Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If they lose at Clarion they should make the staff take Ubers home. The Golden Eagles have lost 16 straight games and saw the vast majority of their top players leave via the portal after last year's coaching (firing) change. Clarion may be the youngest team in the country.

I just can't see Clarion winning this game with so many true freshmen. With AB and WVW, they should be able to get to at least 3 wins, right?
    I would agree with you about Clarion but WLU does have a history of almost losing to young teams. 2019 WLU almost lost to first varsity year Wheeling 33-30...needed a last minute TD to make it happen. Losing to Clarion is not out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      If they are abysmal this year, perhaps the patrons of wlu football will consider bringing in Kevin Kelley as a consultant to implement his offense that does not punt.
      With 0 scholarships, Presbyterian racked up huge numbers on offense, but had no defense and no depth.

Win or lose, at least it would be exciting football. It would attract recruits to the style, similar to the basketball team. Hopefully, it would generate publicity and possibly increase enrollment, which is imperative these days.

Comment

Gadget offenses can be effective. Not because the team is better, but because the other team only faces them once a year and has to basically prepare a whole new defense for that one week. UC used to do somthing like that with Tony DeMeo's "triple gun" offense. You could probably get the same effect by running a veer offense today.

Comment

The no punt style is based on analysis of thousands of college and NFL games.
          Pulaski Academy of Little Rock should be a 3a school. They won 7 out of last 8 state championships at 5a level. They move up to 6a this year. They scrimmage 7a power Bryant every year for charity. Bryant has won last four 7a titles in Arkansas. Pulaski lost 42-38 this year.

Principles
          - never punt
          - never rush the punter
          - never field a punt
          - on side kick
          - defenders taught to tackle at the ankles and do an alligator death roll. Effective against powerful backs.
          - ball carriers taught to run out of bounds rather than attacking tackler to reduce risk of injury.

But all this stuff has limited value if you do not have creative minds leading offense and defense. Since they don't have to practice special teams, there is more time to teach more sophisticated route running and deceptive plays. And kids and boosters have to buy in.

Fun game to watch. YouTube palive (not palive! Which is a Pennsylvania state website) to watch Pulaski academy games. They are going to play one of top teams in Miss in madison - ridgeland Academy 9 /2 at 7 pm central time.

They won their 1st game against a huge, physical team in Robinson 55-29.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Gadget offenses can be effective. Not because the team is better, but because the other team only faces them once a year and has to basically prepare a whole new defense for that one week. UC used to do somthing like that with Tony DeMeo's "triple gun" offense. You could probably get the same effect by running a veer offense today.
            I feel like the veer or triple option could do wonders when you can't assemble a strong passing game or develop a capable offensive line.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I feel like the veer or triple option could do wonders when you can't assemble a strong passing game or develop a capable offensive line.
              Yep. Playing a unique offensive style, including the veer, once a year makes it very difficult to defend. It also is a great offense for teams that are "challenged" on the OL. Put you smartest/best athlete at QB, your two quickest players at RB and have your OL get some BIG line splits and start running the same play over and over and over again! The goal is to get 3.5 yard per play...EVERY play. It ain't pretty or innovative (the two things that seem to be the most important thing in football now days) but it is effective and you can win football games with it (this seems to be a secondary goal among some fans now days).

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                The no punt style is based on analysis of thousands of college and NFL games.
                Pulaski Academy of Little Rock should be a 3a school. They won 7 out of last 8 state championships at 5a level. They move up to 6a this year. They scrimmage 7a power Bryant every year for charity. Bryant has won last four 7a titles in Arkansas. Pulaski lost 42-38 this year.

Principles
                - never punt
                - never rush the punter
                - never field a punt
                - on side kick
                - defenders taught to tackle at the ankles and do an alligator death roll. Effective against powerful backs.
                - ball carriers taught to run out of bounds rather than attacking tackler to reduce risk of injury.

But all this stuff has limited value if you do not have creative minds leading offense and defense. Since they don't have to practice special teams, there is more time to teach more sophisticated route running and deceptive plays. And kids and boosters have to buy in.

Fun game to watch. YouTube palive (not palive! Which is a Pennsylvania state website) to watch Pulaski academy games. They are going to play one of top teams in Miss in madison - ridgeland Academy 9 /2 at 7 pm central time.

They won their 1st game against a huge, physical team in Robinson 55-29.
                I would say that they still have to practice specials if only the on-side kick coverage team! Also, if they never rush the punter, a counter would be to have the QB line-up in punt formation, have the OL pass block (which shouldn't be too difficult as the DL isn't rushing to begin with), have the eligible receivers run routes and have the Punter/QB sit back there and make his reads like a 7-on-7 drill. No open receiver after his read progression...punt it with no pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yep. Playing a unique offensive style, including the veer, once a year makes it very difficult to defend. It also is a great offense for teams that are "challenged" on the OL. Put you smartest/best athlete at QB, your two quickest players at RB and have your OL get some BIG line splits and start running the same play over and over and over again! The goal is to get 3.5 yard per play...EVERY play. It ain't pretty or innovative (the two things that seem to be the most important thing in football now days) but it is effective and you can win football games with it (this seems to be a secondary goal among some fans now days).
                  General McLane, the high school in Edinboro, PA won a state championship running the triple option. Tons of undersized athletic kids who grew up playing together. I don't think I ever saw them develop a traditional QB.

Comment

3 win team

Comment

Can someone please explain the relationship between Waialea and West? I am an alum but won't give them a cent as long as Waialea is coach. My issue with Waialea is personal regarding how they treated my son in the recruiting process, but I just don't understand how/why this guy is still in charge when he's had 2 winning seasons in last 10 years and his career record is below .500.

Comment

Lurker, we've been trying to figure this out for years!

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
                          Can someone please explain the relationship between Waialea and West? I am an alum but won't give them a cent as long as Waialea is coach. My issue with Waialea is personal regarding how they treated my son in the recruiting process, but I just don't understand how/why this guy is still in charge when he's had 2 winning seasons in last 10 years and his career record is below .500.
                          The relationship I can't seem to figure out. But Waialea is often credited for the major donations from West and several others supporting WLU football. I recall reading somewhere that the university credits Waialea with bringing in over $10 million.

Comment

Wish this was a D1 school where fans can have a bigger influence. Just disgusting what they’ve done to our program

Comment

Lurker...Your guess on the RW/West "relationship" is as good as any we've come up with here. But it is clear it is a real thing and it certainly doesn't include WINNING!!

You're not the first to talk about WLU treatment of potential recruits. Clearly they don't do recruting well...either in evaluating quality OR enticing quality players to come to WLU. Record does not lie about how they do football across the board (recruting, player development, game planning and in-game adjustments).

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                                3 win team
                                Unfortunately, I think you may be right.
                                As you know I think the no punt style is based on sound data analytics.
                                IMHO WLU should really consider this style and grab Kevin Kelley as a consultant, offensive coordinator, or head coach if the current coach retires.

off-topic FYI

I wondered why Coach Kevin Kelley of Pulaski Academy was not successful at D1 Presbyterian despite putting up huge offense and passing numbers. He quit after one year.
                                The lack of success was not an indictment of the style, but the fact that he did not know to ask the right questions before taking the job.
                                That school must be using football to keep their enrollment numbers up. Absolutely no commitment to football there.

Here is the rest of the story.
                                https://theathletic.com/3183743/2022...er-one-season/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X