Clear All

• Frostburg St 1st D-II class

Here's Frostburg State's 1st D-II Recruiting Class:

https://frostburgsports.com/news/201...y-central.aspx

Re: Frostburg St 1st D-II class

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Here's Frostburg State's 1st D-II Recruiting Class:

https://frostburgsports.com/news/201...y-central.aspx
    Good amount of size it looks like. They are going to need it.

Was definitely concerned for Shepherd's future in recruiting with them moving to D2... this class is basically entirely in the same area of where Shepherd focuses. Gonna be interesting going forward.

Comment

They hit MD HARD which was expected. But they also pulled six players from Northern VA which probably wasn't expected. They also got a D1 grad transfer QB who was the former starter at Albany.

If they keep this up, they could be a front line contender pretty quickly!

Comment

How did Wheeling Jesuit impact the MEC? I didn't see anything about their class. I know they were trying to make some inroads in the WPIAL (like everybody else).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          How did Wheeling Jesuit impact the MEC? I didn't see anything about their class. I know they were trying to make some inroads in the WPIAL (like everybody else).
          Their signees are listed on their Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/wjufootball

Comment

Heavy OH and MD. Odd that ZERO are from WV...not even Wheeling Catholic which plays its home games at WJ.

Comment

And here's Coach Fitzgerald commenting on his Recruiting Class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvztrVc6k9k

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                And here's Coach Fitzgerald commenting on his Recruiting Class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvztrVc6k9k
                Fitzgerald is a dynamic young coach no doubt! Beyond the specifics of who they recruited, this is a VERY informative interview about the dynamics of recruiting...The quality of players from DMV compared to the rest of the nation, the "school size" vs "winning program" dynamic and the size/speed/length difference between the various NCAA levels.

I'm starting to get worried about the Cat's. They may not challenge for the MEC title this coming season but they are going to be much better than maybe we thought they would be their first year. If they keep on course and continue to recruit like they did this year, they will be in the top tier of the MEC pretty quickly and the top rung of the MEC pretty much dominates SR1.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Fitzgerald is a dynamic young coach no doubt! Beyond the specifics of who they recruited, this is a VERY informative interview about the dynamics of recruiting...The quality of players from DMV compared to the rest of the nation, the "school size" vs "winning program" dynamic and the size/speed/length difference between the various NCAA levels.

I'm starting to get worried about the Cat's. They may not challenge for the MEC title this coming season but they are going to be much better than maybe we thought they would be their first year. If they keep on course and continue to recruit like they did this year, they will be in the top tier of the MEC pretty quickly and Shepherd dominates SR1.
                  Fixed it for you, chief. (Last sentence)

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                    Fixed it for you, chief. (Last sentence)
                    But I've been lead to believe that Shepherd is going to be an also ran in the PSAC...how can they dominate SR1 when they are an also ran??? Meanwhile, the MEC just keeps rolling to SR1 titles...NDC last year...Shepherd before that and Concord before that. Next season will be more of the same and in a couple of years, Frostburg will probably be ready to claim their place at the top of the MEC and SR1 heap.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      But I've been lead to believe that Shepherd is going to be an also ran in the PSAC...how can they dominate SR1 when they are an also ran??? Meanwhile, the MEC just keeps rolling to SR1 titles...NDC last year...Shepherd before that and Concord before that. Next season will be more of the same and in a couple of years, Frostburg will probably be ready to claim their place at the top of the MEC and SR1 heap.

Comment

Frostburg St 1st D-II class

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                            FSU could easily be getting the leftovers from Shepherd.
                            Frostburg State has ALWAYS gotten the leftovers from Shepherd and Bowie State. As far as playmakers in this recruiting class, I would say again Frostburg State got the leftovers. Besides RB "Boogie" Middleton and the graduate transfer QB I thought the rest of recruited playmakers were just ok. Maybe Coach Fitzgerald is waiting for more "casualties" from the FCS and D-II level after Spring practices, but other than WR Malik Morris they are REALLY lacking at the skill positions. I am REALLY pulling for Frostburg, but it will take them a little time to be competitive at the D-II level

Comment

Never said Frostburg would be good their first DII season. I did say that they would be better than expected. Now two+ years out, yea, I think they will be good and will compete for MEC titles and with that comes a pretty good shot at the SR1 crown.

Shepherd was good for a number of reasons. A large part of that was Monte but it also helped that they were the major DII recruiter in the very fertile Maryland part of the DMV. With Frostburg moving up to DII, now they have a direct challenger and their recruiting will probably suffer as a result. As for Bowie being a Maryland recruiter, really the only place they have traditionally heavily recruited is PG County (were Bowie is located) and to a much lesser extent, Baltimore City. Not saying they have never pulled a recruit from any other part of the state, just that it really hasn't seemed like a focus for them.

Is there room for Frostburg AND Shepherd to be successful recruiting the majority of their roster from MD? Sure it is. But I think what is likely to happen is that players that may have ended up going to Shepherd because they were effectively the only game in town will now have a second option and that option will be able to give them a lower tuition "bill" (lower in-state tuition). McCook and Shepherd will still get some (many?) from MD but the quality will probably be reduce due to the direct cheaper compation.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X