Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

No AQ in football.
    I know - but when 80% of the field qualifies for the 7 spots, you may as well call it an AQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

I know - but when 80% of the field qualifies for the 7 spots, you may as well call it an AQ.
      As it stands right now, two of the four SR1 conferences are planning on playing football this fall, the GMAC and the MEC. That is 19 schools. There were 9 teams in the two conferences that finished with 7 or more wins on the season. Seven of those 9 are playoff eligible this year. I'd say those 7 teams are the odds on favorites this year. Those 7 teams are:

1. NDC (10-1)
      2. Tiffin (9-1)
      3. Charleston (8-3)
      4. Ohio Dominican (7-3)
      5. WV State (7-4)
      6. Findlay (7-4)
      7. Glenville (7-4)

For the record, Wheeling finished 1-10 last season so let's just say they would have some work to do.

Comment

As it stands right now, two of the four SR1 conferences are planning on playing football this fall, the GMAC and the MEC. That is 19 schools. There were 9 teams in the two conferences that finished with 7 or more wins on the season. Seven of those 9 are playoff eligible this year. I'd say those 7 teams are the odds on favorites this year. Those 7 teams are:

1. NDC (10-1)
        2. Tiffin (9-1)
        3. Charleston (8-3)
        4. Ohio Dominican (7-3)
        5. WV State (7-4)
        6. Findlay (7-4)
        7. Glenville (7-4)

For the record, Wheeling finished 1-10 last season so let's just say they would have some work to do.
        Okay, so I may have exaggerated a little bit; however, 25 teams have been removed from the field thus increasing their odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

Okay, so I may have exaggerated a little bit; however, 25 teams have been removed from the field thus increasing their odds.
          I agree, deleating 2 conferences does increase there odds...from 1,000,000 to 1 to 999,999 to 1!!!! Kind of like Dumb and Dumber...So you're saying there's a chance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
            https://mountaineast.org/news/2020/6...20-return.aspx

Practice for football starts August 17, Competition starts as early as September 10. No out of conference games for football, men's and women's soccer, volleyball and men's and women's basketball.
            If there are "No out of conference games for football" wouldn't that include theoretical playoff games versus the GMAC ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

If there are "No out of conference games for football" wouldn't that include theoretical playoff games versus the GMAC ?
              MEC statement talks about NCAA Championships:

The MEC Return to Competition Plan is contingent upon state and local public health conditions and associated restrictions, as well as any potential adjustments to NCAA championship schedules and/or legislation.

If the MEC plan was to compete ONLY in-conference and forgoe any Championship play, they would have either left the part about NCAA Championships out of it's statement OR specifically said they would not be partisipating in them.

Comment

MEC statement talks about NCAA Championships:

The MEC Return to Competition Plan is contingent upon state and local public health conditions and associated restrictions, as well as any potential adjustments to NCAA championship schedules and/or legislation.

If the MEC plan was to compete ONLY in-conference and forgoe any Championship play, they would have either left the part about NCAA Championships out of it's statement OR specifically said they would not be partisipating in them.
                Or avoided commenting altogether in order to leave the most wiggle room down the road when/if they are forced to decide. It's nothing to be worried about they've simply bought more time before committing which is a common institutional practice.

Comment

Or avoided commenting altogether in order to leave the most wiggle room down the road when/if they are forced to decide. It's nothing to be worried about they've simply bought more time before committing which is a common institutional practice.
                  Never know what the future holds but MEC statement clearly indicates that they are in for the playoffs vice ONLY playing a siloed in conference schedule.

Could change tomorrow, but for now, they are all in.

Comment

Who knows if the NCAA would maintain the rigid regional format. Many things were on the table to months ago before entire conferences began cancelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      Who knows if the NCAA would maintain the rigid regional format. Many things were on the table to months ago before entire conferences began cancelling.
                      Well, there are people pushing for that when times are normal. I would imagine that they would push even harder in troubled times. Then they would site that as a shining example of how well non-regionalization works and how that should become the new normal.

Comment

Don't be suprised when the MEC Cancels football and moves it to the spring sometime this week or next week

Comment

https://mountaineast.org/news/2020/7...athletics.aspx

Won't start playing until October 1st.
                          Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 07-21-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Comment

Highly unlikely but if MEC plays FALL FB and most of the rest of D2 plays spring FB and decide to have some form of NC, how can the MEC champion compete after 3-4 month layoff? GLIAC just cancelled Fall sports.

Comment

Highly unlikely but if MEC plays FALL FB and most of the rest of D2 plays spring FB and decide to have some form of NC, how can the MEC champion compete after 3-4 month layoff? GLIAC just cancelled Fall sports.
                                My understanding is that the MEC is planning on playing its cancled games in the spring. That would be 3 to 4 games. If I were them, I'd do three conf games and then a "conf championship week" were 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6, and so on.

As for how they can do it after a 3-4 mo layoff, don't think it would be that hard. Just have whatever the NCAA allows as "preseason camp" and launch into games every 2 weeks. Depends on how, or even if, the NCAA decides to do any sort of playoffs as to when the spring schedule starts and finishes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X