Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

Running from problems is never the right direction. Ask WV Tech.

Schools in similar situations to us like Wheeling, Glenville and WV State find ways to get some championship caliber athletic programs. We need to rectify some things....make some sensible decisions....and yes, make some changes when you have 8 losing seasons in one particular sport. I am not saying we are world-beaters, but we sure as hell can be better than what we have been showing for the past six school years.
    I was only kidding, hence the ;) Having a sense of humor helps during these tough times.

Yes, I've seen other programs turned around before at all levels. So there's always hope.
    Last edited by crixus; 09-12-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Running from problems is never the right direction. Ask WV Tech.

Schools in similar situations to us like Wheeling, Glenville and WV State find ways to get some championship caliber athletic programs. We need to rectify some things....make some sensible decisions....and yes, make some changes when you have 8 losing seasons in one particular sport. I am not saying we are world-beaters, but we sure as hell can be better than what we have been showing for the past six school years.
      I've always felt that not all coaches are created equally and it is critically important to have a coach who's atributes meet the current situation a program is in. Is your program limited on the number of scholly's you have? You need a coach who's skill set favors identifying marginal players and coaching them to become more than they were when they came. Your program fully funded? Need a coach who can identify high calibre players and close the deal to get them. Need a "quick fix"? Get a coach that excells in identifying transfer and JUCO tallent and convincing those players to come in. Got a fat cat donor? Need a coach that can identify facility and programatic needs and expend the funds in a way that improves the competativness of the program. No fat cat donor? Need a coach who is an expert fund raiser. VERY hard to find a HC at the DII level that does everything well

By all accounts, AB has nice facilities so there isn't really a need to commit huge funds there (at least not now). Don't know if they have a deep pocket athletic donor or how their scholly situation is. But assuming scholly's are in the 12-15 range, you probably need a coach who's skills focus on player development and working the donor base.

Comment

@ Wheeling 28 Alderson Broaddus 6

The Battlers are now 0-3 overall, 0-2 MEC. Next game: Sat. 09/25 vs Charleston in Philippi.
        ??????
        Last edited by crixus; 09-18-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I thought defense performed halfway decent. One of Wheeling's TD was a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Defense started to wear down towards the end of the 3rd quarter after being out on the field too much. The defense also forced and recovered a fumble in Wheeling territory in the second quarter that put us in a position to score. Of course, we threw an INT again in the red zone on a pass that clearly should not have been thrown.

WV Wesleyan played Concord tough on the road. It looks like 0-11 this year.

This week 50 yards rushing on 38 attempts. Last week 53 yards rushing on 38 attempts. First week 21 yards rushing on 21 attempts. That is as close to pitiful as it gets. 1 yard per carry tells me that the offensive line is bad.

Comment

JDon, now you know how we have felt on the hilltop the last 5 or 6 years!

Comment

I thought defense performed halfway decent. One of Wheeling's TD was a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Defense started to wear down towards the end of the 3rd quarter after being out on the field too much. The defense also forced and recovered a fumble in Wheeling territory in the second quarter that put us in a position to score. Of course, we threw an INT again in the red zone on a pass that clearly should not have been thrown.

WV Wesleyan played Concord tough on the road. It looks like 0-11 this year.

This week 50 yards rushing on 38 attempts. Last week 53 yards rushing on 38 attempts. First week 21 yards rushing on 21 attempts. That is as close to pitiful as it gets. 1 yard per carry tells me that the offensive line is bad.
              0-11 you say, so you've already given up on this season. Well, I predicted that AB will win at least one before the season started and I'm sticking to it. Go Battlers!
              Last edited by crixus; 09-19-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                JDon, now you know how we have felt on the hilltop the last 10 years!
                I fixed your post for you!!!

Comment

Thanks Boat. Guess it has been that long. I can remember when Saturday came around and I thought we had a reasonable chance for a win. 50/50 this weekend then lose the rest of the games this year.

Comment

A complete embarrassment: University of Charleston 69 Alderson Broaddus 7

Awful effort. I am not saying we should of won today, but in 2016, our 4th year of football, we beat UC at home. This is beyond pitiful. What's next? We beg for a running clock?

Comment

AB went on the road to take on a 1-3 WV State team at Laidley Field in Charleston in front of a crowd where I have seen more people at a picnic. We made State's offense look like Kyler Murray & DeAndre Hopkins last night as the Yellow Jackets played pitch & catch all night. WV State wins 45-13 in what one would of thought could have been a more competitive game. We did at least score a meaningful first half touchdown.

Comment

I feel for you JDon. If you stay afloat things will get better. You are in much better shape than Salem!

Comment

I stay on the ship so to speak. I definitely give this new coach a chance. But we haven't come close to getting a victory with him as the head man. He is 0-10 in two seasons and haven't been close once to beating someone.

If we are getting blown out in 4 of the next 5 games (Fairmont, Wesleyan, Concord and Glenville), then I think there is a serious issue.

Comment

Just wanted to give the Battlers sprint football team a plug.

https://gobattlers.com/sports/sprint-football

Comment

Alderson Broaddus lost to Glenville State (35-21) yesterday. But 21 points is a season high for the Battlers. Progressing slowly, but progressing.

I'm hoping they get that elusive victory @ West Virginia Wesleyan this coming Saturday.

Go Battlers!
                              Last edited by crixus; 10-17-2021, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Alderson Broaddus and West Virginia Wesleyan are all tied up at half time, 14-14. One of these teams will earn their first victory of the season today. :)

Go Battlers!
                                Last edited by crixus; 10-23-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X