Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVWC

So I accompanied my son on a junior day recruiting trip and I must say I was highly impressed with the staff. Pretty upfront, honest about the history of the program as well as their direction going forward. Facility wise things were pretty much what I expected as I'm a PSAC alumni and traveled when my siblings played at Shippensburg so I've seen some decent stadiums (Shepherd, Kutztown, Millersville) while some shabby ones too (Cheyney, Mansfield) lol. I'm curious to see how they progress this upcoming season and the town itself wasn't as bad as I expected. We were greeted with some interesting signs as we approached campus but the vibes on campus were all welcoming from staff, to the students to the coaches.

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
    So I accompanied my son on a junior day recruiting trip and I must say I was highly impressed with the staff. Pretty upfront, honest about the history of the program as well as their direction going forward. Facility wise things were pretty much what I expected as I'm a PSAC alumni and traveled when my siblings played at Shippensburg so I've seen some decent stadiums (Shepherd, Kutztown, Millersville) while some shabby ones too (Cheyney, Mansfield) lol. I'm curious to see how they progress this upcoming season and the town itself wasn't as bad as I expected. We were greeted with some interesting signs as we approached campus but the vibes on campus were all welcoming from staff, to the students to the coaches.
    Unless there's a particular academic draw to WVWC, I can't see any reason to take his FB talent to Buckhannon short of a full ride. Their last winning season was '11 at 9-2. Since then the average is 3-8 topped of by 0-11 in '22. If his aim is participation, the BOBCATS will certainly offer that. Good luck with his initial adult decision.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Unless there's a particular academic draw to WVWC, I can't see any reason to take his FB talent to Buckhannon short of a full ride. Their last winning season was '11 at 9-2. Since then the average is 3-8 topped of by 0-11 in '22. If his aim is participation, the BOBCATS will certainly offer that. Good luck with his initial adult decision.
      Not to mention its a private school and I think Tuition is very expensive. Think last figure I saw was 32-33k in 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Not to mention its a private school and I think Tuition is very expensive. Think last figure I saw was 32-33k in 2019?
        Hahahahaha well that 32-33k will now cost you $43K lol. They offer 17k for those with high academics off to the top athletes and non athletes. Even still it's 26k left to finance. We have 6 other schools left to visit who have expressed various interest I told him don't let the first visit have you in such awwee you neglect the other schools who have shown interest. They were upfront with that they're at about 2 years away from being competitive as they played 35 true freshman last year and they're working on building depth while retaining talent especially with the portal being an option. So far looks like the new staff had a good impression on the 20/21 class as most are returning this upcoming season. There's a few PSAC schools, CAA, Del State and Norfolk State left to visit before senior year starts. By far they're the most expensive out the list thus far so they'd definitely have to offer all tuition/board for them to win out lol. It's cheaper to walk on to Temple/Penn State/Delaware and live on campus than pay that $26k out of pocket lol.

Comment

There are pro's and con's for every school and every program and every player has his own things that he wants/finds enticing. For most DII players, football is just the means to an end. Sure, they want to do well and everyone wants to play on a winner, but at the end of their 4 years, it is about the education they have gotten.

Comment

Hahahahaha well that 32-33k will now cost you $43K lol. They offer 17k for those with high academics off to the top athletes and non athletes. Even still it's 26k left to finance. We have 6 other schools left to visit who have expressed various interest I told him don't let the first visit have you in such awwee you neglect the other schools who have shown interest. They were upfront with that they're at about 2 years away from being competitive as they played 35 true freshman last year and they're working on building depth while retaining talent especially with the portal being an option. So far looks like the new staff had a good impression on the 20/21 class as most are returning this upcoming season. There's a few PSAC schools, CAA, Del State and Norfolk State left to visit before senior year starts. By far they're the most expensive out the list thus far so they'd definitely have to offer all tuition/board for them to win out lol. It's cheaper to walk on to Temple/Penn State/Delaware and live on campus than pay that $26k out of pocket lol.
            It was 2011. Shepherd was at WVWC in OT. I was slapping the visiting bleachers when a gigantic splinter broke off into my palm. I spent the rest of the game fishing it out with a pocket knife. That has nothing to do with your son's decision, but I have held that against WVWC ever since.

