Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC 2021 Coaches Poll

On the eve of football season starting, The MEC released it's 2021 Coaches poll. The MEC will be divided into North and South divisions of six teams each. Each team within the division will play a 5 game regular season against the other members of its division with the two division regular season champions playing in the MEC Championship Game.

The poll lined out as follows:

MEC North
    1. Notre Dame
    2. Frostburg
    3. Fairmont
    4. West Liberty
    5. Wheeling
    6. AB

MEC South
    1. Charleston
    2. WV State
    3. Glenville
    4. UNC-P
    5T. Concord
    5T. WV Wesleyan

In an interesting twist, looks like the MEC is going to permit fans to attend games so come on out and buy some tickets!!

Slate of two games on March 11 kick off the season with Frostburg hosting AB and Wheeling playing host to Fairmont. Games follow every Sat after that until the MEC Championship Game on April 17.

Since it's such a short season and a new conference, I'll be happy if AB wins one game. I'm not greedy. ;)
    Thu, Mar 11 @ Frostburg State 1:00
    Thu, Mar 18 vs Wheeling University 1:00
    Sat, Mar 27 @ Fairmont State 12:00
    Sat, Apr 3 vs West Liberty 12:00
    Sat, Apr 10 @ Notre Dame College 12:00
    *Eastern Time
    Last edited by crixus; 02-28-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

MEC North is stacked with NDC, Frostburg and Fairmont! Those three are clearly better than the other teams in the division. In the MEC South, I'd say Charleston is clearly better than the other five teams. Wild card in the South I think is UNCP. Also interested in seeing how Glenville does in its second year under Keller.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        MEC North is stacked with NDC, Frostburg and Fairmont! Those three are clearly better than the other teams in the division. In the MEC South, I'd say Charleston is clearly better than the other five teams. Wild card in the South I think is UNCP. Also interested in seeing how Glenville does in its second year under Keller.
        Notre Dame is working in a new Head Coach correct? Did a lot of the staff leave with the head coach as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Notre Dame is working in a new Head Coach correct? Did a lot of the staff leave with the head coach as well?
          Yea new HC, but he has been with the program for a while while technically new, he is not an "outsider." Don't know about his staff.

Comment

Wild card in the South I think is UNCP.
            I believe UNCP will be very strong this year. Their QB is really a big game changer.

Comment

31 games on the schedule for the MEC, the most of any conference playing this spring. I'm excited to see it get going this week. I wish I could have made a little more time for it, but I did take a swing at a preseason article. Its not much, but hopefully offers something to people who aren't very familiar with the MEC.

https://www.d2football.com/mec-sprin...off-this-week/

Comment

MEC North
                1. Notre Dame
                2. Frostburg
                3. Fairmont
                4. West Liberty
                5. Wheeling
                6. AB
                NDC must not mind the travel if those are the 5 "closest" schools

Comment

Here we go again!

NDC has TWO "road trips." 150 miles to Wheeling and 200 miles to Fairmont. They must REALLY be hurting for cash if these trips are putting a strain on them.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 03-12-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Doesn't look as though the MEC Coaches (or the SAC's Blogger Chuck Bitner) gave UNC-P much respect in the preseason poll, so they're earning it on the field. The Braves totally dominated Glenville State 30-7, and called the dogs off early to give their backups a lot of playing time. The Brave's QB is the real deal no doubt.

UNC-P will be hosting WV Wesleyan down at Braves Nation next Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                      Doesn't look as though the MEC Coaches (or the SAC's Blogger Chuck Bitner) gave UNC-P much respect in the preseason poll, so they're earning it on the field. The Braves totally dominated Glenville State 30-7, and called the dogs off early to give their backups a lot of playing time. The Brave's QB is the real deal no doubt.

UNC-P will be hosting WV Wesleyan down at Braves Nation next Saturday.
                      Slow your roll...While I'm not a big believer that the coaches poll is very accurate, I would note that UNCP beat the team that was ranked one spot ahead of them in the poll. Certainly a win is better than a loss but it's not like poor disrespected UNCP beat the top team in the conference!

Comment

I know it's only one game, but If the MEC Coaches seen Glenville State as being a mid-tier team in the South Division, and then to see UNC-P totally dominate them (on their home field) on both offence and defence, I believe at this point the Braves are really looking forward to playing the higher echelon teams in the conference. No predictions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves will be in another position this coming Saturday of calling off the dogs early, and giving their backups plenty of playing time again.

Comment

Oicked #3 vs #4...I think MEC Coaches thought both Glenville and UNCP were "mid tier."

Well, this week they are playing WV Wesleyan sooooo....yea!!
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 03-14-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

A good barometer may be to see if the upcoming Charleston vs Glenville State game this coming Saturday is anywhere close. If it is, the following Saturday could be pretty interesting for Charleston.

Comment

Tremendous game from UNCP. Josh Jones' state line speaks for itself (26-32-350, 4TD, 1INT) and the defense didn't let Glenville do anything all day. Pioneers had only 167 yards of offense. First road win for UNCP since September, 2017. You have to like their chances of starting 2-0 with WVWC coming to town this Saturday.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X