Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost heaven....and nearly as far.

Anyone care to venture a guess why St Anselm has scheduled a week 10 OOC game versus BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE, in BLUEFIELD, WV, which is an 806 mile, 12 hour and 41 minute trip from Manchester ? By my calculations they are on the bus for MORE THAN A DAY !!! On the plus side they get to visit what I believe is probably the only HBCU college that is majority (90%) white. Don't ask, it has to do with 20th century WV politics.

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Anyone care to venture a guess why St Anselm has scheduled a week 10 OOC game versus BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE, in BLUEFIELD, WV, which is an 806 mile, 12 hour and 41 minute trip from Manchester ? By my calculations they are on the bus for MORE THAN A DAY !!! On the plus side they get to visit what I believe is probably the only HBCU college that is majority (90%) white. Don't ask, it has to do with 20th century WV politics.
    West Virginia State is another HBCU school that has a majority of white students. There aren't many African-American people in West Virginia (around 4% of the population). I think it's mostly due to economic reasons. A lot of coal mining related jobs are gone and many people of all races have moved to other states for work.

Why did St. Anselm College schedule a game so far away? I have no idea, but I commend them for doing so. I think playing teams out of your region is a good thing.

??????
    Last edited by crixus; 04-21-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Probably the closest available D2 opponent.

Comment

Road trips build character??

Comment

To be fair, the term "HBCU" is an official designation from the federal government, with a big emphasis on the "H" part - it's not in anyway reflective of the contemporary demographics of the school.

That being said, in the case of BSC, it looks like it was definitely state politics over shifting demographics/changes in structure.

I actually found an interesting article on the matter from Time that looks into it a bit more:

Historically Black Colleges Are Becoming More White | Time

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Why did St. Anselm College schedule a game so far away? I have no idea, but I commend them for doing so. I think playing teams out of your region is a good thing.

??????

Comment

I always enjoy these out of region and on-conference games. Kudos to both programs. But who is to say that they wont fly?

I know the GNAC schools take 14 hour bus rides to some of their games. It isn't unheard of in the D-2 world.

Comment

It's actually a Week 11 OOC game (St. Anselm has an open date on Week 2) and I had to double-check to see if it was Bluefield State in West Virginia or Bluefield College in Virginia. I honestly forgot that Bluefield began re-sponsoring football.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
                  I always enjoy these out of region and on-conference games. Kudos to both programs. But who is to say that they wont fly?

I know the GNAC schools take 14 hour bus rides to some of their games. It isn't unheard of in the D-2 world.
                  Mercer County (WV) airport is right there but looks a bit small. And somewhat eerily like Huntington Tri-state Airport. So take the busses.

Comment

Wow, good for St. A'S for finding a ooc this far out. Never heard of Bluefield.

Comment

I expect Bluefield State College to be placed in SR1 making this an in-region game.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

There aren't many DII schools that can budget for flights for football. The NCAA picks up the tab for playoffs, but not regular season...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

There aren't many DII schools that can budget for flights for football. The NCAA picks up the tab for playoffs, but not regular season...
                          For the most part you are correct, but when you travel outside of our region it is more possible. I know Humboldt State offered to fly ESU out for a game a few years back, and even some of the LSC schools offered the same when they tried to fill all their OOC. Heck, ESU got a small pay day for traveling to Ferris 2 years ago.

Outside of our region schools are budgeted much better then us, and have the resources to accommodate much more.

The LSC and the GNAC have a scheduling agreement. You think Angelo State is driving to Central Washington?

I have always said one of the perks of the PSAC is how tight their geography is, but it is a disadvantage when you have 3 schools within an hour of each other recruiting the same kids.

Comment

"For the most part you are correct, but when you travel outside of our region it is more possible. I know Humboldt State offered to fly ESU out for a game a few years back, and even some of the LSC schools offered the same when they tried to fill all their OOC. Heck, ESU got a small pay day for traveling to Ferris 2 years ago.

Outside of our region schools are budgeted much better then us, and have the resources to accommodate much more.

The LSC and the GNAC have a scheduling agreement. You think Angelo State is driving to Central Washington?

I have always said one of the perks of the PSAC is how tight their geography is, but it is a disadvantage when you have 3 schools within an hour of each other recruiting the same kids."

Thanks for the nit-pick.

Comment

Ohio Dominican is open week 2 if St A. is interested in getting thumped.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X