Comment

If he is a D1 walk-on level player, I'd probably steer clear of a D1. He will probably be little more than a mobile blocking dummy/scout teamer for most if not all of his 4-5 years. While there are examples of walk-on successes who earn a scolly and end-up as all conf performers, FAR more walk-ons that flame out after a year/two of getting stomped on in practice by the scolly players and call it quits from a football perspective. Still, they can say forever that they "played D1" even if that play was just on the practice field...for some, that is enough.

Comment

shipfbfan1 The AB Battlers only win last season was against WV Wesleyan who didn't win any games. My Uncle used to own a business in Buckhannon. It's a nice town. Best wishes to you and your son.
                Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If he is a D1 walk-on level player, I'd probably steer clear of a D1. He will probably be little more than a mobile blocking dummy/scout teamer for most if not all of his 4-5 years. While there are examples of walk-on successes who earn a scolly and end-up as all conf performers, FAR more walk-ons that flame out after a year/two of getting stomped on in practice by the scolly players and call it quits from a football perspective. Still, they can say forever that they "played D1" even if that play was just on the practice field...for some, that is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
                    shipfbfan1 The AB Battlers only win last season was against WV Wesleyan who didn't win any games. My Uncle used to own a business in Buckhannon. It's a nice town. Best wishes to you and your son.

Comment

If he's thinking of a school that's been down but is "due" to rise, I think either BORO or BLOOM may fit that bill in the next 5 years. Remember the SCOTS did get an impressive upset this past season !!

Comment

Yea...Losing can suck the joy out of the game. But on the other side of the coin, if you are able to help the program go from a perenial looser to a winner, that makes for some pretty good memories. Speaking of Frostburg, if your son is a DII quality player, they probably would be interested in hearing from him! It's hard sometimes for DII's to evaluate and contact every player that they might have interest in.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yea...Losing can suck the joy out of the game. But on the other side of the coin, if you are able to help the program go from a perenial looser to a winner, that makes for some pretty good memories. Speaking of Frostburg, if your son is a DII quality player, they probably would be interested in hearing from him! It's hard sometimes for DII's to evaluate and contact every player that they might have interest in.
                          We actually talked about Frostburg State as we rode past it on the way to WVWC. We are now in the process of sending transcripts & tape to them now. I showed him FSU's facilities online and was highly impressed as he was by the MIAA schools lol. Our biggest thing is go to school for free no student loans if possible, play 4-5 years and enjoy the game before the real world has its hold on you and you're out here working 8-5 and paying bills lol. I'd like to see more D2 regional camps or at least conference camps for recruits. Even if they charged $100 rather than the standard $40-$50 it would help get more kids on the radar prior to their senior season. In the MEC with AB, WVWC, Wheeling and Frostburg all being within a 2 hour ride they could host 1 camp.

Comment

We actually talked about Frostburg State as we rode past it on the way to WVWC. We are now in the process of sending transcripts & tape to them now. I showed him FSU's facilities online and was highly impressed as he was by the MIAA schools lol. Our biggest thing is go to school for free no student loans if possible, play 4-5 years and enjoy the game before the real world has its hold on you and you're out here working 8-5 and paying bills lol. I'd like to see more D2 regional camps or at least conference camps for recruits. Even if they charged $100 rather than the standard $40-$50 it would help get more kids on the radar prior to their senior season. In the MEC with AB, WVWC, Wheeling and Frostburg all being within a 2 hour ride they could host 1 camp.
                            Send him to Shep pops! Did he go to Shepherd's jr day a couple weeks back?

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Send him to Shep pops! Did he go to Shepherd's jr day a couple weeks back?
                              No he was late registering so he couldn't make it but I being a Ship alumni know how great of a program and campus Shepherd is so that's one of the PSAC schools we plan to camp at this spring/summer and hopefully visit in the fall for games. They also are one of the few schools who utilize TE's greatly in the blocking and receiving game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X