Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIU to become one program

I read that LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post will be combing all programs into D1.

http://athletics.liu.edu/faqs/

Re: LIU to become one program

Originally posted by laker View Post
    I read that LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post will be combing all programs into D1.

http://athletics.liu.edu/faqs/
    wow... is this the 2nd NE10 team to be leaving this year? Think i read somewhere that Merrimack was out as well? Is the NE10 going to have enough conference members to continue?

Comment

Just seeing this, not sure what I think - since Post is a D2 program, would their athletes suffer from the transition since they will be merged with a D1 school in Brooklyn? Maybe the NEC is a soft landing for the Post athletes since some of the NEC's football programs aren't really better than D2 programs (then again, some of Post's players got interest from D1 schools). New Haven played Bryant (picked third in the NEC) this year and hung with them for a good chunk of the game, but too many turnovers sunk them.

Curious if this might help Pace at all, since they may be able to grab D2 players from Long Island without worrying about Post? Or would Post have an easier time recruiting the same players since the unified LIU would be D1?

If/when this happens, it's a big loss for NE10 football. The conference is already changing with Merrimack on the way out and Franklin Pierce coming in. Assumption (I think) graduates most of their golden generation after this year and will need to retool with a new coach. Does this cause other NE10 schools to think about moving up to D1? New Haven did explore D1 membership a while back when they were having trouble as an independent.

Hope Collins gets a pay raise indicative of a D1 football coach!

Comment

You are right - Merrimack has been accepted by the NEC and will transition to D1.

Comment

Looks like this is supposed to start in 2019-20.

Comment

I gotta say this comes as a complete surprise. I'm in the middle of my workday, so I don't have time to digest all of this. Will have more to say later.

Comment

Im shocked. What will happen with scheduling next year? To have a full 10 game schedule teams will now have to schedule 2 OOC games. Going to miss the AIC/Post rivalry.

Comment

This has some potential to be great, seems like Post losses recruits to near by NEC schools. Although competing to be one of the top teams in D2 was a great experience.

Comment

So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                    So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?
                    It probably would be. Looks like the plans are to build a new athletic complex with a football field. Not sure how much of the Post facilities will carry over to the new university.

Comment

From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
                        Im shocked. What will happen with scheduling next year? To have a full 10 game schedule teams will now have to schedule 2 OOC games. Going to miss the AIC/Post rivalry.

Comment

When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Champ View Post
                            From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.
                            https://www.northeastconference.org/...i-program.aspx
                            Last edited by NE10Fan; 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                              When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.
                              From looking at their old football schedules, looks like they made the switch to D3 around 1995.

Interesting fact - From 1982-93 they played a home-and-home series with AIC each year.
                              Last edited by cwfenn; 10-04-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X