Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post

We have lost very few to bowie that we wanted.

From my understanding of the ACM they're only allowed to get instate tuition if their home state doesn't offer a similar major. Now the two majors could be different enough that they can get away with it but that's above my paygrade.
    I think somebody has to notify the ACM that a school/state offers a degree that is ostensibly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      I was under the impression that schools are playoff eligible in their third year of transition. Could be wrong on that.
      A school in transition is not playoff eligible at any time. Frostburg State is on track to be a full active D2 member and playoff eligible beginning in Fall 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

A school in transition is not playoff eligible at any time. Frostburg State is on track to be a full active D2 member and playoff eligible beginning in Fall 2022.
        Can you provide a link to the NCAA that says that? I couldn't find one and I'd like to save it for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

By what metric are you using that FSU is out recruiting anybody? There is no metric for this, and recruiting is a complete crapshoot. You were stealing D3 recruits from Shepherd previously? Shepherd doesn't recruit D3 athletes.

Bowie has been a top 25 D2 program the last few years and Shepherd has as well. You're not out recruiting anybody yet lol.
          Bowie recruits primarily the close-in suburbs of DC (i.e. PG County and Montgomery County)...Shepherd has primarily recruited the more north and west areas of MD. At the DII level, Bowie and Shepherd were the biggest players in Maryland with Bowie being the only DII program in state. 2+ years ago, that changed with the addition of Frostburg. Bowie and Shepherd have had a long head start on Frostburg recruting DII Maryland talent. The in-state recruting strides Frostburg has made in 2 recruting seasons bring in highly regarded players from NW MD, the DC suburbs and the rest of the state should frighten Shep and Bowie. You can debate right now who is winning the DII recruting battle in MD, but give Frostburg another couple years to build up a record of DII success, get their name out and firm up recruting pipelines and there will be no debate.

Comment

Can you provide a link to the NCAA that says that? I couldn't find one and I'd like to save it for future reference.
            Looking for the actual rule but here are some releases stating the school is not postseason eligible.

Emory & Henry Accepted Into NCAA Division II Provisional Membership
            PROJECTED TIMELINE OF EMORY & HENRY'S REALIGNMENT
            FROM NCAA DIVISION III TO NCAA DIVISION II

November 2020 - Approval from E&H Board of Trustees to pursue membership in NCAA Division II -- COMPLETED
            November 2020 -
            Invitation received from the South Atlantic Conference (SAC) to become a member -- COMPLETED
            January 2021 -
            Submit formal application to the NCAA for realignment to NCAA Division II -- COMPLETED
            July 2021 -
            Decision from the NCAA regarding application for realignment -- COMPLETED
            August 2021 -
            Start of NCAA Division II provisional year one
            August 2022* - Start of NCAA Division II provisional year two (anticipated full SAC schedule)
            August 2023* - Start of NCAA Division II provisional year three
            August 2024* - Full NCAA Division II membership and eligibility for postseason play
            E&H also has a weekly "DTuesday" Twitter video series that informs about the reclassification process.

CSI APPROVED BY NCAA FOR PROVISIONAL YEAR THREE IN DIVISION II
            The program is looking forward to provisional year three in more ways the one. Besides it being the final provisional hurdle before becoming a full-fledged member of NCAA Division II and postseason eligible for ECC and NCAA Championships, it will mark the return of several sports that were shelved in 2020-21, among them the entirety of the fall and winter playing seasons. Year three will see Dolphins' staffers attending the NCAA Convention as well Regional Rules seminars as they normally do, and the NCAA consulting team will once again be visiting the campus to assess CSI's progress during the provisional window.
            Also from College of Staten Island

MOVE II DIVISION II
            INTRODUCTION
            On March 1, 2019, the College of Staten Island announced their intended move to reclassify NCAA Divisions from NCAA Division III to NCAA Division II. Doing so required the College of Staten Island to officially apply to the NCAA. The NCAA, through a consultant site visit and an exhaustive review of CSI's application, rendered a decision on July 12, 2019, accepting the CSI Athletics program as a provisional Division II member.

An effective application requires an invitation from an NCAA Division II conference to compete within it. CSI's invitation came from the East Coast Conference (ECC).

With the approval, the College of Staten Island will begin NCAA Division II status effective immediately, with provisional NCAA Division II play commencing in September, 2019. That would introduce CSI's three-year "provisional" period within the NCAA Division II. These provisional years would be 2019-20, 2020-21, and 2021-22. After each of the provisional years, the NCAA will review the College of Staten Island's progress within the guidelines of provisional status. The ability to support scholarship, install proper internal and external compliance measures, conform to sport sponsorship minimums, and support competitive play are just some of the thresholds needed to meet provisional status requirements. While postseason play within the ECC could be supported during the provisional period, CSI will not be eligible NCAA Postseason Tournament play.

... scrolling down the page ...

FAQ

Q: Why wouldn't CSI be eligible for the NCAA Postseason during the first three years as a Division II member?
            Only full NCAA members can be eligible for NCAA postseason play. After each year of the provisional period, CSI is evaluated by the NCAA to determine if they are meeting the criteria to be a full member. Still, as a transitioning Division III member, we will be working diligently to make sure that we are raising the bar competitively so that we are ready for NCAA Postseason by year four. So, the three-year provisional period is a positive one for the NCAA and CSI. It gives the NCAA time to assess us and gives us time to improve competitively.
            It's 4 years to reclassify to D1 with no postseason eligibility. This from California Baptist.
            CBU Accepted Into NCAA Division I Reclassification
            Part of the reclassification process means CBU will not be eligible for NCAA postseason play during its four-year transition period. The Lancers will not participate for WAC postseason competition in any sport which the winner is the league's automatic qualifier for an NCAA Championship (all sports outside of golf, cross country, track and swimming).

