Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem University Discussion

Hello all,

I am hoping that you all could help me with something. I am looking for some local input on Salem University, former WVIAC member and current DII Independent. I am curious what the local reputation for the school is around WV. I know they have some notable alumni from the 70s and 80s (Rich Rodriguez, Terry Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, etc.), but they seem to have fallen apart in the last few years.

I am really curious what others have heard about the school, its stability, its seemingly constant changes in ownership, and how it interacts with the local communities. Can anyone help me out?

Have you been to Salem to check out the town and school? That should be enough to make up your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
      Have you been to Salem to check out the town and school? That should be enough to make up your mind.
      Well was hoping to get the localish WV scoop from someone with a little more local perspective than what I can see from goggle searches

Comment

Uindy18 I've driven through Salem, but didn't stop there. It looked like a typical small town in West Virginia to me, which I like. Best wishes in your pursuits.

Last edited by crixus; 07-16-2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
          Hello all,

I am hoping that you all could help me with something. I am looking for some local input on Salem University, former WVIAC member and current DII Independent. I am curious what the local reputation for the school is around WV. I know they have some notable alumni from the 70s and 80s (Rich Rodriguez, Terry Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, etc.), but they seem to have fallen apart in the last few years.

I am really curious what others have heard about the school, its stability, its seemingly constant changes in ownership, and how it interacts with the local communities. Can anyone help me out?
          All I can say is that there's probably a good reason the GMAC essentially let Salem leave the conference. I'm surprised they're still a D2 program, all things considered.

They did play a mostly D2 men's basketball schedule, despite their independent status, including several MEC schools, but they're pretty much an afterthought.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

All I can say is that there's probably a good reason the GMAC essentially let Salem leave the conference. I'm surprised they're still a D2 program, all things considered.

They did play a mostly D2 men's basketball schedule, despite their independent status, including several MEC schools, but they're pretty much an afterthought.
            Fair point, it seems like they are really in an odd spot. Remind me a lot of Ohio Valley and Urbana, which certainly doesn't seem like a good sign. They had a great football program in the 70s and 80s with some big time alumni/former coaches (multiple NFL players, Jimbo Fisher, Terry Bowden, and Rich Rodriguez). I would love to seem them rebuild the program (along with the rest of the school) and return to the new WVIAC, aka the Mountain East Conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X