Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haven Football.

There are discussions that teams from the conference are moving up to D1, so New Haven should think about their future in the NE10? Personally, I think UNH should join the PSAC or move up to D1. The NE10 is a mess right now and they should seriously consider other options for their sports. I know they have tried this before but that was when NE10 was one of the options. New Haven should have enough fan base and the money to upgrade their facilities to accommodate the move. What do you think?

Re: New Haven Football.

Dont do it. Move to the PSAC if nothing else. But whew, those road trips!

Comment

Originally posted by NewHaven Alum View Post
      There are discussions that teams from the conference are moving up to D1, so New Haven should think about their future in the NE10? Personally, I think UNH should join the PSAC or move up to D1. The NE10 is a mess right now and they should seriously consider other options for their sports. I know they have tried this before but that was when NE10 was one of the options. New Haven should have enough fan base and the money to upgrade their facilities to accommodate the move. What do you think?

Comment

The PSAC -- currently anyway -- won't be an option. Shepherd is joining next year (replacing Cheyney). They can't just add one football school -- they'd then have to add one for the West as well.

It's already too damn big and none of these schools are going to want to drive up there all the time.

Comment

I think its premature to start considering that the NE-10 would dissolve itself. You still have 8 schools including UNH and Franklin Pierce is moving up. Thank goodness that St Anselm opted to stay in D-II.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
            I think its premature to start considering that the NE-10 would dissolve itself. You still have 8 schools including UNH and Franklin Pierce is moving up. Thank goodness that St Anselm opted to stay in D-II.
            I don't think the NE10 is going anywhere, but I think it's clear that football doesn't influence the conference like in other places. Many of the NE10's the non-football schools have been quite good in other sports.

For the past few years the football conference has for the most part had Post and Assumption at the top with a group of teams in the middle. New Haven is doing well this season (and has been OK in recent years), but hasn't been the team they were under Rossomando. The PSAC is positioning itself to be a beast in the region, and the NE10 is losing one middle team and one top team while gaining an unknown.

Comment

Football is way down on the list of sports for the NE-10. They are national powers in most other sports and won plenty of national championships. They always win their region in basketball or soccer or baseball and move into the national spotlight.

Football is not a huge sport for colleges in New England. It is done to attract students to the school but you are lucky to have 1-2K people at a game. You get very little to no coverage from the media.

Boston is a pro sports town. The Bruins, Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox will always be the top teams in the area and colleges will always lag behind. It has been that way for a long time and the main reason is the amount of schools in the area.

You easily have 100-150 colleges in Massachusetts and it is very easy to forget about most of them for sports. People follow their school but it is much different than most parts of the country.

The NE-10 will sponsor football as long as it has schools willing to play the sport. But half of the schools in the league don't sponsor football as it is too expensive. And the schools like Bryant, Merrimack and Post that sponsor football were looking for bigger things for their entire athletic dept, not just football.

It is different in New Haven as you have three schools that play football with Yale, UNH and SCSU and they have loyal fan bases. Plus you have Quinnipiac down the street and Albertus Magnus in New Haven.

Boston is not a college sports town. It is a college town for academics with Harvard and MIT and many others.

Comment

I think its premature to start considering that the NE-10 would dissolve itself. You still have 8 schools including UNH and Franklin Pierce is moving up. Thank goodness that St Anselm opted to stay in D-II
                Even if Franklin Fierce joining football, there will be only nine teams in the conference, each team will still need 2 out of conference opponents to make a 10 game season. It might not be right away but geographically, the PSAC or even the MEC make a lot of sense. New Haven used to traveled much further than all teams from Super Region 1 to play football anyway. I don't think NE10 is a good fit for a team like New Haven for a long term, so I don't think other options are bad ideas. As far as moving up to D1, it would be the last resort to do IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                  I don't think the NE10 is going anywhere, but I think it's clear that football doesn't influence the conference like in other places. Many of the NE10's the non-football schools have been quite good in other sports.

For the past few years the football conference has for the most part had Post and Assumption at the top with a group of teams in the middle. New Haven is doing well this season (and has been OK in recent years), but hasn't been the team they were under Rossomando. The PSAC is positioning itself to be a beast in the region, and the NE10 is losing one middle team and one top team while gaining an unknown.
                  Agree here. Saint Anselm might not even be in this conference long also.

Comment

I don't think the NE10 is going anywhere either, but I think everyone would agree that it's not a conference for football.

Comment

As an outlier in the PSAC, the Chargers won't get a break from the officials...believe me--been there, seen that--too many times to count. The NEC might be a viable option for New Haven too. IIRC, the NEC scholarship limits are close to D2, the road trips would be manageable and there would be natural geographic rivalries from Day 1.
                      Last edited by CWP '68; 10-04-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

The shame of it is that, just as the NE10 reached a point of respectability and near parity both within the conference and in SR1, the conference took a huge step backwards by eliminating Championship Weekend and cutting back to a 10-game schedule. It's a great D2 basketball conference, and apparently that's the sport that really matters to the conference. And that's a real shame.
                        Last edited by CWP '68; 10-04-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWP '68 View Post
                          The shame of it is that, just as the NE10 reached a point of respectability and near parity both within the conference and in SR1, the conference took a huge step backwards by eliminating Championship Weekend and cutting back to a 10-game schedule. It's a great D2 basketball conference, and apparently that's the sport that really matters to the conference. And that's a real shame.
                          The Big East got hammered because they too desperately tried to be something they weren't - a football conference. I understand what the NE10 is doing by (I guess) trying to emphasize all sports, but it could hurt them in the long run with the schools who take football more seriously. I think at the very least they need to have a title game between the top two teams.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                            The Big East got hammered because they too desperately tried to be something they weren't - a football conference. I understand what the NE10 is doing by (I guess) trying to emphasize all sports, but it could hurt them in the long run with the schools who take football more seriously. I think at the very least they need to have a title game between the top two teams.
                            Why did they eliminate their championship weekend?

Comment

IIRC, only Post, New Haven and (I think) Assumption voted in favor of Championship Weekend in Week 11 before the 2017 season. Apparently the other schools didn't see the point of spending the money for the extra game. So, for the second straight year, the NE10 has a bye week in mid-season, and in all likelihood, only the first-place team will make it into the regional playoff.
                              Last edited by CWP '68; 10-09-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X