Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haven to D1?

Saw this on Twitter. Is this any more than a rumor?

"Hearing the University of New Haven got final internal approval to jump to Division I. Not sure of conference, but NEC (currently at 11 teams) seems most likely option. Have solid football facilities, will need upgrades elsewhere."

At this point it's probably a speculative rumor that actually started in September with the hiring of an AD who was previously at Kansas. I'd like to hear the facts from the UNH posters here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
      At this point it's probably a speculative rumor that actually started in September with the hiring of an AD who was previously at Kansas. I'd like to hear the facts from the UNH posters here.

Comment

https://www.courant.com/sports/colle...7vu-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Saw this on Twitter. Is this any more than a rumor?

"Hearing the University of New Haven got final internal approval to jump to Division I. Not sure of conference, but NEC (currently at 11 teams) seems most likely option. Have solid football facilities, will need upgrades elsewhere."
          https://mobile.twitter.com/robthomps...27580453593088

Comment

What are your thoughts about a potential move? I was just happy when they brought back football after dropping it!

Comment

Move to FCS-football is probably very much in play. I think it's worthwhile for them to petition the CAA or the Patriot League as opposed to the NEC.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

What are your thoughts about a potential move? I was just happy when they brought back football after dropping it!
                I'm a bit wary of the possible move - it costs an awful lot of money to make the move up, and while the university is probably in the best financial shape it has ever been right now after the capital campaign, it's still a significant investment and increase in cost and construction. I think I am biased since I was a student there during the Sparano years and think they can be at that level again in D2 even though the NE10 is, by its own philosophy, a student-before-athlete league. The university has been doing "more with less" with their athletics programs for decades and some of their facilities do need significant upgrades to even come up to good D2 standards. In particular, the basketball arena might seat 1000 on its best day and was smaller than the local high school's when when it was built in the 70's. The football field was awful before they put the turf in too, and while it seats about 4000 (a decent D2 stadium now), I don't know how they make it much bigger where it is located right now. No way they can get 10000 in that stadium right now, and parking for games is probably still a nightmare.

And then there's the question of competition - Is the university just moving up for a bigger payday, or do they think they can really make noise at that level? If it's the latter, the NEC is not really the place to do it on a permanent basis in my opinion. I do know Albany moved from the NE10 to the NEC and then the CAA (for football) - that might be a possible path for New Haven to take. I'll miss playing Southern CT State - that game is important to the area and the schools despite the lopsided record. I will say I was skeptical when Quinnipiac, a school similar in size to New Haven, made the move a while back, and it's worked for them. They nearly won a national title in ice hockey not that long ago.

But that being said, New Haven hired a guy in Zenger who is quite smart and skilled at fundraising and building new facilities. He hasn't had a great track record at hiring coaches (the last Kansas football coach before Les Miles sued the university after he was fired...but the lawsuit wasn't Zenger's fault, the coach was a bad choice), but that's another matter since the New Haven football program is in good hands right now. If New Haven football (or some other sport) can be what Quinnipiac is in ice hockey, then it's a great move. Until then, I need to see what happens and how long it will take to make the move. I just know I'm in no position to put my name on any of the new buildings.
                Last edited by cwfenn; 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Parking at New Haven games is still a problem. A move to FCS could put them in a position to play cross-town Yale on a frequent basis. [5 minutes away]

Comment

Yes it is being actively pursued. I was at a boosters meeting in Florida where the new AD and President Kaplan were both present and in favor of this happening. The Truth is if you look at our league and D2 overall many (most?) of the best teams are all considering moving up to lower division 1.
                    This seems to be the direction as it's either upgrade of fall behind. Not sure how Corona Virus is affecting this? Are we even going to have a season this year. It feels iffy to me.

Comment

D1 teams have requested a four year moratorium on teams reclassifying into their division.

And no, many/most of the best programs are not considering a move to Division I.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        D1 teams have requested a four year moratorium on teams reclassifying into their division.

And no, many/most of the best programs are not considering a move to Division I.
                        Ultimately the NE10, like the GLIAC, is in a bind because of their geography. Without FCS schools moving down or D3 schools moving up there is no obvious way to add teams. Whoever is left when they fall below critical mass may have to become FB INDIES and NE10 all other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Ultimately the NE10, like the GLIAC, is in a bind because of their geography. Without FCS schools moving down or D3 schools moving up there is no obvious way to add teams. Whoever is left when they fall below critical mass may have to become FB INDIES and NE10 all other sports.
                          Oh I understand the reasoning they use. I was responding to the obvious propaganda that the poster had received in the booster meeteing.

I think there will be more programs cut and there will be a few teams reclassify from FCS to D2 and from D2 to D3/NAIA in an attempt to cut costs and survive.

Comment

Covid-19 is quieting in CT - State is almost entirely open. New Haven TV channel decided it was a good time to air an interview with the New Haven AD. He sounds very committed to moving all sports to D-1 and has the backing of New Haven's Board of Governors. A number of facilities upgrades going on right now - including replacement of the 'Blue Turf' at Charger Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCatcirca73 View Post
                              Covid-19 is quieting in CT - State is almost entirely open. New Haven TV channel decided it was a good time to air an interview with the New Haven AD. He sounds very committed to moving all sports to D-1 and has the backing of New Haven's Board of Governors. A number of facilities upgrades going on right now - including replacement of the 'Blue Turf' at Charger Stadium.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X