Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crixus View Post

What was Shepherd's reason for leaving the MEC to join the PSAC? My guess is they did it to save $ on travel since they're close to the Pennsylvania border.

????????????
    They wanted to play Shippensburg every year.

Comment

What was Shepherd's reason for leaving the MEC to join the PSAC? My guess is they did it to save $ on travel since they're close to the Pennsylvania border.

????????????
      There was some savings (not astronomical) on the travel. According to VP of athletics, Shepherd liked the idea of joining a stronger top to bottom conference at the time. PSAC is on some shaky foundation right now with what they are figuring out in the PASSHE landscape so it should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

There was some savings (not astronomical) on the travel. According to VP of athletics, Shepherd liked the idea of joining a stronger top to bottom conference at the time. PSAC is on some shaky foundation right now with what they are figuring out in the PASSHE landscape so it should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
        Shaky ground to say the least, but if the four most likely to fail, Clarion, Edinboro, Lock Haven and Mansfield were to ultimately be eliminated, and none of the privates leave, you still have 13 team league. Not as comfortable as now but certainly viable versus say the GLIAC which when Northwood leaves will be down to 7 or the NE10 when UNH leaves will be down to 8. If any/all of the privates get poached, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Shaky ground to say the least, but if the four most likely to fail, Clarion, Edinboro, Lock Haven and Mansfield were to ultimately be eliminated, and none of the privates leave, you still have 13 team league. Not as comfortable as now but certainly viable versus say the GLIAC which when Northwood leaves will be down to 7 or the NE10 when UNH leaves will be down to 8. If any/all of the privates get poached, all bets are off.
          That Gannon / Mercyhurst talk has been on this board for years. They both really wanted to join the PSAC after years of never-ending (expensive) bus rides.

Seton Hill ... I still think their fate is to go D3 and join the Presidents' Athletic Conference. They are a geographic fit as well as a similar type of school. They don't fit in well in the PSAC.

Comment

Can you imagine being a Gannon or Mercyhurst soccer coach recruiting your daughter with the excitement of playing Hillsdale (Grove City but crazier) and Lake Superior State? I think they realized that little Kaitlyn likes the idea of playing schools her classmates attend and a lot closer to home so mom & dad can attend more games. Everyone saves on travel costs.

I think Shepherd wanted a stronger conference from top to bottom. That's no offense to anyone in the MEC - the conference's problem is that Shepherd is basically the lone constant. Everyone else varies greatly from year to year.

Comment

Week Two: West Liberty 24 Alderson Broaddus 0. The MEC opener for both teams and a very bad day for the Battlers.
              Last edited by crixus; 09-11-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It is horrible to watch. We have to be the worst D2 team right now. I can't imagine any one being any worse.

1-15 the past three seasons and it looks like it will only get worse. 8 years ago we removed a good man, a good AD and a good alumni from his title of athletic director. Nine Inch Nails had it since that point.....The Downward Spiral. Let's ask an honest question: what do we see that brings optimism? Our athletic teams just roll out the same stuff, year in and year out. We need to do something different athletically. This isn't working. JD Long hired innovators.....a women's soccer coach that took us to the NCAA tournament, a baseball coach that competed for championships, a basketball coach that consistently won 20+ games a year and got us to multiple NCAAs. He did all of this under a president who didn't like athletics and he did it when the school was struggling (just as it is today). And he was a coach that competed for championships in volleyball and softball.

People wonder why alumni aren't contributing like they use to. (1) You can't treat alumni that were successful like dog crap.....fire them so that the President can hire his brother for all kinds of multiple positions. (2) You have to win at something; not lose in every thing. But hey, we go 1-23 in softball last year.....let's go out for ice cream.

I just think most alumni are now numb.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                  It is horrible to watch. We have to be the worst D2 team right now. I can't imagine any one being any worse.

1-15 the past three seasons and it looks like it will only get worse. 8 years ago we removed a good man, a good AD and a good alumni from his title of athletic director. Nine Inch Nails had it since that point.....The Downward Spiral. Let's ask an honest question: what do we see that brings optimism? Our athletic teams just roll out the same stuff, year in and year out. We need to do something different athletically. This isn't working. JD Long hired innovators.....a women's soccer coach that took us to the NCAA tournament, a baseball coach that competed for championships, a basketball coach that consistently won 20+ games a year and got us to multiple NCAAs. He did all of this under a president who didn't like athletics and he did it when the school was struggling (just as it is today). And he was a coach that competed for championships in volleyball and softball.