Comment

Here it is.

From the Division II Manual. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90010

Bylaw 20 details Division Membership.

During the 3-year reclassifying/provisional process of becoming a D2 member the school is in a period of restricted membership.

20.1.7.1.2 Voting Privileges and Eligibility for Championships. During the period of restricted membership, an institution shall be (see Bylaw 20.02.5): (Revised: 7/20/10, 7/23/13)

(a) In compliance to the greatest extent possible with that division's scheduling criteria;

(b) Bound by all other applicable rules of the Association;

(c) Permitted to vote only on dominant issues; and (Revised: 1/10/03)

(d) Ineligible for NCAA championships and postseason football contests. (Revised: 1/10/03)
              20.02.5 Provisional Membership. A provisional member institution is a four-year college or university or a two-year upper-level collegiate institution accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency (see Constitution 3.2.1.1.1 for the accreditation standard for an international institution) and that has applied for active membership in the Association. The institution shall be elected to provisional membership under the provisions of this article and Constitution 3.5.3. Provisional membership is a prerequisite for active membership and shall last for a minimum of three years. During year one of the membership process, an institution shall administer its athletics programs in accordance with NCAA legislation regarding fulltime enrollment, good academic standing, sports sponsorship and health and safety. During years two and three of the provisional period, an institution shall administer its athletics programs in accordance with the constitution, bylaws and other legislation of the Association. Provisional members shall receive all publications and mailings received by active members in addition to other privileges designated in the constitution and bylaws of the Association. For specific requirements, see Bylaw 20.2. (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 9/2/94, Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97 for institutions petitioning for provisional membership on or after 8/1/97, 6/1/11, 7/23/13, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14 for institutions making application to enter the membership process 2/1/15 and thereafter, 4/14/15, 5/15/17, 1/20/18)
              20.2 Division II Membership Process.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                Here it is.

From the Division II Manual. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90010

Bylaw 20 details Division Membership.

During the 3-year reclassifying/provisional process of becoming a D2 member the school is in a period of restricted membership.

20.2 Division II Membership Process.
                OK...Thanks!

Comment

Bowie recruits primarily the close-in suburbs of DC (i.e. PG County and Montgomery County)...Shepherd has primarily recruited the more north and west areas of MD. At the DII level, Bowie and Shepherd were the biggest players in Maryland with Bowie being the only DII program in state. 2+ years ago, that changed with the addition of Frostburg. Bowie and Shepherd have had a long head start on Frostburg recruting DII Maryland talent. The in-state recruting strides Frostburg has made in 2 recruting seasons bring in highly regarded players from NW MD, the DC suburbs and the rest of the state should frighten Shep and Bowie. You can debate right now who is winning the DII recruting battle in MD, but give Frostburg another couple years to build up a record of DII success, get their name out and firm up recruting pipelines and there will be no debate.
                  @Boatcap - Ram040506 and I are saying pretty much the same thing as you, we have to give it a little more time before we can see if Frostburg "out-recruiting" Bowie St and/or Shepherd. But right now, that is not quite the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

@Boatcap - Ram040506 and I are saying pretty much the same thing as you, we have to give it a little more time before we can see if Frostburg "out-recruiting" Bowie St and/or Shepherd. But right now, that is not quite the case.
                    I agree in principle, just think its further along than you might think. While it is D3, Frostburg does have NCAA playoff success that they can and do highlight. Couple that with there W/L success in their first two seasons in DII and they can make a pretty strong case that the players that they are recruting now will be part of the DII playoffs starting next year.

Shep and Bowie will continue to get players ftom MD just probably not the same quality they did in the past.

Comment

I agree in principle, just think its further along than you might think. While it is D3, Frostburg does have NCAA playoff success that they can and do highlight. Couple that with there W/L success in their first two seasons in DII and they can make a pretty strong case that the players that they are recruting now will be part of the DII playoffs starting next year.

Shep and Bowie will continue to get players ftom MD just probably not the same quality they did in the past.
                      I am not saying that Frostburg State is still solely recruiting D-III quality players. But at this time, I do not believe many players in MD are choosing Frostburg State over offers from Bowie St and/or Shepherd. Do I believe Frostburg State is now taking recruits that Glenville State, Fairmont State, and Wheeling were offering. But I do agree, things will be different in a couple of years, especially if they have a decent amount of scholarships.

Comment

I think we'll still get our share of quality recruits from central & Southern Maryland, but yes the "pond" now has another hook offering some decent bait !

Comment

Originally posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post

I think we'll still get our share of quality recruits from central & Southern Maryland, but yes the "pond" now has another hook offering some decent bait !
                          I used to run a small scouting service in Southern MD. It was amazing the lack of interest close by DII's had in this area particularly with the number of high quality DII players Shepherd pulled out year after year. I note there are 10 players on Frostburg's roster from southern MD...2018, their last season as a D3, they had four southern MD players. This years Shepherd roster shows five players from southern MD...2018 roster showed nine southern MD players.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 08-11-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X