Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WV Public Universities Fall 2020 Enrollment Numbers

Numbers for the fall of 2020 are out for WV Public Colleges. Not surprisingly in this time of Covid, the WV State system showed an overall 2.8% decline in enrollment compared to fall 2019 numbers. I am a little surprised as I would have thought this number would have been well over 5%. Of the schools we are most interested in, here is their decline (gain):

Schools that "beat" the decline average:

Glenville +6.0%
    WV State +4.5%
    Bluefield -0.8%
    Fairmont -1.0%
    West Liberty -1.5%
    Concord -1.9%

WV System schools that saw enrollment declines greater than the WV average:

Shepherd -12.3%

MEC Public members outside of WV:

Frostburg -6.0%
    UNC-P +7.0%

The enrollment numbers are down here in California too and probably in most other states. Hopefully they'll be on an incline for the Fall semester of 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
      The enrollment numbers are down here in California too and probably in most other states. Hopefully they'll be on an incline for the Fall semester of 2021.
      I truely thought they would have been down much more than they actually are...at least in WV. It would be interesting to see the PA and MD numbers as well as the numbers for the private schools in the MEC, GMAC and PSAC. Interesting to note that with the addition of D&E and AB, the MEC now has a roughly 50/50 public/private mix.

Comment

Just curious if the enrollment is higher or lower for out-of-state students this fall. Would think people would stay with in-state tuition rates rather than going to schools that have higher rates for out-of-state enrollees.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
          Just curious if the enrollment is higher or lower for out-of-state students this fall. Would think people would stay with in-state tuition rates rather than going to schools that have higher rates for out-of-state enrollees.
          It seemed to be a mixed bag with some schools seeing increases in out of state students and others seeing declines. But as with the surprizingly small overall decline, the out of state rise and fall at the individual schools was not by a shockingly large number.

Comment

The enrollment numbers include hs students being taught by hs teachers at 25 a credit per wv hepc rules... so a 3 credit class costs $75 for the hs kid... every 4 kids taking a 3 credit class becomes 1 fte...

now 4 public schools Bluefield State, Concord, Glenville, and WV State are under wv hepc jurisdiction...

fairmont, shepherd, and west liberty have autonomy per las legislative session... I am not sure if they increased the cost or not...

marshall and wvu were charging $25 a credit for hs kids last I checked in 2017

Comment

Frostburg cut its on campus student capacity from roughly 4k to 1200 students by design. There will be a much higher incoming rate for fall '21 if we go back to double occupancy rooms.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X