Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the MEAC falls apart and (based on current rumors) Delaware State goes to the NEC, will a spot be available for New Haven there or any other conference. You might have another Augustana-Summit League situation happening.

Comment

With the notice on the other forum that Robert Morris is leaving the NEC with their football team going to the Big South, I think that leaves 7 teams in the NEC (8 once Merrimack exits the probation period). If DSU and New Haven moved in that would give the NEC 10 teams. Whether that's what the NEC wants is still to be seen.

Comment

Howard just became an associate member of the NEC for six sports. They are in a position to make a bigger move if the NEC wants them for all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Howard just became an associate member of the NEC for six sports. They are in a position to make a bigger move if the NEC wants them for all sports.
          That's a good point - Guessing the NEC would be much more open to accepting a current D1 member (especially one with a reputation like Howard) than accepting another D2, but I have no idea what their thought process is. If Delaware State moved it would be more attractive for Howard as well since it's a geographical rival.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

That's a good point - Guessing the NEC would be much more open to accepting a current D1 member (especially one with a reputation like Howard) than accepting another D2, but I have no idea what their thought process is. If Delaware State moved it would be more attractive for Howard as well since it's a geographical rival.
            Did you see that Delaware State is supposed to be buying D3 Wesley? There could be an announcement today.

Comment

According to the recent big donor update it is still planned for a move to D1 Lower division as of Summer of 2021.

The good news is I am not only now living in Chicago Suburbs but I am getting married in Vegas next Saturday. The bad news is I will no longer be able to attend UNH games or follow enough to post much.

Comment

Congrats on the marriage, hope it's a good one.

From what I've seen, New Haven is doing a lot of the right things to make the move up to D1. I think the athletics fund will help it be sustainable and prevent it from going the way of Hartford.

Comment

With the America East, MAAC, and Big South losing teams to the CAA, there are rumors that these conferences will backfill using teams from the NEC. Could this provide the opening for New Haven to move up to D1 and join the NEC?

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                    With the America East, MAAC, and Big South losing teams to the CAA, there are rumors that these conferences will backfill using teams from the NEC. Could this provide the opening for New Haven to move up to D1 and join the NEC?

Comment

https://www.newhaven.edu/news/releas...ition-plan.php

Comment

https://strategicplan.newhaven.edu/o...possibilities/

Also Both Greg Eichhorn (Vice president for enrollment and student success) and Sheahon Zenger (Current university AD) said they have signed confidentiality agreements with D1 conferences that they have had discussions with, but did not disclosed which conferences. Ummmmm, wondering what those conferences would be.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-...81547998864702

Last edited by NewHaven Alum; 03-20-2022, 02:39 PM.

Comment

This tweet was posted to another board which gets a lot of information. It not only is saying New Haven and Stonehill. New Haven is not a shock, but what about Stonehill? They are also saying the schools would join the NEC, with Bryant going to America East in D1.

https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/st...83144530894851

Comment

Originally posted by realignmentreport1 View Post
                            This tweet was posted to another board which gets a lot of information. It not only is saying New Haven and Stonehill. New Haven is not a shock, but what about Stonehill? They are also saying the schools would join the NEC, with Bryant going to America East in D1.

https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/st...83144530894851
                            Last edited by cwfenn; 03-21-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHaven Alum View Post
                              https://strategicplan.newhaven.edu/o...possibilities/

Also Both Greg Eichhorn (Vice president for enrollment and student success) and Sheahon Zenger (Current university AD) said they have signed confidentiality agreements with D1 conferences that they have had discussions with, but did not disclosed which conferences. Ummmmm, wondering what those conferences would be.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-...81547998864702
                              I would bet it's the NEC, the CAA is the only other option with football, but the schools are at a higher level. Villanova is a solid football program in the CAA as an affiliate (although New Haven is 1-0 against them!). I doubt the CAA would even look at a D2 school. Three current NEC football schools were in the NE10 at some point, so the fit is there for an "easier" entry to D1.

I honestly think New Haven is a better fit for the MAAC since the footprint of the conference is smaller and New Haven is more of a New York area school than a New England school. When they dropped football, they were in the ECC, which was mainly New York area schools, and if you look at the athletic rosters, the majority of the players (at least for football and men's basketball) are from NY and NJ. I believe Quinnipiac joined the MAAC after a few years in the NEC. The America East could work as well since it covers roughly the same area as the NE10 with the exception of UMBC - maybe they're looking for another program with Hartford leaving? But for those two conferences it's the question of what to do with football.

I was concerned they would move too quickly to do D1, but that clearly hasn't been the case. Zenger is playing the long game, and I think that's wise. I think a lot of work needs to be done to make a case for D1. If and when it happens, I just hope the move is done with an eye upward, to try to qualify for a conference that's overall better than the NEC, which is near the bottom of all of D1. If it means at some point splitting off football in one conference and having everything else in another, I'm OK with that. The CAA accepted UAlbany after they were in the NEC for a while (they were original NE10 members too), so maybe there's a precedent? Can't drop football again, no way.

Is it more viable to be among the lowest D1 programs (that's what the NEC is now) or stay as a mid-level D2 (I guess the NE10 is low-to-mid-level D2)? I don't get paid to try to answer that question.

Comment

It's been strongly rumored they're putting it in the Big South, like both Robert Morris and Monmouth did when leaving the NEC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X