB voted along with the other WVIAC football playing schools to foster and sponsor this process. Process went through several votes over the course of a year with AB voting in favor on each of those occasions. Then came the day of the final vote by the WVIAC on weather to formally sponsor UVa-Wise as it moved through the NCAA transition phase to DII. On that occasion, AB chose to drop a bomb and vote against UVa-Wise joining the WVIAC. At that point, the conference unravelled pretty quickly with the football playing schools voting to leave the WVIAC and start a new conference. The truely funny part was that AB was shocked when they weren't invited to join the MEC!!!

There were also comments made by AB's HC and President (they were brothers) about how AB was going to show the WVIAC football playing schools how it was done which didn't really sit well with the other WVIAC schools.

As for Salem, don't know why they stopped football after 1987. I would imagine that it was a financial decision of some sort. Worth noting, they left the WVIAC in 2010 to become a DII independent.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        The non-football playing schools treated intercollegiate athletics as little more than intermural. This became more and more contensous, particularly when NCAA $'s were distributed by the conf with non-football playing schools demanding and equal slice of the pie even though they were doing nothing to earn the $'s..

Comment

Money was distributed by the NCAA to the conference based on playoff partisipation and performance. The conference distributed to it's members how ever they saw fit. Crux of the issue was that schools that were increasing their athletic budgets (the football schools) and were seeing success because of it wanted a bigger share of the NCAA $'s...the non-football schools that were not increasing their athletic spending, and were having no success (as usual) wanted an equal share of the NCAA $'s.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            In an article of an interview with Amos after the Urbana closure. He said that the MEC had been in contacted by four football playing schools and two that didn't currently play about joining the conference. Amos indicated that WVU Tech was the school that did not currently have football. He didn't indicate who the other schools were but clearly AB was one. Seporate interview of the Salem AD and basketball HC seems to indicate the second non-football playing college is Salem. During the same interview, the AD said that football may be on the table to make Salem more desirable.

With the current 11 teams for the 2020 football season, coupled with the reduction in games from 11 to 10, the MEC can enact their plan of a closed schedule. I would look for the conf to increase to 12 in 2020.
                            Who do you suspect these other schools to be, Boat?

Comment

Don't know. Just guessing but I would say Central State and Pikeville. I've heard that a CIAA school also expressed interest and a D3 in either Ohio or western PA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X