People wonder why alumni aren't contributing like they use to. (1) You can't treat alumni that were successful like dog crap.....fire them so that the President can hire his brother for all kinds of multiple positions. (2) You have to win at something; not lose in every thing. But hey, we go 1-23 in softball last year.....let's go out for ice cream.

When the players begin getting participation trophies, you know you're in deep $##& !!

Comment

I wonder how long it will be before AB drops to D3 and forms an in state rivalry with Bethany? ;)

Comment

Comment

I wonder how long it will be before AB drops to D3 and forms an in state rivalry with Bethany? ;)
                        I'm sure the AB alumni are chomping at the bit to re-form their "rivalry" they had back in the WVIAC NAIA days vs Bethany (1924-32)!! Heck, former "rivals" Salem could join as could WV Tech, Ohio Valley and Potomac State and you could even call it the WVIAC!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'm sure the AB alumni are chomping at the bit to re-form their "rivalry" they had back in the WVIAC NAIA days vs Bethany (1924-32)!! Heck, former "rivals" Salem could join as could WV Tech, Ohio Valley and Potomac State and you could even call it the WVIAC!
                          But Salem, WV Tech, Ohio Valley and Potomac State don't have football teams. And then again, neither does AB. :D Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Comment

But Salem, WV Tech, Ohio Valley and Potomac State don't have football teams. And then again, neither does AB. :D Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
                            Ba-dump Tss! And make sure you tip your waitresses!!

Football was never a priority for a few of the old WVIAC teams...I would imagine that it wouldn't be a priority in this notional D3 WVIAC either.

Seriously though, this was a swipe at the NDC supporters who say that NDC should move to the GMAC because they have all these "rivals" that they used to play back in their NAIA days.

Comment

Baseball had a nice run in the MEC tourney last year which included nice wins over UC and WV State....they finished the season with a record of 19-20. They started 2020 with a record of 1-12 before COVID hit. In 2019, they were 21-29 and in 2018, they were 11-32.

My analogy to a 90s band and their album was just what it was.

The brothers who took JD's job were the Creehan brothers. The President defaulted in 2015 on a pretty large bond with a bank downtown. He failed to give any type of communication to the bank. It was a bad headline for our school after he had been on the job for two years. It also put us on probation for four years which was a big setback. I give credit to the current president for righting the ship financially and getting us off probation in 2019. Rick Creehan fired JD and placed his brother as athletic director which was a huge mistake. It was also a clear case of NEPOTISM. Denny was a good football coach but a downright awful AD. Over his head in that position, too much mouth and his vote (who his brother went along with) concerning the UVA-Wise admittance to the WVIAC was a biggest blunder and idiotic move that I have ever seen. That move alone set us back to the position we are in now.

I have to ask "remember the run of the brothers" is that to mean a successful run?!?! I hope you aren't implying that. Denny did some good stuff for football, but his mark at the school was horrible in the long run as far as his decision-making as the athletic department went. Defaulting on a $500,000 bond.....NOT a good run.

For so many years I heard that we weren't competitive as an athletic department was because we were spending so much money on travel for our teams that it was taking away from schollies. Okay. But now we are in a conference where 5/6 of our travel trips are 2.5 hours or less. A lot less hotel stays and overnight eating and what not. But my beef is that some of these teams over a 2-year span should have seen a little jolt in production. Women's volleyball won three games last year....thank goodness for Frostburg State for two of those wins. Softball won one game. I don't expect every team to be 20 game winners. But somewhere there needs to be production. My only thing is that under JD Long we had teams that could compete and not get white-washed in quite a few sports. I will remind people that the G-MAC administrators named JD Long Faculty Member of the Year in the G-MAC a few years ago. Hmmmm.....I wonder what people at Hillsdale, Findlay, Kentucky Wesleyan, Walsh saw.
                              Last edited by JDonAB92; 09-12-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Running from problems is never the right direction. Ask WV Tech.

Schools in similar situations to us like Wheeling, Glenville and WV State find ways to get some championship caliber athletic programs. We need to rectify some things....make some sensible decisions....and yes, make some changes when you have 8 losing seasons in one particular sport. I am not saying we are world-beaters, but we sure as hell can be better than what we have been showing for the past six school years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X