Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica

https://wibx950.com/could-the-utica-...as-division-i/)

If they go D2, I'd guess the ECC might be the most likely landing spot, given that the conference has recently been recruiting new members from D3; but Utica has football, which would have to be independent or a NE10 affiliate.

I saw that and I feel they fit better as a full NE10 member.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
      Perhaps, although the NE10 has basically zero history of inviting non-D2 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
        That's the best D2 fit but aside from non-fb Lemoyne and St Rose the rest of the league is about 200 mile road trips and in upstate NY and NE those roads can be treacherous for 4 months of the school year. For one sport it strikes me as a bad decision.

Comment

Utica has 6 sports not sponsored by the ECC of the sports that would be in D2. Those sports span all 3 seasons that would most likely end up in the NE10. I'm fairly confident Utica knows how to handle the roads up there and it's no different from what the other schools in the NE10 deal with.

Comment

Comment

They'll be full D2 in the fall; so far I've seen them on the schedule for Franklin Pierce (the only NE10 team that's released a schedule) and Northern Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

They'll be full D2 in the fall; so far I've seen them on the schedule for Franklin Pierce (the only NE10 team that's released a schedule) and Northern Michigan.
                Nice find, thank you - you're a wizard when it comes to finding this stuff!

Comment

https://wibx950.com/could-the-utica-...as-division-i/)

If they go D2, I'd guess the ECC might be the most likely landing spot, given that the conference has recently been recruiting new members from D3; but Utica has football, which would have to be independent or a NE10 affiliate.
                  There are a handful of D3 schools who compete in D1 ice hockey - Rochester Institute of Technology, RPI (no, I'm not going to try and spell the entire name of the school out), St. Lawrence, Union (NY) and Colorado College - though I believe those schools were grandfathered in to where they could remain in D1 for hockey and D3 in other sports.

That said, with the rumors about New Haven considering a move to D1, Utica and Post (Conn.) might be potential future candidates for the NE-10, at least in football.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

They're also on St. Anselm's schedule:

https://saintanselmhawks.com/sports/...?path=football

October 24 in Waterbury.

If a few more NE-10 schedules come out and Post appears on them, then that might tell us that Post will become a NE-10 affiliate member in football as early as next season, if not 2023.

Comment

Perhaps, although the NE10 has basically zero history of inviting non-D2 schools.
                      True, but you can't help but wonder if some of the NE-10 football schools might be interested in adding Utica, should they make the move to D2, so they don't have to play a conference opponent twice in a season.

EDIT: I forgot there are already nine football schools in the NE-10; presuming Post is in fact on track to become an affiliate in football, adding Utica would push the NE-10 to 11 football schools.

Comment

Update on this: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Votes-to-.php

It appears that Utica has a D2 conference ready to invite them (no indication of which) and is just waiting for a hockey conference invitation. If they get that, sounds like they'll apply to D2 next year.

(Also, that same article corroborates the rumors of Stonehill moving up.)

Comment

Update on this: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Votes-to-.php

It appears that Utica has a D2 conference ready to invite them (no indication of which) and is just waiting for a hockey conference invitation. If they get that, sounds like they'll apply to D2 next year.

(Also, that same article corroborates the rumors of Stonehill moving up.)
                          So, if Stonehill is indeed making the move to D1 and the NEC, then maybe Post and Utica become NE-10 affiliate members to give the league 10 football teams (I know this contradicts what I posted the other day, but this is actually the first I heard about a potential Stonehill move to D1).

Comment

Much has been made about travel for Utica in the NE10. I did this out of pure curiosity. Comparing mileage for Utica with the 2022 versions of the ECC and NE10. Based on miles with shortest travel time from Google.

UDC is an obvious outlier skewing the ECC higher. ECC calculation without UDC is 217.4 Avg and 258 Long.

D'Youville 196 Adelphi 261
                            Daemen College 188 American International College 185
                            District of Columbia 385 Assumption 230
                            Mercy College 229 Bentley 259
                            Molloy College 258 Franklin Pierce 208
                            Queens College 246 Le Moyne College 48
                            Roberts Wesleyan College 143 New Haven 248
                            St. Thomas Aquinas College 224 Pace 245
                            College of Staten Island 255 Saint Anselm College 298
                            Saint Michael's College 188
                            College of Saint Rose 95
                            Southern Connecticut State 242
                            Southern New Hampshire 255
                            Avg 236.0 212.5
                            Long 385 298

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

So, if Stonehill is indeed making the move to D1 and the NEC, then maybe Post and Utica become NE-10 affiliate members to give the league 10 football teams (I know this contradicts what I posted the other day, but this is actually the first I heard about a potential Stonehill move to D1).
                              Last edited by cwfenn; 04-06-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X